Quantcast

Electric motorcycles...zoom zoom without the vroom vroom?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I just discovered that in the roughly 26 acres of undeveloped terrain behind the house I just bought, there are motorcycle/atv trails.

My company is also moving outside of the boston area and I'll now be commuting separately from the wife.

I'd love to get an electric, rechargeable motorcycle that I can tool around in the woods with without getting caught and ride to work on a daily basis on the cheap. Does anybody have any experience with what's out there? Looks like Zero, Brammo, and a few other stragglers? Can one be made out of existing parts? I don't want to spend a ton of money (think sub $6000), and I don't need full on MX capability nor 0-600mph in 2 seconds, but I'd love something I can go bust berms behind the house with, then recharge overnight and ride to work.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I have no idea if what you're looking for exists, but if you shine the bat logo searchlight just right, ohio might show up and tell you...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ohio's bike is super sweet, but it costs roughly 10gs more than I'd like to spend, and it looks like a dedicated hardcore MX competitor. I'd like something more akin to a "toy" than a full on death machine.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Oh, I'll be traveling about 10 miles on suburban streets. I've ridden my bike there, and will continue to use that as an option, but being able to tear up some super secret trails is pretty appealing.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ohio's bike is super sweet, but it costs roughly 10gs more than I'd like to spend, and it looks like a dedicated hardcore MX competitor. I'd like something more akin to a "toy" than a full on death machine.
The trick to the numbers is on the BRD it's all up front. Here is a rough breakdown I did a while back when looking at the Empulse:

MSRP $13k - State/Fed kicks = $10k. If I average 10k a year, the cost of electricity is $72/year.

My Triumph MSRP was $7k. Same 10K a year @ $3.25 $812 a year with 40mpg. Triumph 10k service is $1200 including valve adjustment (a bitch to do yourself, I wouldn't). Oil/filter changes every 2k @ $20 is another $100/year

Here is the kicker. The Triumph has crap brakes/suspension/wheels compared to the BRD.

Triumph upgrades: Ohlins fork and rear shock $2500, Brembo brakes $1000, OZ wheels $3500. Now my $7k Triumph is $14k with no fed/state rebate and will cost me about $2k a year to own.

Now here is the best part. 3 years from now when the battery needs to be replace, the new battery will likely be either smaller/lighter or higher in capacity (or both), same goes for the motor because storage is still being developed. When the Triumph engine needs to be rebuilt, it will be the same 955cc it was, maybe get a little more out with additional upgrades.

So is the BRD spendy? Yes it is on the surface, but the numbers don't lie. I spent $14k building my R1 to have the same level of wheels/brakes/suspension as the stock setup on the BRD.

Maybe they will offer a cheap trail model with cheap OE wheels/brakes/suspension?

<edit>

:drool:

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I've had the chance to ride a Zero MX in the dirt, super fun and handled well. The throttle took a little bit getting used to compared to a gas motor, but by the end of the session I wasn't thinking about it anymore.

I love the idea of how quiet they are and the whole no emissions thing. If I had the cash I would totally buy one, but at the moment all I can afford is a normal moto.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The trick to the numbers is on the BRD it's all up front. Here is a rough breakdown I did a while back when looking at the Empulse:
I'm going to disagree slightly. The BRD is a great ride, but it starts at 15k, and fed kickbacks are 10%, for 13500 total cost. State rebates are slimmer and there are only <10 states participating. Also, the batteries will likely cost $3000 to replace when it's time, in 2-3 years, probably less with even more frequent use/recharging.

You're also going to have to recharge your batteries or buy a spare pack in order to keep riding. Your triumph can simply be refueled. So, add $3000 to the cost of the BRD to be able to ride half as long as your gas powered buddies, and you're paying a premium to ride less.

Now, I'm not trying to universally pan the electric bike, but I just don't see them as comparable to a gas bike no matter how you try and justify it. You pay more for a slower bike. You get less ride time. You will likely have to replace the batteries in a few years of regular use. I feel like comparing them to a CR250 is illogical and not practical. If you fit in the relatively small niche that they satisfy, then they're perfect, but they'll never have the range performance or practicality of a gas bike. I just don't like the comparison.

That being said, I'm still interested in one because A) my commute will be short, B) recharging the bike is cheaper than buying gas, C) it's quiet, so I can theoretically bomb around on the trails behind the house unnoticed by neighbors....I just can't afford a BRD or likely a brand new KTM, and if I could, I'd probably buy a 7k gas bike with limitless range, and then continue to look into a small, off-road only, electric bike for dorking around on the backyard trails.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm going to disagree slightly. The BRD is a great ride, but it starts at 15k, and fed kickbacks are 10%, for 13500 total cost. State rebates are slimmer and there are only <10 states participating. Also, the batteries will likely cost $3000 to replace when it's time, in 2-3 years, probably less with even more frequent use/recharging.

You're also going to have to recharge your batteries or buy a spare pack in order to keep riding. Your triumph can simply be refueled. So, add $3000 to the cost of the BRD to be able to ride half as long as your gas powered buddies, and you're paying a premium to ride less.

Now, I'm not trying to universally pan the electric bike, but I just don't see them as comparable to a gas bike no matter how you try and justify it. You pay more for a slower bike. You get less ride time. You will likely have to replace the batteries in a few years of regular use. I feel like comparing them to a CR250 is illogical and not practical. If you fit in the relatively small niche that they satisfy, then they're perfect, but they'll never have the range performance or practicality of a gas bike. I just don't like the comparison..
Not sure of the ride time on the BRD, but I know the Empulse goes 100+ miles on a charge (with a top speed of over 100mph). Not sure how many miles of dirt you ride in a session, but 100 miles is a lot of trail and with a 2-4 hour charge time, you could actually ride quite a bit.

Figure ride for 2 hours at roughly 30mph average, you are just over half empty. Stop for lunch, charge for 90 minutes and you could be back at full load. Or ride for 4 hours without putting any gas in. Try that on a moto with standard tank, my YZ was a 2 gallon tank.

Yes, a backup battery would be nice, but you would be surprised to see just how much seat time you get if you look at the numbers. Not to mention if you've ever had to adjust the valves on a CRF, it might make you think again.

But you are right, you are paying a premium, as I would expect for now as it's still very new. But with 2 strokes going out of fashion, 4 strokes in the woods are not too far behind. Stealth, sleek, and low maintenance are worth a lot to me. I will be looking to get one for ride season.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i want one like this.....

smaller rear fender when finished plzzzz....

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I wasn't recommending his bike. I was recommending asking him if what you're looking for exists or is coming down the pipe :D