Quantcast

Elizabeth's Furnace

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
Hey, how is Elizabeth's Furnace on a big hit bike and can you shuttle it somehow???
Is it steep enough for a big bike? I don't mind pedaling; pushing or hiking up, don't wanna pedal down.
Thanks

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Unless you want to cut the locks off the gate I don't think it can be shuttled. In my opinion it's not worth taking a big bike. There are some very rocky sections and general nastiness where it would be nice, but frankly it's a tough climb on a hardtail. It's not very steep but it just keeps going.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
it's best on an all mountain bike... something you can comfortably climb and descend with for the most fun. i've ridden many of trails up there on everything from a light XC hardtail to pushing up a DH bike. no shuttling, but there are several trails that will give you a good 1 hour climb with a 10-15 minute descent to follow.

S

seespotendo

yea definitely leave the DH bike at home. bring out the all mountain!! i just rode there last weekend i think.
i gotta recommend one trail....
if you park at mud hole gap and ride on the fire road for about 2 miles then you pass the reservoir keep on the fire road for like another mile and the trail is one the right. It takes u to the top of the mountain. its pretty much impossible to ride up it, its rock gardens galore. it should be a fun ride down!!

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
Thanks for the info, I don't usually don't go up that way to explore.
I will spend a weekend up that way with my 5 inch travel bike...I was just jonesing to ride my downhill bike.