Apr 10, 2002
UK
Arm pump then, what causes it?

Is it

1) not enough time spent on the bike

2) poor suspension setup

3) poor levers setup

4) poor technique on the bike?

Any tips? it's something which has always plagued me more than my friends, what am i doing wrong?

- seb

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
You are so right and I have through and I have had the same problem and I think if you work on the your four points it will help greatly - it did for me. I have spend more time on my bike, gotten dampers in my shiver that works, brakes that works, lever closer to the bar when breaking and I quit the gym and spend more time on my skills.

Other advice is let go of the breaks and don't drag them. When breaking use it to get the bike under control and work on your flow and trust the bike.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I am not getting it this year.
Well, I mean it is not totally gone, but I am not getting it where it actually is bothering me.
I think fitness is the most important thing.
Followed by bike setup.
This weekend I was on my 888, with an FSA carbon DH bar, and a new set of Hayes Mags with the new levers. I was riding at a place called Windrock, which is known for arm pump. I had it miserably bad there last year. But now, I am 15 pounds lighter,
and my bike setup is way better, and it has not been a issue.
You can't eliminate it all together, but you can get to a point where it is not as bad and will not hold you back.
I still get that "end of the day" hand fatigue where you reach for the lever and your finger cramps up. Those suck the worst.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
For me the arm pump problem gets better the further into the DH season. I just figured there is no substitute for time on the bike. Body just adapts.

B

bigkonarider

I moved my levers UP..Joey said they were angled DOWN too far..Because the bike is pointing downhill & the rider is off the back..So the levers actually need to go higher !
I'm trying that..
Plus Doing the letting off & then back on tecnique-
rather than Dragging them.....
Most of it is dragging the brakes i believe!!!
WINDROCK was great....
Nice riding w/ you J.R..............Doug too.
:D :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :eek:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah, this weekend I rode Dunkeld and Innerleithen in Scotland. First time DHing for some 6 months, pretty much the first time on the bike for 6 months to be honest. And I could barely manage a third of a run without stopping. Hope I get it back quickly, it sucked.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not sure if it actually solved it for me or if its some other factor (my bike is set up a little differently now), but I found towards the end of last year and the beginning of this year, it's been a LOT better. I bought this cool little rubber ball at a medical supply place - it's used for physical therapy for people who have tendonitis or carpel tunnel. They have 7 different colors, each color relating to a hardness level.

Anyway, I've got #5, 7 being the hardest, and I exercise with it. All the time. In the car, waiting for laundry, when reading, during lunch, whenever. The ball is very, very rugged but very pliable so it's actually satisfying to exercise with (it's nothing like a stress ball). Works your fingers, wrist and forearms.

Anyone else seen 'em/tried this?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I bought one of those squeezy things with a spring in it last year, it helped, but didn't completely cure the problem.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
binary visions - trying to find what you're referring to but failing, a link perhaps? :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by - seb
binary visions - trying to find what you're referring to but failing, a link perhaps? :)
These aren't the brand/colors I've used but they look like the same product:

edit: link doesn't work. go here:

http://www.westons.com/acatalog/index.html

search for "hand ball". They are multicolored, and start at result #13.

I was absolutly shocked at how durable these babies are. I abuse the hell out of the ball I've got, been doing it for months, and it's just barely starting to show signs of fatigue, but only upon really close inspection and it hasn't affected the performance/feel of the product.

The spring loaded squeezer simply doesn't allow the range of motion you can get out of these, not to mention you can specifically work your fingers, not just grip strength.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by - seb
Cheers mate - bought one of the pack of 5 :)
They're cheaper then the one I bought, even accounting for the exchange rate.

Regardless of whether or not they help your arm pump, they're great stress relief and can really strengthen your fingers/hands.

Let me know if they work for you - I'd like to know if it was the ball or the bike setup that helped relieve the arm pump.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I do not think anything beats time on the bike.

A coworker that does a lot of climbing and paddaling brought in this gyro thing he has. Within 2 mintues of using it my forearm felt like I just finished riding a DH course. I will be getting one of these in the near future.

Here is a link to one of these Gyros: http://www.dynaflexstore.com/product.asp?0=203&1=204&3=11

All you do is get it spining then hold it in your hand. Then you have to keep your wrist rotating and moving to keep the gyro going. It is also weighted so that the entire time it is off balance in your hand so you are having to hold it steady.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Acadian
to prevent arm pump you can also do like Brian and not ride? :D
hahaha...

