Quantcast

Elka Suspension Service

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
First I would like to start by saying that I absolutely love my Elka shock. I rode it all last year on my Morewood Makulu, and it is by far the best shock that I have been on. I had a good experience when first getting the shock as I needed a different spring weight. I contacted the company on the phone, made the order, and the spring was delivered quickly the same week.

My problem now lies with my latest and frustratingly still ongoing experience. I sent my shock into Elka to get serviced, express post to ensure it got there quickly. I had phoned prior to shipping to enquire about some details on the accompanying service order sheet and was told that I would be contacted as soon as they received it in the mail. It shipped out on a Wednesday, and Canada Post tracking showed that it arrived on the Friday. The following week, having received no confirmation, I phoned to ensure that they did indeed receive it. They told me that it was there and should get to it sometime the next week.

Following week, no word. So I phone, leave a message. Customer service then leaves a message on my phone the following day to have me phone the service department to find out about my shock. So I do, that day, and have to leave another message enquiring about my shock, yada yada, please phone me back. No call. I phone again the next day and this time succeed in talking with the service department. I'm put on hold while they find my info. They say they will phone me back with a quote for the work. I have to ask when it's going to happen, as that's all I'm really concerned about. Three weeks is a little long, but I'm prepared to wait provided that they let me know that they're busy and when I can expect to have my shock. So I ask, and they tell me either today or tomorrow.

So here I sit, the end of "tomorrow", with no word back. I am not happy, cancelled a Whistler trip as I still have no shock on my bike, and perhaps worse, no real clue as to what is going on with it or when I can expect it back. Now I'll be finding a different option for the next time I need my shock serviced.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
Thankfully I have been able to ride my wife's bike, while fun for the time, it is much too small to justify the expense of a 12 hour drive to Whistler for the weekend. I had fully expected to have my shock back before three weeks, let alone one month that I fear will be the case. As I mentioned before however, simply telling me at the time that "your shock will take one month" would have been better than not returning phone calls.

Perhaps another question might be what is an acceptable amount of time to expect for a routine shock service? Or is there any other company that can service Elka shocks?

I'll still make it to Whistler this year, but the timing was perfect for this weekend with those that I rider with, so it's unfortunate.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Elka have got people other than themselves that they recommend for services. For example, when I was getting the details for my shock sorted, they mentioned that my nearest service center is 'Supsension Worx' in Vancouver. So given your scenario, i'll keep it close to home and got there, when I need a service.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
I didn't know that Suspension Worx was an option. I sent a dhx 5 there a couple of years ago and it was back in a week. Next time for sure.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
same here, absolutely love the shock. but they cant even reply emails, what's with that?

quite annoyed that they sent a spring 100lbs too heavy for my weight and got reducers wrong for my bike. now the shock has a dead spot at the beginning of its travel.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
i have saled my elka after i send it back for a update "europe"and than the shock do not work more, slurf and a tooo fast rebound against the original....

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
So I waited another full day past when they said they would look at it and get back to me. Nothing. So I phoned and left another message. I just want my shock back at this point and will not be doing business with Elka ever again. Worst service I have ever experienced, hands down.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
No reason they can't make the shock user serviceable without special tooling like everyone else if there are that many problems with their factory service.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
I think the only issue is that they are nitrogen charged, so that would involve some special equipment/knowledge perhaps? I don't know. I bet there are a lot of moto shops around that could handle it no problem.