Quantcast

Elizabeth Furnace - Bunnice on the Rocks

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Just to let you guys know, there's a 6-pack style timed downhill at Elizabeth Furnace Saturday. Meet @ 12:00 at the Daily Use Area (main parking lot by the bridge).

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
It's by Front Royal. 2hrs from C'ville, a little over an hour from NoVA.

As far as bike choice, there will be guys on DH bikes (Steve here on RM for example and a couple Winchester boys) and cross country bikes. It's up to you, but the climb is about an hour of close to granny ring climbing. There are some sections that will be a lot of fun on a DH bike such as the rock stair sections.

The course will be a blast whichever bike you choose. I'll be on my Cake which I think is a good choice for it. There aren't really any pedally sections, but the flatter portions are the type with rocks that just suck all your momentum away, especially when you're tired.

Steve rode it last year with me, maybe he'll chime in and vouch for it. Party in Winchester afterwards too.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
hmmm... is steve going? Maybe this is what he was talking about dragging us out for this Saturday? Frickin' travel agent... I thought we were going to Harrisonburg....

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
DßR said:
hmmm... is steve going? Maybe this is what he was talking about dragging us out for this Saturday? Frickin' travel agent... I thought we were going to Harrisonburg....
i don't know man. i'm sure steve would have mentioned this race thing... i guess maybe our plans are changing now?

i imagine it's the same run steve took me on a few months ago.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Well I didn't know about the 6-pack until now. Change of plans. We could do Hburg southern Traverse XC some other time, like Sunday?

The course is as Matt described. Whale, it's the trail we did last time we were up there. Dan, it's teh trail across the valley from the last time I rode with you there. For the race course, my Big Hit is too much bike but my HT not enough. I'll probably bring the Big Hit.

Matt I suggest we start at the ridge itself - longer harder! As you head uphill, turn right along the ridge and go to the high point.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Stiff said:
Well I didn't know about the 6-pack until now. Change of plans. We could do Hburg southern Traverse XC some other time, like Sunday?

The course is as Matt described. Whale, it's the trail we did last time we were up there. Dan, it's teh trail across the valley from the last time I rode with you there. For the race course, my Big Hit is too much bike but my HT not enough. I'll probably bring the Big Hit.

Matt I suggest we start at the ridge itself - longer harder! As you head uphill, turn right along the ridge and go to the high point.
decisions decisions... bring the blur or the IH? i guess i'll ride the blur because the IH is a bit too much although last time i dropped my chain and ate sh*t speeding down with it.

looks like we can make a pit stop on our way there or back and get some:

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Steve,

I think I know where you mean, but this is headed up by the Winchester boys and I think we'll start at the same point as last year to keep it consistant. Personally, I would like to start back about 50 feet so we can get those couple of nice log hops in.

I'd definitely be up for riding some more afterwards. Jamie was talking about riding a loop around the ridge which apparently is super technical, which sounds good to me. Maybe we can hit that after the race.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Hmm. Maybe I can put the Turner back together for one last hurrah, and possibly remove the headtube in the process... or just suffer like a bitch on my dh bike.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
DßR said:
Hmm. Maybe I can put the Turner back together for one last hurrah, and possibly remove the headtube in the process... or just suffer like a bitch on my dh bike.
the sufffering will be pushing that beast up the hill for 1-1.5 hours, but you sure as hell won't be suffering on your way down... i will most likey be bringing the IH as well unless i can scrounge up some beefier DH tires to throw on my blur.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Matt D said:
Steve,

I think I know where you mean, but this is headed up by the Winchester boys and I think we'll start at the same point as last year to keep it consistant. Personally, I would like to start back about 50 feet so we can get those couple of nice log hops in.

I'd definitely be up for riding some more afterwards. Jamie was talking about riding a loop around the ridge which apparently is super technical, which sounds good to me. Maybe we can hit that after the race.
We'll be up for post-race riding and BBQ but might have a lot of different bikes in play, some w/o low gears.

About the course: I for one will lobby for a ridgeline start - no good reason to start 20% below the top...and plus that narrow ridgeline trail section totally rocks. Consistency?? Last year it was on snow and ice!

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Hey assholes will dan and steve i have my heckler here whenever u travel somewhere to go ride trail let me know. Dicks. :p

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Eliz Furnace was fun despite a snapped chain two-thirds down and running/fred-flintstoning to finish. I love six packing - good way to get DHers into shape.

MattD - I was #40 FWIW; anyone have the official results? Just curious.

Mobius - Yeah this Sunday I guess we're thinking about doing the southern traverse of the SMT down Staunton/Hburg way. It's very long, an all-day XC painfest. I'm bringing either a fully rigid steel HT XC/commuter or my steelhead w/ XC tires and air fork and XC clipless pedals of course. If I don't do it before the lifts open I probably won't ever do it.