I think it has a lot to do with what angles your brake levers are at and also how you fork is set up....I would play around with some different setting and see if anything feels better.....D

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
Pay attention to the fork especially. I stupidly forgot that the rebound on my fork was set full slow last weekend and was getting brutal arm pump from the fork packing up. I also imagine full fast rebound would be equally arm-pump inducing.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by 563 740
Pay attention to the fork especially. I stupidly forgot that the rebound on my fork was set full slow last weekend and was getting brutal arm pump from the fork packing up. I also imagine full fast rebound would be equally arm-pump inducing.
On my first run down the hill I had this problem, thought the fork was spiking terribly, realised later that my rebound had been adjusted to full slow so after the first 3 hits or so it was fully compressed :)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Arm pump is one of those problems that pretty much plagues all of us, I agree that fitness is your best defense. Some of the top MX racers have turned to surgery for a solution to arm pump. I have heard even Palmer has had the surgery done. I personally wouldn't do it because there is not enough known about the long term affects at this point. Here is a link with a ton of great info about arm pump including safe ways to reduce or eliminate it and also information on surgery to relieve it.

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/readridingtips.asp?id=420

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
On dirt bikes I would get arm pump bad:

1- at a begining of a long race....usually nerves making me grip the bars to tight...I would ride like a stick figure until I could relax. Then the pump goes away.

2- MX..:rolleyes: Never was comfortable with that stuff.

My main forearm pump seem to be caused by being to tense....so the need to relax and enjoy the ride paid off in comfort and speed in the long run.

We made a simple forearm exercise with a dowel, rope, and a weight. You hold the dowel like a handlebar and work weight up and down by turning the stick with your wrists holding it out in front of you. It worked my forearms more than any spring squeezy thing or ball I have tried.

You can adjust the wieghts to increase and decrease the load on your arms.....

Rhino

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by narlus
i remember that dowel/weight thing from hockey days.
Yeah, guess I should have said, there's no substitute for a real weight routine for exercise.

However, the ball thing is so damn convenient - you can do it anywhere, when you just have 5 minutes of relaxing time. Hell, I bring the thing to meetings with me - it gives me something to focus on so I don't fall asleep. Weights are all well and good but it requires time set aside to be in a certain place, and I found I just wasn't doing it enough.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, but what bout stretching? I went to a local MX clinic a couple weeks back and there were a couple KTM riders there. One guy brought up the question, and they said that they all get it, but they can control it by stretching before a race/ride. IE, when you're driving there, they said to take your arm, straighten it and put your fingers against the steering wheel. They also had a couple other ones but I don't remember them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
poor lever set up will cause it for sure;

to minimize the effort and power required to actuate your brakes you want;

the levers pretty far in, so you can just grasp the tip with one finger

the levers pointing down at at least a 45°, even more will help. The more your levers are pointed "out" reduces your leverage,causes your wrist to have to be rotated backwards, and generally makes it a lot harder.

and one of the most important is the engatement point, you want the engagement point as close to the bar as you can, while still getting lockup at the last mm of lever travel. It should almost bump into your index finger when you have it adjusted this way. This maximises leverage, you get "more" when your finger is closer to your hand, and less when you have the engagement point further out.

If you have any of your lever-setup adjusted contrary to this, it can make a pretty big difference and cause the pump.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by Jm_
to minimize the effort and power required to actuate your brakes you want;

the levers pretty far in, so you can just grasp the tip with one finger

the levers pointing down at at least a 45°, even more will help. The more your levers are pointed "out" reduces your leverage,causes your wrist to have to be rotated backwards, and generally makes it a lot harder.

and one of the most important is the engatement point, you want the engagement point as close to the bar as you can, while still getting lockup at the last mm of lever travel. It should almost bump into your index finger when you have it adjusted this way. This maximises leverage, you get "more" when your finger is closer to your hand, and less when you have the engagement point further out.
Yep, have mine set up like that :)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by punkassean
Arm pump is one of those problems that pretty much plagues all of us, I agree that fitness is your best defense. Some of the top MX racers have turned to surgery for a solution to arm pump. I have heard even Palmer has had the surgery done. I personally wouldn't do it because there is not enough known about the long term affects at this point. Here is a link with a ton of great info about arm pump including safe ways to reduce or eliminate it and also information on surgery to relieve it.

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/readridingtips.asp?id=420
I read the article and I'm sceptical that the surgery would prevent arm pump. I had a fasciotomy on my calf after a car accident and I still get "calf pump". Last weekend we were doing "no pedal" runs down A-line at Whistler. I noticed how sore my calfs were getting half way down because I wasn't talking quick pedal strokes between turns and jumps. My conclusion is that varying you hand position would help eliminate arm pump. That and general fitness. I don't get pump later in the season but I was getting it last weekend.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
On dirt bikes I would get arm pump bad:

1- at a begining of a long race....usually nerves making me grip the bars to tight...I would ride like a stick figure until I could relax. Then the pump goes away.

2- MX..:rolleyes: Never was comfortable with that stuff.

My main forearm pump seem to be caused by being to tense....so the need to relax and enjoy the ride paid off in comfort and speed in the long run.

We made a simple forearm exercise with a dowel, rope, and a weight. You hold the dowel like a handlebar and work weight up and down by turning the stick with your wrists holding it out in front of you. It worked my forearms more than any spring squeezy thing or ball I have tried.

You can adjust the wieghts to increase and decrease the load on your arms.....

