Quantcast

Eliminator to Olympics over Downhill?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
None of the crap in that article will actually happen.
In 2011 the UCI was angling to get skateboarding into the Olympics, FFS

If they take out one more track event, it'll be a freaking travesty.
I know that this is Ridemonkey and everyone has an 18" long penis here and stuff but...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
None of the crap in that article will actually happen.
In 2011 the UCI was angling to get skateboarding into the Olympics, FFS

If they take out one more track event, it'll be a freaking travesty.
I know that this is Ridemonkey and everyone has an 18" long penis here and stuff but...
yeah that was rather funny, the uci proposed for skateboarding... we got a great laugh out of this...

never really expected it to happen be it skatboarding or xce

Jan 4, 2013
One of the main criteria for adding a new game to the Olympics is that the US cannot be good at it. Therefore, Downhill doesn't have a chance. Sorry.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
An event that hasn't even has a full season... and the events it did have were total **** by all accounts. The UCI is so out of touch it's unreal. Luckily, it has no chance of actually making it in as they would have to eliminate yet another cycling event already on the calendar, not that their isn't enough track cycling events already.

That said, the IOC and WADA are angling to remove cycling altogether if the UCI can't get it's **** together vis a vis testing and cooperation.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
An event that hasn't even has a full season... and the events it did have were total **** by all accounts. The UCI is so out of touch it's unreal. Luckily, it has no chance of actually making it in.
Hey, Pat McQuaid's in charge. I've got full confidence in him, he's a very competent individual.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I do really have to wonder if the UCI sees xce as a potential easy moneymaker event (easily set up, minimal infrastructure, urban based... Etc). The problem is that no one gives 2 sorry f*cks about it so why not try pushing it into the Olympics for some instant credibility? They clearly aren't in a good spot with road racing at the moment.

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
True Fact:
At CX worlds this past weekend the jeers for the UCI president at the awards ceremony were... loud. USAC president Johnson didn't receive a very warm welcome either...

The entire vibe at worlds was... weird. Even more than normal all of the euros in the poorly fitting suits skulked around avoiding eye-contact with... anyone.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
True Fact:
At CX worlds this past weekend the jeers for the UCI president at the awards ceremony were... loud. USAC president Johnson didn't receive a very warm welcome either...

The entire vibe at worlds was... weird. Even more than normal all of the euros in the poorly fitting suits skulked around avoiding eye-contact with... anyone.
In their defense, I think I did the same thing the last time I was in Kentucky.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Still a better idea than skateboarding or freestyle BMX...

An Olympic sport should never have judges. The viewer should immediately know who won, who came second and who came third. Thats it.

As soon as judges come into play, that sport should not be there.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Still a better idea than skateboarding or freestyle BMX...

An Olympic sport should never have judges. The viewer should immediately know who won, who came second and who came third. Thats it.

As soon as judges come into play, that sport should not be there.
Let's remove ski jumping, figure skating, gymnastics etc. from the olympics then.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yes. Seriously, WTF are they doing in there?

I firmly think that if an original Olympian were to see the state of what the Olympics has become, he'd be disappointed.

Judges deciding the medals? Pfft!

As I said: Gold, Silver and Bronze should be obvious to the viewer.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Let's remove ski jumping, figure skating, gymnastics etc. from the olympics then.
I am sorta with you. Not having any judged events would make the games worse. On the other hand, how many medals do you need to give out for different ways of falling into a swimming pool or rowing a boat.

Olympic DH or a Rampage style competition would be by far the most exciting thing in the summer games. Have the events far away if necessary, just have them early so the athletes can get on with the serious business of using as many of the free condoms as possible.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
IMHO dh will never be an olympic sport as the outcome can be too easily affected by a turn in the weather. Hardly fair is it, to train for 4 years and then have your hopes dashed by it raining half way through race runs.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
IMHO dh will never be an olympic sport as the outcome can be too easily affected by a turn in the weather. Hardly fair is it, to train for 4 years and then have your hopes dashed by it raining half way through race runs.
What about ski jumping, long jumping, javelin etc. and wind? Changing wind conditions can make or break your performance in these events.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I'm not saying I want to see DH, freestyle BMX, skateboarding, XC eliminator or any other sport discussed here in the Olympics, just saying there are pretty comparable sports already in.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What about ski jumping, long jumping, javelin etc. and wind? Changing wind conditions can make or break your performance in these events.
Exactly. Given the amount of different disciplines in the olympics any excuse used for downhill could be used for some obscure sport that is already in the olympics.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
You think? Don't they just wait for the wind to come back down to acceptable levels before they go?

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Yes, but I think there might be some maximum time for waiting? And even if the wind is down when you start the approach, there might be a sudden gust when you are at the jump lip/plank.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You think? Don't they just wait for the wind to come back down to acceptable levels before they go?
To acceptable levels yes but with a wind that is changing a difference in distance may be huge. A front wind makes you fly waay further than a back wind. So chainging conditions may drop you by 5-10 places if not more if you are really unlucky.

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
Should not be any "sport" in the Olympics where medals are based on judging. Everything should be based on time, distance, speed or points in the case of team sports. Of course this will never happen as you could never get rid of events like ice skating and now modern day versions of revenue enhancers such as half pipe snowboard etc.