Quantcast

Elizabeth Furnace Tomorrow (Sat 8/12)

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Alright looks like I'm headed to Elizabeth Furnace tomorrow for some epic riding. I'll be tagging along with some people I found on the MORE website. Anybody else want to go, hit me up. I'll be leaving Alexandria around 8:00 AM I guess, the ride supposed to start at 10:00 AM.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
It will be a really long climb mostly on fireroad, and some singletrack. Then it should finish with a long technical descent. There are different trails up there and I'm not sure which ones the MORE people plan to take. If they plan on taking the less technical route down, I'll split from them and take the radical way down.

For those who don't know, this is out by front royal.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
oldskoolbiker said:
It will be a really long climb mostly on fireroad, and some singletrack. Then it should finish with a long technical descent. There are different trails up there and I'm not sure which ones the MORE people plan to take. If they plan on taking the less technical route down, I'll split from them and take the radical way down.
Are you guys doing the Mudhole Gap-Signal Knob-Bear Wallow route, up past the reservoir and the TV tower? If you haven't already, also check out the other side of the valley starting near the day use picnic area. All of the climbs/descents on that side are on singletrack. Have a great ride! :thumb:

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
This is a killer ride! Wish I could go but I'm stuck at work tomm.

Have fun and bring back some pic's for us :cool:

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Guess nobody is coming with me. I doubt I'll bring a camera, since the only camera I have is a super heavy DSLR. The less weight I have to crank up that mountain the better.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
DamienC said:
Are you guys doing the Mudhole Gap-Signal Knob-Bear Wallow route, up past the reservoir and the TV tower? If you haven't already, also check out the other side of the valley starting near the day use picnic area. All of the climbs/descents on that side are on singletrack. Have a great ride! :thumb:
yeah, yeah, heh heh, that side is super-great for advanced and strong intermediate riders who don't mind pushing up in places (or all of it). I suggest for a technical trialsy epic ridgeline descent, the trail that heads north along the ridge from the pass and descends down to just south of the fish hatchery. Need topo, as this is not a suggested MORE ride, but should be. It is epic. I'll be going again once weather cools down. Usually with VP free but can ride on any bike, just always a tradeoff as this is the kind of trail that is not kind to any bike.