Quantcast

Electronic suspension

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd be surprised to see a real attempt beyond a gimmick like autoshift for at least mountain ebikes considering that mountain bikes are a bit like the red headed stepkids of motocross, a sport that is more mature and has fallen on the use of ~5-6 manual gears.
Motocross isn't being marketed as the new golf.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I think auto shifting on a bike would be a nuisance. 90% of shifts occur based on looking ahead not on speed/cadence changes,
Semi-auto on 2x roadbikes with Di2 combined with auto trim giving correct choice without guesswork/user calculation is actually pretty awesome.
On 1x mtbs everything about electric shifting is a downgrade in operation/user control.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'd be surprised to see a real attempt beyond a gimmick like autoshift for at least mountain ebikes considering that mountain bikes are a bit like the red headed stepkids of motocross, a sport that is more mature and has fallen on the use of ~5-6 manual gears.
You don't get it, Western culture right now is about making everything easier, even the stuff that served to keep us healthy, its not just about making things better, it's about making them better to the point where we can continue to expand the medical fields of obesity-related research and treatment. Autoshift for E-bikes is absolutely coming, anyone would be a fool to think not at this point IMO.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You don't get it, Western culture right now is about making everything easier, even the stuff that served to keep us healthy, its not just about making things better, it's about making them better to the point where we can continue to expand the medical fields of obesity-related research and treatment. Autoshift for E-bikes is absolutely coming, anyone would be a fool to think not at this point IMO.
In all practicality an autoshoft commuter ebike would probably be a huge hit in the EU.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You don't get it, Western US culture right now is about making everything easier, even the stuff that served to keep us healthy, its not just about making things better, it's about making them better to the point where we can continue to expand the medical fields of obesity-related research and treatment.
FTFY
Although the UK does tend to follow the US lead. Europe less so.

In all practicality an autoshift commuter ebike would probably be a huge hit in the EU.
And it's already a thing.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You got google there. No?

Same as ours only more obese!

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Who the fuck cares?
None of us here are below average.
Haha, solid assumption there.
Shit riders trying to prove that they know stuff on the internet............ Nah never.
I'd be below average these days I reckon.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You've forgotten how to change gear smoothly?
Pretty much every group ride someone will loudly klutz a gear change and the rest of us will heckle them mercilessly. Especially if they're riding a drivetrain from the different big S manufacturer to yours.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My mates do that too. I tend to just laugh.
But I run both of those manufacturers drivetrains (on different bikes) and am fine with either.
I also support neither side whenever I watch football.

The only product I can think of that isn't ingestible that I have a real preference over one particular brand would be gaming consoles. and that's only because I can't cope with XBOX's offset sticks and menu system (kid has one)

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The analysis of figuring you were effectively paying an electronic gnome $900/hr to flick your climb switches for you had me giggle.