Quantcast

electrician monkey dot com

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Jeebus I can't stay neutral, watt is your resistance to relaying your concerns to a professional sparky? Is your capacitance for generating funds gonna hertz the bank? Farad long time you'll be fused to the man! You may even end up inverted if your service panel looks like that!

Seriously though it looks like that run needs to be replaced. I hope its in the mud room.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
You guys are really crimping his style with all these puns, maybe start a new thread to use as a conduit for all your asshattery?

Now about Jks current dilemma, this may be a polarizing statement, but I think he can handle it himself. Just throw some Ac/Dc on the stereo and get to knocking holes in the walls. Replace the entire wire run between that box and the one feeding it, easy peasy

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yes, that was aluminum wiring. house was built in the early 60's, wasn't uncommon in that era. whole neighborhood has it i had just never seen something that messed up in the times ive done electrical work. turns out the dummies that did the reno work on the house before we bought it didn't use a CO/ALR outlet in this spot, so it eventually fried itself. cut out the bad section, installed a new box, and wired appropriately.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
yes, that was aluminum wiring. house was built in the early 60's, wasn't uncommon in that era. whole neighborhood has it i had just never seen something that messed up in the times ive done electrical work. turns out the dummies that did the reno work on the house before we bought it didn't use a CO/ALR outlet in this spot, so it eventually fried itself. cut out the bad section, installed a new box, and wired appropriately.
Yes that's important, if you used wire nuts to extend the wires with copper, your supposed to use a special wire nut for that. The expansion & contraction of the aluminum wire is usually the culprit in addition to using CO only outlets for electrical fires. Like this, if not, the same thing can happen again down the road.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes that's important, if you used wire nuts to extend the wires with copper, your supposed to use a special wire nut for that. The expansion & contraction of the aluminum wire is usually the culprit in addition to using CO only outlets for electrical fires. Like this, if not, the same thing can happen again down the road.

yea it was interesting to say the least. we bought the house from a real estate agent, and this was her first (and probably last) flip. a new circuit breaker had been installed as part of the reno, and i know that was done by a certified electrician, but some of the other work in the house was very obviously done by a GC, and i'm assuming this outlet was one of them.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
yea it was interesting to say the least. we bought the house from a real estate agent, and this was her first (and probably last) flip. a new circuit breaker had been installed as part of the reno, and i know that was done by a certified electrician, but some of the other work in the house was very obviously done by a GC, and i'm assuming this outlet was one of them.
More than likely, you're correct. My old Tahoe place (just sold last May) was built in 1970 and had aluminum wire. I just had to be careful with all the electrical connections. The AL 120v wire itself is safe, the connection points can sometimes be a problem if not done right, like your house. You should probable check every outlet & switch to make sure they are all AL/CO

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
More than likely, you're correct. My old Tahoe place (just sold last May) was built in 1970 and had aluminum wire. I just had to be careful with all the electrical connections. The AL 120v wire itself is safe, the connection points can sometimes be a problem if not done right, like your house. You should probable check every outlet & switch to make sure they are all AL/CO
i've replaced quite a few switches, outlets, and fixtures in the house so far and they were all copper. so at least *some* of the AL wiring was replaced with copper during the reno. this was my first time encountering AL wiring.