Quantcast

ellswerth dare

leo

Chimp
Feb 8, 2004
israel
i got a very good deal on a 2002 frame (in an amazing condition) with a romic shock, but i dont know any body that rides one.
can you guys tell me about its strengths and weaknesses?
thanks

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
most people on here hate ellsworth and the customer service so you will probally only get negative feedback

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
don't buy it. please don't. ellsworth can hate me. i've done enough mechanic work on those frames. junk. the linkage design is very nice. but the quality is just getting worse.
maybe use it as a all mtn bike. its light....

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
i had an OLD 18.5" Sub 22 that weighed 18.5 lbs way back when....(w/o riser bars and long stem in pic) luckily i didnt break it.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I've never ridden one, but have only heard negative feedback on the customer service, and any thoughts of trying to warranty their breakage prone frames. IMO, not worth the headache...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i dont have any experiance with broken frames and bad cs. but i have riden one, i liked the rear sus. it tracks well, pedals well, quite linear, really love it. but then i hated the geo, tt to long, ha to steep, ellsworth just trying to make a xc dh bike.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
Keep an eye on the metal bolt-on plate in the Front Triangle. This is where the frame will probably develop stress cracks.

Your main pivot bolt will need tightening lots, so loctite it. Then Ride it til she dies.

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
That bike is badass. I have sent back rear triangles to ellsworth that have had stress cracks (one was a 2000 truth, not the original owner) and they sent a new(updated one) with no problems. It is true that you will probably develop stress cracks in the rear triangle, but they will send you a new one...no questions asked. For 06, the have totally redesigned the rear triangles. They are now using a monocoque chian stay. Four bar linkage is also great, no chain tension problems and no brake jack. The only problem with that bike is that it looks to "finished and pretty" making it ugly.