Quantcast

Electrical question

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Does anyone know of a good way to identify which Romex line is going to a specific switch? I'm adding 2 lights in and want to splice the new Romex into the existing line. There are 4 lines going into a small hole in the wall, so I can't identify which one is coming from the switch for the other lights on the same switch. I can't just drop it into the wall and pull it through the outlet box because all of the top wire routes are full (and it would be virtually impossible).
I'm planning on just cutting a hole in the drywall, splicing, and patching.
@dan-o @johnbryanpeters @Adventurous

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
First, you can't have a junction box into an enclosed wall. Your splicing should be accessible.

As far as identifying your wire, you would need a wire tracer.

I wonder if the cheap ones actually works though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
First, you can't have a junction box into an enclosed wall. Your splicing should be accessible.

I have never used a tracer. Usually short one end and perform a continuity check, obviously will all power off and any other possible connections disconnected. A 9 volt battery connected to an open circuit with volt meter also works. That can identify any branching circuits.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Good point. I think you told me that before too... And I forgot I have one of those in one of my tool bags - time to dig.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I made a fuckton of Waffle batter. I fixed the cord that somehow became detached during the washing process. Its a pretty simple device. However. One side heats up and the other does not. Do not flush the wasted half cooked batter down the toilet without securing a plunger first...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Having worked a few DIY house fires I learned two important things. The claims adjuster will ask who did the work if you did it they will ask if you have a contractors Lic? if no so sorry no coverage. two no contractor or inspection you get the full cost of services bill from the fire dept. I hire people to do major electrical and all gas lines for those reasons