Quantcast

Electricians

Just curious how many people on here are electricians? Did you go through the apprenticeship programs? Was it worth it? Have you specialized?

As my other post(medical professionals) has stated I'm running into brick walls and researching other avenue's. I saw the hydro electric substation operator apprentice programs as well as others that offer a descent salary once you reach the journeyman level. I'm interested in this field, the pay is good(right?) and you stay on the move where things don't get stagnit like my previous admin job...

How do you like your job, what program did you do, and what's an average day like? Are there constant risk factors involved?

Thanks...choosing a career is rough if your not a silver spoon.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
my dad's an electrician (master certified electrician, i believe?). he didn't finish high school and didn't go right into it. don't know his past, but i think he just did odd jobs, learning as he went. since i've been born, he's only had 3 different jobs, including a failed business of his own. today, he works for about $18/hr (which is probably a good deal higher than the average wage in town), 8 or 9hrs a day, plus he does his own work on the side. rarely has a saturday and sunday off. he loves it, though. then again, he also likes the people he works with. he was offered a job doing work all around Texas, being paid $30/hr + given a new super duty Ford as a 'work truck' with gas paid. he opted to turn it down, in favor of is his current job, and side jobs.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I was an electrician in the Seabees. When I got out, I got a slot in the local apprenticiship program run by the IBEW. It was a 5 year long program and I decided to take a leave of absence in my second year to go to college and get a degree in electrical engineering.

I know a large number of union electricians that earn $20-30K per year more than your avg Elect Enginerd but you can't have any time off.

It's a good trade and learning a trade is always a good career move.

In the local area IBEW union jurneymen are pulling in $22-25/hr for an inside wireman and more if you are a lineman working for the electric power company.

N8 said:
I was an electrician in the Seabees. When I got out, I got a slot in the local apprenticiship program run by the IBEW. It was a 5 year long program and I decided to take a leave of absence in my second year to go to college and get a degree in electrical engineering.

I know a large number of union electricians that earn $20-30K per year more than your avg Elect Enginerd but you can't have any time off.

In the local area IBEW union jurneymen are pulling in $22-25/hr for an inside wireman and more if you are a lineman working for the electric power company.
So for example, an outside wireman would be the guy who works for the city or major power industry like BPA that you see working on the transformers on the poles, or running the lines, etc? Isn't this a relatively dangerous aspect of being an electrician? I'm just wondering why there are so many openings for this type of job, is it because of high drop out or fatality rates?

An inside electrician is like your business or residential electrician who wires homes and buildings correct? Once one reaches the journeyman stage, can they continue with training and education to specialize, such as high tech installations (home theater system, computer networks, alarm system and lighting?)

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the field, here in Washington they claim an apprentice makes 50% of a journeyman's pay. Roughly $15 an hour and it increases 5% every six months if one achieves the proper knowledge. Ultimately, I'd like to get the training and then work for an agency, goverment perhaps or a private company that does really fun type jobs like alarm systems & or high tech digital systems like Bill Gates house lol...don't we all.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I put a new flourescent light in my kitchen today, does that count? (Probably not since the damn thing still doesn't work.)

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
NineFingers -- I recently closed my electrical contracting business. I've been a wiremonkey for 10 years and worked in a lot of facets of the industry. My favorite, by far, was industrial machinery wiring/maintenence. AC/DC drives, PLCs, motion control, etc... That stuff was fun, AND, I didn't have to crawl up under your nasty-ass crawlspace or up in your 3' attic space in the middle of July to do it!!!

If you want, PM me with your phone number and I'll answer any questions for you I'm able.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
My pal is a sparky with the Union. You gotta work pretty hard and take schooling for around 5 years, then when you top out at Journeymen you make around $35 and hour plus bennies and get dumb lazy and fat just like all Sparky's are. :monkey:

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Skookum said:
Go play with a fork and a light socket sparky.... ;)
Or how 'bout that time I grounded myself to one leg of a 480volt panel. Woke up on the floor and then tasted copper for a friggen week.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:

Wow, our Jurneyman wages here in Nor Cal range between $34-$55 an hour, but the again the cost of living is so much greater. Damn 20 years ago I was making $15 an hour as an apprentice plumber not bad for just out of high school living at home back in 1984.

Brian HCM#1 said:
Wow, our Jurneyman wages here in Nor Cal range between $34-$55 an hour, but the again the cost of living is so much greater. Damn 20 years ago I was making $15 an hour as an apprentice plumber not bad for just out of high school living at home back in 1984.
Damn I'll move to NorCal... that means apprentice's make between $17-26.50 an hour. :)

N8 said:

I can't believe that you didn't get credit for the years spent as a Seabee. I was in the Navy, personel, and those guys were always out there bustin' there @ss! You'd think they'd award at least a journeyman's cert. to a four year term electrical seabee!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
NineFingers said:
Damn I'll move to NorCal... that means apprentice's make between $17-26.50 an hour. :)
make sure to check out how much rent is in the bay area before you jump ship :think:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Brian HCM#1 said:
My ex-husband just turned out last summer. He is making $40 an hour. Pretty good money and great benefits, but remember it's a huge commitment. 5 years of schooling and some of the testing really turns a lot of people off. He makes more on side jobs durning the weekend than 40 hours durning the week.

