Quantcast

Electronic suspension

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Rockshox's new "Flight Attendant" fork and shock popped up today (and quickly deleted - maybe embargo break). New electronic Pike, Lyrik and Zeb plus Super Deluxe shock.

That annoying prick that shows up to every ride and has forgot something now has batteries to worry about for their boingers

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I hope it's like the dropper and you have to remove the battery to charge it but they make a different style of battery for each product, that would be great!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Electronic suspension is definitely upon us...

Rockshox

Fox

And some interesting reading

As anything electronic and new, I am strongly not in favor of it to begin with, like I was with smartphones many years ago... we will see how it evolves. For the moment I don't know what I would want from it. Maybe different compression tunes depending on if I am sitting on the saddle or standing sprinting or standing riding downhill?
It could definitely make Scott's cockpits less crowdy, that's for sure !

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
even better:

"The cleverness comes at a cost: FlightAttendant-equipped bikes will initially cost $11,000+.

FlightAttendant-equipped bikes probably won’t be available to buy for some months, but RockShox will unveil the system on Tuesday. Bike journalists have likely been sent an advance press release from RockShox on the new system, and they will have probably promised not to breach the October 5 embargo. I have not been sent that press release."

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Le sigh

I don't know, my suspension works pretty damn well already. Why add more weight and complication to them?

Do any world cup racers use this stuff?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do any world cup racers use this stuff?
the only discipline the forks its available for would be enduro. no sid, no boxxer, meaning no XC and no DH. i do believe some of the spy shots came from enduro racers, but i could be wrong.

plus, the current iteration of the sid race day damper actually removed adjustments to save weight.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
a fox live valve equipped giant starts at 5-6k+
PB had the Trance (I think) in one of their field tests earlier this year and if I remember correctly, essentially said to just get the cheaper non-electronic one as it works just as well, if not better.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
regarding the price, cost of entry into new tech will always be outrageous. shall we assume that pricing is also because the initial bikes this will be OEM on will be s-works level frames with full AXS components? we're not going to see flight attendant on an aluminum transition with cable actuated anything.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
regarding the price, cost of entry into new tech will always be outrageous. shall we assume that pricing is also because the initial bikes this will be OEM on will be s-works level frames with full AXS components? we're not going to see flight attendant on an aluminum transition with cable actuated anything.
similar in concept / approach to di2 / axs drivetrains. starts at high end, then will work its way down. not a critical / must have for most riders.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
The only nanny I'd like is to pop me out of lock-out when I forget to re-engage the rear shock at the top of a climb.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
not specific to this implementation, but why don't we have data acquisition incorporated into e suspension?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh god. Someone delete this post before one of the lizard leaders reads it and gets some ideas!
while i agree that would be stupid, exactly what kind of features would require such a service? di2 and axs have been around for years, and aside from the initial investment, none of the functionality is behind a paywall or requires a subscription, or even costs for updates.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
not specific to this implementation, but why don't we have data acquisition incorporated into e suspension?
its possible it's already cooked into the firmware, but end users / consumers don't have the hardware / peripherals to read it.

not that most riders would know what to do with it anyways.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
while i agree that would be stupid, exactly what kind of features would require such a service? di2 and axs have been around for years, and aside from the initial investment, none of the functionality is behind a paywall or requires a subscription, or even costs for updates.
If they can make money off of it, I'm sure they'd at least entertain the idea at one of their board meetings.

Look at pretty much every piece of software and services now, majority have all moved to some sort of subscription based licensing and whatnot, just to have the privilege of using the damn thing.

Autocad I believe did this last year. Even if you had previously purchased perpetual floating licenses with a "maintenance" subscription, they forced you to change to non-floating subscription based licensing.

Its a money grab. :( The concept of ownership with a lot of these things is dwindling.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If they can make money off of it, I'm sure they'd at least entertain the idea at one of their board meetings.

Look at pretty much every piece of software and services now, majority have all moved to some sort of subscription based licensing and whatnot, just to have the privilege of using the damn thing.

Autocad I believe did this last year. Even if you had previously purchased perpetual floating licenses with a "maintenance" subscription, they forced you to change to non-floating subscription based licensing.

Its a money grab. :( The concept of ownership with a lot of these things is dwindling.
let's be honest here, the people that will pony up for this stuff right now are buying new bikes pretty much annually anyways, so its sort of a moot point.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
not that most riders would know what to do with it anyways.
we all know end user ability is irrelevant to product development in this sport. make it sound or look cool and charge too much for it and it will sell.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
given how many people can't even figure out sag i guarantee this will be a massive success.
I like my suspension setup and have no need to change things up during a ride. I do change things up a bit between dry/fast and wet/slower rides.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
huh; i saw kazimer on the review enduro @ whistler this weekend -.totally missed the gizmos, and the opportunity for spy shot fame, alas.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
because the industry lizards only design to your needs.

Well I am sure there are people who may appreciate it. I happily do need need this expensive bauble.

I would have interest in a system that has tunable position sensitive damping.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So it just basically adjusts between climb/trail/descend modes?

Yawn
Yes, but with F-ed damping, so they can release a new version the next year which addresses some of the shortcomings, but introduces new problems as well, and then a follow on model that addresses those shortcomings, but F-s up the damping again, then eventually they will fix the damping, but there'll be a new MindWave™ wireless version the following year that uses your brain-waves to change the suspension, thereby starting the process over again.

1633450313729.png