Quantcast

electronically inclined monkeys: TV help

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
ok, so the hand-me-down 43" rear projection POS (was good at one time- and one hell of an hand-me down!) mitsubishi diamond bit the dust. now its time to join the latest century and upgrade. my questions:

any reccomendations in the low/mid 40" range?
is sony still worth it or are you paying for a name, like their vaio line? (sure i'll catch cr@p for that one!)
is it worth it to have a built in HDTV reciever?
if this is a movie- specific tv, is progressive scan capable worth it?
LCD or Plasma or (gasp!) tube?

other requirements:
I'd like to keep it in the 4-5k range, as most places locally have some sweet financing (same as cash, 0 payments till spring of 2007). most of my viewing is movies, so I guess that's the most important. I have a sharp aquos LCD in the bedroom that I love.

thanks for all the input ahead of time.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
slowSSer said:
ok, so the hand-me-down 43" rear projection POS (was good at one time- and one hell of an hand-me down!) mitsubishi diamond bit the dust. now its time to join the latest century and upgrade. my questions:

any reccomendations in the low/mid 40" range?
is sony still worth it or are you paying for a name, like their vaio line? (sure i'll catch cr@p for that one!)
is it worth it to have a built in HDTV reciever?
if this is a movie- specific tv, is progressive scan capable worth it?
LCD or Plasma or (gasp!) tube?

other requirements:
I'd like to keep it in the 4-5k range, as most places locally have some sweet financing (same as cash, 0 payments till spring of 2007). most of my viewing is movies, so I guess that's the most important. I have a sharp aquos LCD in the bedroom that I love.

thanks for all the input ahead of time.
I've got a 50" Panasonic plasma HD tv. It was $4500 from PlasmaConcepts and I ordered it off the web.

I love it!

A good place to get smart quick:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=40

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Not plasma. They're expensive, hot, and ineffiecient (they use about 10x as much power as an LCD). And they have burn-in problems if you watch something with lots of static images like CNN or video games. In the 40" range I'd definitely look LCD, or some of these thin HD projection ones.

I want carbon nanotube or LEP. :D

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Westy said:
Get a crappy $200 TV then spend $4K on a new bike.
already got all the bikes i can afford to keep running...and want at the moment. hell, there's already a new titus single speed on the way, but its warranty replacement.