Quantcast

Ellsworth Moment

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
When I see the name of that bike, it kind of reminds me of the term "Kodak Moment", except an "Ellsworth Moment" is when you see some dude standing there all depressed with a broken frame :rofl:

Sometimes I just crack myself up.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
jdcamb said:
That is funny. I am glad I can look back and laugh at my 3 Ellsworth moments I have had.......
I am on their $hitlist, probably. I have broken two Jokers and three Isis' so far...mostly at the swingarm welds. My experience thrust me into the other extreme and I now ride a Banshee Scream and a Chapparel that I have been unable to break with my meager skills(though hefty girth). Perhaps one of these days, I'll find a happy medium between fragile/light and indestructible/heavy frames...turnersaywhat? :love:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ellsworthlesses are all the rage in Nashville right now. I just laugh to myself every time I see a shiny new one on the trail. I know that in about a year from now, I will be seeing very few and alot of pissed off people.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
One of the guys that worked at the shop, and rode on Weds. night rides with us, used to ride for Speedgoat/Ellsworth. He cracked 2 or 3 of their frames at the same spot within a year. He was at a race on another brand bike, and stopped at the Ellsworth tent to look the stuff over, and found they gusseted the spot he kept braking. He made a comment to the guy at the tent, the guy rolled his eyes and said, Yeah some guy "Alex" in Pittsburgh kept breaking them there! Alex started to laugh and said "that was me..." the guy turned beet red, and Alex left!

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
johnbryanpeters said:
I must be having the world's longest unbroken Ellsworth streak.
me too...6 years running...

BillT

Monkey
I've had really good luck with my Ellsworth - bought a '98 Truth (when they were still welded by Ventana) and rode the piss out of it until 2004 when I replaced it with a Blur. The only problem I ever had with the bike was a couple of snapped upper shock bolts that was fixed once I junked the Cane Creek shock with worn eyelet bushings to a Fox Float. I still actually carry around a replacement shock bolt in Camelbak for nostalgic reasons.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Echo said:
When I see the name of that bike, it kind of reminds me of the term "Kodak Moment", except an "Ellsworth Moment" is when you see some dude standing there all depressed with a broken frame :rofl:

Sometimes I just crack myself up.
when people say ellesworth i see chris eagan flying off the road to nowhere, landing it essentially to flat after dropping nearly 30 feet, and the front triangle cracking in no less than 6 spots. I remember that drop very vividly. HAHA i still laugh when i visualize him flying into the cluster of trees.

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
Broke an ID on mt. tussey? I trashed a trek hardtail there for four years and it is still kicking today...it's not so much a mountain as it is a tree covered hill with a ski slope.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Personally, I don't like them. Never really did. But my friend just bought a Moment that is all free-rided out. Full XTR, Fox 36 and DHX 5.0 Coil. It's a nice bike, but way too expensive... and I'm just not too into them.

I love me my Iron Horsies.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I was talking to a guy on a bus in mammoth, that says he has riden ellsworths for the last couple of years. He has broken one already and the one he was riding on had 3 cracks in the frame already. i asked him why he still rides them and hisw answer was because they have a life time warrenty and he gets new frames for "free".

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
jvp108 said:
Broke an ID on mt. tussey? I trashed a trek hardtail there for four years and it is still kicking today...it's not so much a mountain as it is a tree covered hill with a ski slope.
Yup. Thats what they call it. Pretty much a hill I agree. We spent most of the weekend riding the roth rock area and environs. Hit tussey mtn on the way out sunday as a quickie. The ridge trail was cool.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Yet another "Ellsworth Moment"

:p

Ellsworth to Introduce Full Suspension 29er at Interbike

SEPTEMBER 12, 2006 -- RAMONA, CA (BRAIN)—Ellsworth will debut its “Evolve” full-suspension 29er at Interbike later this month. The new 4-inch travel Evolve will feature Ellsworth’s patented ICT suspension technology.

“We started from the ground up with this bike rather than follow the flock of competitors simply enlarging an existing model in order to play in the 29er space,” said Tony Ellsworth of Ellsworth Bicycles. “My challenge as a designer looking at the physics and engineering ramifications of not just the bigger wheels, but the unique rider position and demands of ICT suspension technology, is to admit that everything about this bike had to be different or everything would be a compromise so the Evolve has its own DNA.

"I would rather be late to the 29er party with a more efficient ride than any bike in this class," he added.

As with all Ellsworth frames, the Evolve will be handcrafted from drawn tubing rather than extruded tubing. Ellsworth will deliver the 29er to program dealers in January 2007.