Quantcast

Emobrocation?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Anyone use any of these creams on cold days? We have foul weather every year, especially in March-April and I'm looking for a way to keep my legs warm. Any advice? Can I make my own? Anyone use the brand below? There was a write up a while ago in Bicycling about it
http://madalchemy.com/

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
These work by causing the blood to flow to your skin making you feel warmer but this actually causes the blood to lose more heat causing your core/muscle temps to lower. You are better off just wearing more clothes.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
These work by causing the blood to flow to your skin making you feel warmer but this actually causes the blood to lose more heat causing your core/muscle temps to lower. You are better off just wearing more clothes.
What he said. There was an article about this a while ago on the VN website, I think.

When I saw the title of this, I thought it was about flatbill-wearing, lifted truck-driving teenager who wears eyeliner and hates his parents.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Embrocation isn't about physically warming up, it's about ritual and emotional arousal.

And I love it. M.A. stuff is great. So is Greyhound juice. GJ is made in Portland, and M.A. is from Mass. Go with the flavor that makes you tingly....

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Does it just lower my core temp, or does it actually impact blood flow to my legs? I can be sweating, but still have cold shins...thats my main problem

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Does it just lower my core temp, or does it actually impact blood flow to my legs? I can be sweating, but still have cold shins...thats my main problem

It will cause your legs to lose more heat. Whether or not your muscles are affected I don't know. If your core is warm enough it your leg muscles are probably warm enough. But that being said it isn't going to help warm your muscles either. It is just going to make your skin warmer do to blood flow to the skin, so it is really going to only affect comfort. In situations where your core could get cold it can make things worse.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
It will cause your legs to lose more heat. Whether or not your muscles are affected I don't know. If your core is warm enough it your leg muscles are probably warm enough. But that being said it isn't going to help warm your muscles either. It is just going to make your skin warmer do to blood flow to the skin, so it is really going to only affect comfort. In situations where your core could get cold it can make things worse.
I guess I'll just have to use my usual technique of whiskey shots prior to the race

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Here it is:

http://velonews.com/article/9344

Dawn M. Richardson said:
Skin care, heat balm and keeping covered
I’m old and grumpy enough to observe two recent skin-care fads in cold weather cycling that I find puzzling and medically counterintuitive. The first is bare legs in the snow. I was a junior back when disco was king and all we had to go by was the CONI (Italian Olympic Committee) cycling manual. The good book strictly forbade riding in bare legs below 70 degrees Fahrenheit. These are words to live by, even with the bad English translation. Your skin can only do so much temperature regulation. Cold, bare legs make it harder for your body to maintain core temperature and prevent hypothermia.

Second and even stupider in my opinion are vasodilating balms in a misguided effort to keep bare legs warm when underdressed. By using heat balms you are dilating the blood vessels, thus losing more core temperature. The physiological response to cold exposure is restricting blood flow to the skin and extremities to preserve core temperature. Heat balms to bare cold legs do the opposite and further threaten core temperature. Cold hands and feet and rapidly worsening brain function means you are underdressed, not that you should slap on more wintergreen and capzasin oil and accelerate core hypothermia. There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. Hypothermia doesn’t make you manly and it sure as heck won’t win a race.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I'm confused, isn't "emo-bro-cation" when a bunch of white males in their early 20's go on a trip together and listen to nothing but Texas is the Reason, Promise Ring, Sunny Day Real Estate, and the like while wearing tight jeans and being overly depressed despite their upper middle class suburban upbringing?

-ska todd