Rhino
i'm not convinced that weights actually help cure arm pump. i've played hockey my whole life and have done that dowel exercise for as long as i can remember...along with about 4 other forearm exercises. my forearms look like popeye's but i still get arm pump. pretty bad somedays as well. i never thought about adjusting my levers etc or even being tense before or at the beginning of the ride...but i wonder if the main thing might just be bike setup above all.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by LukeD
i'm not convinced that weights actually help cure arm pump. i've played hockey my whole life and have done that dowel exercise for as long as i can remember...along with about 4 other forearm exercises. my forearms look like popeye's but i still get arm pump. pretty bad somedays as well. i never thought about adjusting my levers etc or even being tense before or at the beginning of the ride...but i wonder if the main thing might just be bike setup above all.
Well I found that my arms would loosen up as soon as I did....I would relax my grip and let the blood flow. If I held on so tight I wuold pump up like my forarms were concrete. A strong arm is better than a week arm.

Being comfortabe with the controls definately help...as that tends to help one get comfortable on the bike and relax that death grip.

Smaller grip diameter also helps as it lets yoru grip close up more. So Oury lovers might want to switch if they have arm pump.....Ruffians are nice low profile grips....I like my Intense grips also.

Pro MX racers that have the surgery, I can assume have tried everything else (bike set up, training, etc) before going under the knife. So I am sure it is a combo of everything that gets teh results.

For me...If I am tense (new DH course....big jumps or drops) I tend to pump up. ID NORBA National beat me up and I clamped down ont he bars something fierce because I was holding on for dear life. :o: :D

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Well I found that my arms would loosen up as soon as I did....I would relax my grip and let the blood flow. If I held on so tight I wuold pump up like my forarms were concrete. A strong arm is better than a week arm.

Being comfortabe with the controls definately help...as that tends to help one get comfortable on the bike and relax that death grip.

Smaller grip diameter also helps as it lets yoru grip close up more. So Oury lovers might want to switch if they have arm pump.....Ruffians are nice low profile grips....I like my Intense grips also.

Pro MX racers that have the surgery, I can assume have tried everything else (bike set up, training, etc) before going under the knife. So I am sure it is a combo of everything that gets teh results.

For me...If I am tense (new DH course....big jumps or drops) I tend to pump up. ID NORBA National beat me up and I clamped down ont he bars something fierce because I was holding on for dear life. :o: :D
actually i switched my brakes around because of armpump. front on the right and back on the left (euro style). sounds strange but i found that having the front brake on my strong arm helped a little. i have thin grips, ruffians, too. maybe its just the angle of my levers or i tense up too much. kind of interesting, i was just talking to my friend and he never ever gets arm pump...never wears gloves let alone any other armor but a helmet.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by LukeD
i was just talking to my friend and he never ever gets arm pump...never wears gloves let alone any other armor but a helmet.
Yeah, and then there are just wierdos ;) :D Maybe he is relaxed (not slow) when riding? :confused: Better be with nothing but a helmet. :eek:

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Yeah, and then there are just wierdos ;) :D Maybe he is relaxed (not slow) when riding? :confused: Better be with nothing but a helmet. :eek:
lol he's fast and hits the occasional tree every run...we call him the tree hugger

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
Speaking of no gloves, make sure not to really cinch down on the wrist velcro. You don't wanna be constricting blood flow. I always make sure the wrists of my gloves are nice and loose, seems to help some.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by 563 740
Speaking of no gloves, make sure not to really cinch down on the wrist velcro. You don't wanna be constricting blood flow. I always make sure the wrists of my gloves are nice and loose, seems to help some.
Good one! Yes I forgot. I rode a dirt bike recently with my watch on....my gloves pushed my watch up enough to restrict flow...and it was amazing how much my arm pump dissapeared when I took my watch off and stuck it in my fanny pack.

Good point mentioning the gloves. I don't run mine loose but I don't really tighten them much either.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't have a specific remedy but I have found some things that make arm pump less severe. They've all been mentioned but I might as well add them.

Get strong brakes and simply don't brake too much
Lift some weights.
Ride DH more.

Last year, I rode DH over a dozen full days and never felt any arm pump at all.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Saturday was my first ever getting really, really, really bad arm pump. Spent the day at BB and honest to god my arms were kill. I get minor pump at my local DH, real steep and definetly warrents death grip. BB though, omg, I could barely work my brakes it got so bad. (fyi, crappy rider+no brakes=owwie) I guess I should try relaxing a bit.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
After I started bouldering, I've noticed that I get arm pump a lot less nowadays.

However, my left calf will get pumped in two seconds of riding with my ACL brace. It sucks, after long dh runs, I can barely keep my pedals level.

anarchyUK

Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Boulder CO
None of those
1st get a old broom sick
2nd cut it down to 1ft
3rd Drill a hole in the cinter
4th tie a weight on a 4ft string to the stick

Roll it up then back down 20 times a day w/ arms strait and never think about arm pump again