Snacks said:
My ex-husband just turned out last summer. He is making $40 an hour. Pretty good money and great benefits, but remember it's a huge commitment. 5 years of schooling and some of the testing really turns a lot of people off. He makes more on side jobs durning the weekend than 40 hours durning the week.
Yeah, 5 years is a big commitment, however, so was 4 years in the Navy only to get out with experience in a field I hate.(admin)

Then, I spend 2 years studying pre-requisites for the medical field only to find that my grades aren't good enough. It's fun acrueing school debt and not earning money only to turn around and start something new again :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

At least as an electrician, I just have to apply myself and I know there's light at the end of the tunnel.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
NineFingers said:
I can't believe that you didn't get credit for the years spent as a Seabee. I was in the Navy, personel, and those guys were always out there bustin' there @ss! You'd think they'd award at least a journeyman's cert. to a four year term electrical seabee!

Yep.. you'd think so BUT... what it did get me was a foot in the door in a very tough to get into from the outside clique and I was often left on the jobsite solo as a first year apprentice without the supervision of a journeyman (something that is taboo in the union).

Where my Seabee schooling paid off was college where I gained a couple dozen hours of credit for all the A, C and advanced skills schools I attended in the Navy.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMike said:
V=ir.....

I prefer the more 'refined' version of E=ir

:p

Originally Posted by Brian HCM#1
I just checked the IBEW website for our area and scale is $21.80/hr.

If you really want to make BIG BUCKS.... become a plumber!! But you can't be afraid to wrestle bare handed with poo... :dead:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
wooglin said:
I put a new flourescent light in my kitchen today, does that count? (Probably not since the damn thing still doesn't work.)
Hey! It does work! Well sorta. There's a glimmer of light at one end, but the whole bulb doesn't light up. Any ideas why that may be from you pros out there? The whole fixture is brand new, so I'm reasonably sure its a wiring issue. Not enough power getting through maybe? Should I have cleaned the leads?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
wooglin said:
Hey! It does work! Well sorta. There's a glimmer of light at one end, but the whole bulb doesn't light up. Any ideas why that may be from you pros out there? The whole fixture is brand new, so I'm reasonably sure its a wiring issue. Not enough power getting through maybe? Should I have cleaned the leads?

Could be several things... like a loose connection... not only the one you made up in the junction box but on the fixture itself. It could also be that you have one or both bulbs not seated correctly in the holders. Since the fixture is new there is a small chance that the ballast is bad... this happens occationally.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
How convenient of a thread?

Is a GFCI breaker better than the GFCI outlets? I've got a GFCI breaker that seems to be going bad and I was wondering if I should replace it with a normal breaker then change the first outlet in the circuit to GFCI outlet.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
DRB said:
How convenient of a thread?

Is a GFCI breaker better than the GFCI outlets? I've got a GFCI breaker that seems to be going bad and I was wondering if I should replace it with a normal breaker then change the first outlet in the circuit to GFCI outlet.
Just replace the breaker with a new one, all the receptacles its on are already wired for the GFCI breaker.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Brian HCM#1 said:
Just replace the breaker with a new one, all the receptacles its on are already wired for the GFCI breaker.
Why I was asking was that if there is no difference between the two, I could get the reset inside the house as opposed to outside in the circuit box.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DRB said:
Why I was asking was that if there is no difference between the two, I could get the reset inside the house as opposed to outside in the circuit box.

If it were me, I'd simply change out the first receptical to a GFI as you suggested. Unless it was a bedroom outlet breaker.. then I'd install an arc-fault breaker in the panel UNLESS the wiring was old and the circuit didn't have a dedicated neutral for it.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:
If it were me, I'd simply change out the first receptical to a GFI as you suggested. Unless it was a bedroom outlet breaker.. then I'd install an arc-fault breaker in the panel UNLESS the wiring was old and the circuit didn't have a dedicated neutral for it.
Then you'll have to change the GFCI breaker to a regular one, or when the GFCI receptacle trips the breaker will probably too when it comes to reseting it.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Brian HCM#1 said:
Then you'll have to change the GFCI breaker to a regular one, or when the GFCI receptacle trips the breaker will probably too when it comes to reseting it.

Yep... forgot about that...

....by the time you buy a new breaker and a GFI receptical you'd be way cheaper if you just bought a new GFI breaker...

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
DRB said:
That's what I'd recommend to a customer. As long as you know which receptacle is the first in the string, you're good to go.