Quantcast

Employment and the Monkey...

Have you been laid off for surfing on Ridemonkey too much?

• Nope, can't access it at work.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Yes, but I can hide my surfing real well

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Yes, the "MAN" laid me off!

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Loco sucks.

Votes: 29 60.4%

• Total voters

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I don't go on too much, sometimes on my lunch break or I'll breeze through a couple of times throughout the day. I typically don't have the time, though.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I didn't before but at this new job I just started I better not get caught surfing anything.

L

luelling

how would you hide your surfing? Most network admins track everyone's internet usage and what sites they visit. that being said, I ask becuase I cruise the internet a lot at work :) they claim they only audit the log if they have reason to suspect something....so I keep the windo small at the bottom of the screen and do the "click away" to my work when they come by :rolleyes: wonder if it works? almost a year and not can'd yet

L

luelling

h22ekhatch said:
Just about the only perk of working in IT is the fact that I don't have to worry about anyone watching my surfing habits :)
I'm an IT geek as well...but I still worry some. I'm a programmer and not in the network dept

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
man i didnt get laid off i got straight fired. they said it was innapropriate use of the company internet. on my way out i had to remind them that if it si so innapropriate then why did they (at the time) have an ad on here.

oh well all they did was lose a good employee and give me the kick in the ass i needed to move on to bigger and better things.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, can anyone who was fired for surfing the monkey wasn't fired for just goofing off too much? or the content of ridemonkey was that offensive it got them fired?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i do. a lot. sometimes i get bored a lot at work, so i surf ridemonkey and read news, wikipedia and stuff like that...

i do some IT work here, though am not the IT guy.
the IT guy shut down the internet at all the computers, but allowed a few domains open. among them, ridemonkey.com. my boss was ok with that, he asked me what domains i wanted open.
so i dont have problems with that at all.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I surf RM a ton at work, but my boss doesn't care. She says as long as my work gets done, she's cool. I always get my work done first, and make sure I'm a little ahead of the game.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Years ago back in Rm's early days I got told off for spending 35 hours online on ridemonkey in a 40 hour week...... the boss wouldn't do anything though as I was still the most productive staff member he had (I just had Rm running in the background and would surf it while waiting for the computer to rip large files) :rolleyes:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Funny you should mention this... my Intranet recently has been shut of at work.. I have a feeling its due to too much surfing :help:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
DaveW said:
Years ago back in Rm's early days I got told off for spending 35 hours online on ridemonkey in a 40 hour week...... the boss wouldn't do anything though as I was still the most productive staff member he had (I just had Rm running in the background and would surf it while waiting for the computer to rip large files) :rolleyes:
I can sort of relate to that, i spend alot of time on the monkey, but i also get so much done it is crazy...I think RM is good for me, helps me break up the day and keep my work fresh...

Like many I am in IT but not networking...Can network guys read outside emails? Ala gmail? I would assume not, but the fact that you open it within the firewall, might allow them to. Anyone care to comment?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I don't have a problem I can stop at any time...:cool:

I have a lot of job security... but I don't abuse it... I have a few times a day Prep period and lunch when I do MOST of my RM stuff... but I will check it between classes etc.:thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Like many I am in IT but not networking...Can network guys read outside emails? Ala gmail? I would assume not, but the fact that you open it within the firewall, might allow them to. Anyone care to comment?
If they cared to look at your email, they could see it. Unless maybe you're reading gmail via SSL?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SkaredShtles said:
If they cared to look at your email, they could see it. Unless maybe you're reading gmail via SSL?
Im not a network guy... "SSL"?

Im assuming that is some type of secured access?...Interesting, we have a policy saying not to use the internet, but i think everyone does, and i get my job done and done well.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
manhattanprjkt83 said:
You've never heard of secure sockets layer? What kind of IT work do you do? :think:

Im assuming that is some type of secured access?...Interesting, we have a policy saying not to use the internet, but i think everyone does, and i get my job done and done well.
Just be aware that if they want to can you, they can. :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SSL is a secured site. The Gmail login page is secured but the site isn't. Technically, if they cared to, they can read each and every packet of data that gets shipped to your computer - so yes, they can read any email you pull up on your screen.

I surf RM a lot at work during downtime but this office is really lax about internet use. The last office I worked for wasn't quite as laid back but I still surfed a whole hell of a lot. Doubt they'd have fired me - I was doing Oracle database module implementation for 10% of the salary of an Oracle certified guy :rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I keep thinking about setting up a secured tunnel to my home machine and browsing like that. Probably not worth it though.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
manhattanprjkt83 said:

SUSTAINED SILENT LISTENING!!!:clue:

dumb A$$

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Internet usage at work here is a no no unless it's break time. I pop into the monkey about once an hour to see what's up or new. I've been asked to reduce my internet surfing my by immediate boss.....not because my work is suffering, but because it's a bad example for those who do surf too much and don't get work done.

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
I didn't before but at this new job I just started I better not get caught surfing anything.
Ciaran must have meant this.

Ciaran
My mace can crush bones
Last Activity: 04-20-2006 10:36 PM