Quantcast

Ellsworth ID- Need to hear from you-

Mapkos

Chimp
Jul 27, 2004
Manlius, NY
All right considering this purchase. Been thinking about it for a long time. Let's hear all the pros and cons and see if there's a reason for me not to go this route.

Thanks for everyone's input-

I'm riding a Sugar + now that is great but want more travel and a higher end brand.

East Coast- singletrack with some technical drops- Basically a little bit of everything I can get my hands or tires on.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
It sounds like you're into aggressive XC/trail riding, so the Id should be just about right. Just remember that it's not a true freeride bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it's an xc bike on stilts. plus ellsworth has a spotty customer service reputation... :nope:

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
You might actually think about a Yeti AS-R 575. I've taken a short ride on one, and if I had the money (which you obviously do if you're considering an Ellsworth), I would get one right now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Considering Ellsworth's legendary reputation for cracking, and shoddy customer service, I wouldn't take an Id off any "technical drops".

I think Tully's recommendation of a Yeti 575 is a good one...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Yeah, I too would go for a yeti over an Ellsworth in a heartbeat.
Ive heard too m any stories about broken Ellsworth bikes takin 10 months to warrantee... thats pathetic when a company with bikes for 1/3 the price like Giant can turn around a warrantee, with upgrade in a week.

If you need a chi chi bike look at Yeti, Intense, and SC. With Yeti look into the 575 and the ASX, with Intense look into the 5.5, and with SC look into the Bullit, and the Heckler. With all these you get equal or better quality and less price (with the exception of Intense)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
My opinion is that an Ells Id would be an awesome ride. I would probably go with the California Edition which uses a shorter eye to eye shock which lowers the bb height.

Or if you want a bit burlier of a frame, look at the Ellsworth Moment :drool:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
How about a Turner 5 spot?

The Id design is sound but the horror stories are too much.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
Question: How may people here on Ridemonkey have actually had first-hand bad experiences with Ellsworth?
From the pack of cheapskates here? I'd guess none. ;) :D

For the record: I too have heard second hand horror stories about the Ellsworth service being complete $hit.

It's probably kind of like the Crack-n-Fail: a little truth, a little fiction, and a whole lot of speculation........

-S.S.-

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Wumpus said:
I don't think that thread sheds any negative light on Ells. The guy wasn't the original owner. They really didn't need to give him anything, but they knocked off $500 for a new frame. Not bad in my book. Now if he was the original owner, then yes, this would be some sh*tty service.

SS said:
For the record: I too have heard second hand horror stories about the Ellsworth service being complete $hit.

It's probably kind of like the Crack-n-Fail: a little truth, a little fiction, and a whole lot of speculation........
I guess I'm questioning people's "Ellsworths always break and their service sucks" posts (especially on mtbr) because 95% of the time (or so it seems), the people saying this are just passing on info they've heard. Obviously Ells has had issues with their frames and service at some time, or the negative posts would never have started.

So, what's everyone's personal experience with Ells? So far, my '03 Ells Isis has lived up to everything I hoped it would be. Of course, if it breaks and I get the runaround, I'll have a different opinion of the company, but so far I have nothing to complain about. Based on my experience, I'd buy another. They're beautiful bikes.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
pixelninja said:
I don't think that thread sheds any negative light on Ells. The guy wasn't the original owner. They really didn't need to give him anything, but they knocked off $500 for a new frame. Not bad in my book. Now if he was the original owner, then yes, this would be some sh*tty service.
Guess I worded that wrong. Wasn't implying bad service. Seems like everybody got pretty decent service.

Think the small builders have a tougher time turning things around sometimes. They don't have a lot of spare parts laying around. Giant and Specialized probably have crates of bikes sitting around. Probably cheaper for them to send a brand new frame than hassle with repairing a frame.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dog Welder on this board got the shaft from Ellsworth when he broke his Joker...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Hmmm?

pixelninja said:
Now this is what I'm talking about. I'd love to hear his story.
Dog Welder said:
Heres my honese opinion of Ellsworth. I bought a Joker two years ago after doing pretty extensive research and narrowed it down to the Bullit and Joker. I went with the Joker because for 200 USD more I could get a bike that had a better warranty and was more aesthetically pleasing. I bought it and as a trail bike it was excellent. I began downhilling on it pretty heavily last year and noticed certain quality control issues that I've seen on other Jokers. The main one being that despite having a perfectly dished and trued wheel, said wheel was always cocked off center, which would mean that the rear end was out of alignment. I've seen this on a few other ellsworths as well. It is in my opinion that Jokers tend to favor the cross country/trail biking set rather than the freeriding/dh set...as I have snapped my Joker into three pieces. Ellworth warrantied it within three days of receiving the frame...but the break was so catastrophic that my confidence aboard the Joker has been shaken and I"m selling the warrantied frame. If you want an excellent single pivot bike that can do everything....look toward the Foes Fly ($2000 USD) or mid range the new Orange Patriot 7 (1600USD) or the SC Bullit (1200). But out of the choices you listed the SC Blur is what I would go with. I've ridden one and it truely is an excellent frame. It decends far better than any 4 in travel bike i've ridden. And for the price it is a great deal. Only downside is that its VERY difficult to get one. The bike shop I work for sells more santa cruz bikes than any other store in California, except for one. And even we are having an extremely difficult time getting frames. So if you like Ellsworht I have a large forest green Joker that's up for sale...hell I'll even bring it with me when I come to Austrailia in a month.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
<snip>So, what's everyone's personal experience with Ells? So far, my '03 Ells Isis has lived up to everything I hoped it would be. Of course, if it breaks and I get the runaround, I'll have a different opinion of the company, but so far I have nothing to complain about. Based on my experience, I'd buy another. They're beautiful bikes.
No personal experience. They're too bloody expensive. Probably won't ever get the chance to own one. Unless I become fabulously wealthy. :rolleyes: :D

-S.S.-

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
got no personal experience with 'em, but like i said to a buddy yesterday who was interested in a Truth- "with all the horror stories floating around, why risk it?" there's a well over a dozen other bikes in the catagory of 5-6" trail bike, many of which can be build up to be about as light as an ID.

turner 5 spot
yeti 575
santa cruz heckler
ventana la bruja and el chamuco
titus switchblade or quasi-moto
azonic saber
foes fxr
intense 5.5
the new cannondale 5" bike (forget the name)
giant VT
kona coiler
specialized enduro

the list goes on, but that's a 14 and all i can think of off the top of my head.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
squarewheels said:
got no personal experience with 'em, but like i said to a buddy yesterday who was interested in a Truth- "with all the horror stories floating around, why risk it?" there's a well over a dozen other bikes in the catagory of 5-6" trail bike, many of which can be build up to be about as light as an ID.

turner 5 spot
yeti 575
santa cruz heckler
ventana la bruja and el chamuco
titus switchblade or quasi-moto
azonic saber
foes fxr
intense 5.5
the new cannondale 5" bike (forget the name)
giant VT
kona coiler
specialized enduro

the list goes on, but that's a 14 and all i can think of off the top of my head.
FOr some reason I always forget about Titus... such a great company... Out of all those I'd choose the quazi for trail/freeriding. I always wanted a SB though :D

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
golgiaparatus said:
FOr some reason I always forget about Titus... such a great company... Out of all those I'd choose the quazi for trail/freeriding. I always wanted a SB though :D
Talking about warranty issues...

btw-I hear that the Quasi has been decommisioned.