Quantcast

Elk Hunters?

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
This is way off topic but I thought I'd post up here because it's related to local area intrest. Just curious if any of you elk hunt? I grew up in MT and grew up hunting the Wapiti to stoke the freezer each season with a year's supply of healthy red meat.(sorry vegi heads not trying to be offensive) I moved here a couple of years ago and haven't had the chance to hunt elk and I'm getting tired of beef! Just curious if anyone who posts up here hunts elk, and if so, pm me if your too shy to talk about it in front of some of our fellow vegi biking brothers and sisters. I need to find a good area to start scoping out, who know's, maybe we could hook up and scout some area's on our bikes.

alpentalic

Chimp
Sep 13, 2004
bellevue.snoqualmiepass.wa
as for areas.. theres always hunters searching for elk out by manashstash ridge south of cle elum this time of year, we always see em hiding from us when we go wheeling out there.... i guess its probably not the best time of the year for me to dress up like an elk and go riding out in those parts?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
elk is yummy.

and sorry i only fish/hunt on my reservation because i don't have to pay money for lisences. But like alpentalic says i've seen and heard of huge herds of elk around the Cle Elum area. i've also run into a big ole herd a few years back on Skookum Flats trail in Greenwater, but i have no clue on where you can go and at what time etc. etc.....

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Skookum said:
elk is yummy.

and sorry i only fish/hunt on my reservation because i don't have to pay money for lisences. But like alpentalic says i've seen and heard of huge herds of elk around the Cle Elum area. i've also run into a big ole herd a few years back on Skookum Flats trail in Greenwater, but i have no clue on where you can go and at what time etc. etc.....
Skook,

How about an invite to hunt? ;) I really would like to bag an elk this year now that we finally saved up for a house and I can get a freezer chest for the garage, I'm tired of beeeeeeeeeeef!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
mmmmmmeaty.......

My step dad elk hunted on the N oregon coast, but that probably doesnt help ya... Ive seen many elk up on the way to crystal, but dont know the hunting areas there.....

Also, when your out hunting keep an eye out for chantrell mushrooms. They go perfect with elk and are just showing up in the markets. I know of some good areas in capital to pick them. One ride i got a few pounds of them! So damn good.......

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
oly said:
mmmmmmeaty.......

My step dad elk hunted on the N oregon coast, but that probably doesnt help ya... Ive seen many elk up on the way to crystal, but dont know the hunting areas there.....

Also, when your out hunting keep an eye out for chantrell mushrooms. They go perfect with elk and are just showing up in the markets. I know of some good areas in capital to pick them. One ride i got a few pounds of them! So damn good.......
I'm always weiry of picking mushrooms as I can't decipher the species. I could end up with some tasty ones, one's that will kill me on the spot, or one's that will have me seeing lil green leaprochons running around in the forest... :rolleyes:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
There are quite a few elk out here in Cle Elum. I split a herd a couple of weeks ago just east of the Rat Pac trail. Usually between now and the start of the season I will see the herd between the ridge top and the LDS church at the east end of town. Of course once the season starts they kind of disappear. There are also quite a few wild turkeys, not sure when that opens again for hunting. The hunters like hitting the trails at dusk, trouble is they run without lights, just make sure you have some lights on your bike after dusk. Lately its been bear hunters, anyone familiar with Rat Pac should know the ravine just west of Rat Pac is a prime spot for bear hunting.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
WARider said:
I'm always weiry of picking mushrooms as I can't decipher the species. I could end up with some tasty ones, one's that will kill me on the spot, or one's that will have me seeing lil green leaprochons running around in the forest... :rolleyes:
Chantrell are pretty much unmistakable. Orange horn shape with gills (no cap like other shrooms), also no ring on stalk..... Sadly they are gettin g harder to find a most places have been raped as the new batch of harvesters rake the areas clean instead of cutting them with a knife leaving a small nub in the ground. I carry a knife and a plastic bag in the fall just to pic these beauties......

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Gee Oly, who knew you were a connaisseur?

I saw tons of shrooms sprouting yesterday with a new route flagging trip into the local woods. Will have to keep an eye out for those kinds though. There's plenty of other ones and some places had whole areas covered with sprouting mushrooms. Also, in keeping with the thread, I too have seen a couple big herds out by Cle Elum. But, always on th back side. There's also plenty of lokul-yokuls starting to sight in and scope the area on their quads too. Even riding the singletrack and screwing them up much to our dismay...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Remember too, tis the season to put aside your fashion sence and wear some bright flashy colors. Ive seen the boys in camo out scouting in the woods.....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Borneo said:
Gee Oly, who knew you were a connaisseur?
Well, with a mom who was a professional cook, and a step dad who was a hunter and commercial fisherman/crabber.... we always had the kick ass food! Always had a freezer full of salmon, halibut, crab... and also vennison. Elk was rare, but we he get a few over the years.... I dont hunt animals myself, but cant pass up a bright orange spot next to a tree in the woods....could be shrooms!!!!

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Hunters go up there all the time. I have only seen one "no hunting" sign posted and that was east of RP . The hunters I have seen up there seem to do a lot of driving around and not much hiking. The area around Rat Pac has been flagged for logging. I havent seen any trees get marked yet, but I think thats coming.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Thats a good one. Its definitely hunting season, I heard shot ringing out all over. Not sure what they are shooting at though. Fortunately nothing close by, maybe target practice.