Quantcast

Electronic Dura Ace

J

JRB

Take this crap to the roadie forum. :D

*I think it's kind of a cool idea, but I also know how often cycling computers can fail because of dirty connections.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It could be part of an integrated system that measures heart rate, power output, speed and cadence to provide an automatic transmission because shifting a bicycle is very difficult.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Ghey.

Edit: I guess maybe roadies need this sort of assistance as their poor icle fingery-wingerys are so teeny and delicate.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
what happens when it fails? Can you switch to manual?

It's a bad marketing idea cuz roadies like simplicity and too many will spend a fortune reducing weight as well.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Campy has something similar in development. Batteries have come along quite a way since the Mavic effort. I dunno, I like the simplicity/reliability of cables but it would be pretty cool if they can rig up wireless...imagine being able to hack into your buddy's derailleur and shifting him into the big ring when he's suffering up a nasty climb!

:rofl:

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
man thats out there, I am so in the dark ages on roadie technology, I still have down tube shifters on my bike....

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
OGRipper said:
Campy has something similar in development. Batteries have come along quite a way since the Mavic effort. I dunno, I like the simplicity/reliability of cables but it would be pretty cool if they can rig up wireless...imagine being able to hack into your buddy's derailleur and shifting him into the big ring when he's suffering up a nasty climb!

:rofl:
One of my original questions during a Mavic Mektronic clinic @ '98 I-bike. What about other intereference? Ride by a gracery strore with auto doors and Boom! your in the big ring. That cop throws a radar gun on your bike and you shift a bunch of gears:dead:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I can see this getting refined to the point where it's not really any bigger than the current stuff, you might even be able to save weight due to less mechanical parts (not too much in the shifters, lighter or non-existent cables, etc.). Also interesting to see this being developed at the same time as new transmission ideas - eventually derailleurs will be obsolete so it makes me wonder what else they intend for this stuff.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LordOpie said:
what happens when it fails? Can you switch to manual?

It's a bad marketing idea cuz roadies like simplicity and too many will spend a fortune reducing weight as well.
There are a lot of people that will buy it just because it is the latest stuff too.

LBS sold two $7000 carbon fiber Specialized FS XC rigs sight unseen. The high tech carbon fiber frame weights about the same as every other 4" travel XC bike out there.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
the mavic version was heavy. this looks light. i'd like to play with it sometime

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Changleen said:
Edit: I guess maybe roadies need this sort of assistance as their poor icle fingery-wingerys are so teeny and delicate.
yeah but most avid roadies could probably crush your head with their thighs.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Zark said:
One of my original questions during a Mavic Mektronic clinic @ '98 I-bike. What about other intereference? Ride by a gracery strore with auto doors and Boom! your in the big ring. That cop throws a radar gun on your bike and you shift a bunch of gears:dead:
Mektronic was wireless. Both the new Campy and this Shimano group are wired to the shifters so interference won't be a problem.

I had mektronic for awhile on a cannondale. It worked great. You could shift from 3 different spots and you could pre-shift as well. I did 75 miles in the rain and it worked without fail. The next ride it worked as well.

The front shifter was a piece of crap however.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
A little more info and some more pics:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/news/03-14

This is kind of interesting but I don't really like the idea of automatic anything or sensors:

"Another advantage of the system is that the front derailleur does not need 'trimming' to stop the chain rubbing. A sensor detects the position of the chain and moves the front derailleur automatically."

Just ride Campy and trim your own friggin front derailleur all you want. :)

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
Westy said:
It could be part of an integrated system that measures heart rate, power output, speed and cadence to provide an automatic transmission because shifting a bicycle is very difficult.
dOOOd
real simple answer to that there dEEE limma...single speed.

come ON man what were you thinking

J

JRB

Thanks for the link and the bump, OG. I think it's weird, but it intrigues me.