Quantcast

Eliminator to Olympics over Downhill?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
RE: Olympic BMX

There are about 30 fully-funded BMX racing scholarships at the 13 schools that provide tuition assistance for NCCA racing now. Also a NCCA BMX national series that runs concurrently with USAbmx nationals

That's a net positive for cycling.

It's a widely held belief that the '96 Olympics are what put the nail in the coffin of MTB racing in this country.

All of the hype leading up to the games backfired- and when MTB racing was no longer an "edgy" "alternative" event sponsors started moving on.

We had DH and trials in the X-Games in '95 and Olympic XC in '96.
Been there, done that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
RE: Olympic BMX

There are about 30 fully-funded BMX racing scholarships at the 13 schools that provide tuition assistance for NCCA racing now. Also a NCCA BMX national series that runs concurrently with USAbmx nationals

That's a net positive for cycling.

It's a widely held belief that the '96 Olympics are what put the nail in the coffin of MTB racing in this country.

All of the hype leading up to the games backfired- and when MTB racing was no longer an "edgy" "alternative" event sponsors started moving on.

We had DH and trials in the X-Games in '95 and Olympic XC in '96.
Been there, done that.
more details plz. do remember most of us weren't aware of the cycling industry back then.

or are you keeping this story for your book?

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
They need an online feed with your countries commentators, so you don't have to hope to see a few seconds every hour.....god I hate olympic broadcasting, such a waste of time.
There has been great online feeds for at least for the last few Olympics from both CTV and CBC. You can watch the direct video feeds that go into the control rooms for the commentators. Some events there has been no commentary and others have been the un-edited live commentary. I've actually grown to like watching the feeds with no commentary, you can hear the crowd in the background and the live announcer from the event.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
There has been great online feeds for at least for the last few Olympics from both CTV and CBC. You can watch the direct video feeds that go into the control rooms for the commentators. Some events there has been no commentary and others have been the un-edited live commentary. I've actually grown to like watching the feeds with no commentary, you can hear the crowd in the background and the live announcer from the event.
guess the ones I saw didn't have commentary. regardless, for me I just don't care that much and find myself out actually riding more than wanting to sit around watching people play sports I don't care about.