Quantcast

Empty chemical warheads found in Iraq

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Here we go...

C'mon, we all know if they find a knife that happens to be an archaelogical artifact, we're going to invade.

I sure hope Saddam doesn't have much for weapons of mass destruction. We'll find out for sure when we corner him, I guess.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Silver
Here we go...

C'mon, we all know if they find a knife that happens to be an archaelogical artifact, we're going to invade.

I sure hope Saddam doesn't have much for weapons of mass destruction. We'll find out for sure when we corner him, I guess.
The UN is still searching, so who knows what else they'll find. You're right though, G.W. is looking for any reason to start the war, and this is about as big a smoking gun as he needs.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
I wonder if these are the warheads saddam was going to launch to "cripple our economy" bush was talking about. Thank God we found them before they launched!!!!! Phew!! Now we can invade.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Jesus
Better than some whacked out liberal from California.
oooo i can see it now.
Hippie president (HP): " hey man this Hussain dude is totally harshing my mellow."
"Chaney and i should invite him over to the crib and bump the Buda for a bit and see if we can’t get the dude to mellow out."

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Originally posted by The Toninator
oooo i can see it now.
Hippie president (HP): " hey man this Hussain dude is totally harshing my mellow."
"Chaney and i should invite him over to the crib and bump the Buda for a bit and see if we can’t get the dude to mellow out."
I like you.

Not a lot, but I like you.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Silver

:) Wow, it looks like you get it after all.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
"The chemical warheads the inspectors found were on 122 mm rockets similar to ones imported by Iraq during the late 1980s, the spokesman said."

What it doesn't say is that they were imported FROM THE US.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by ohio
"The chemical warheads the inspectors found were on 122 mm rockets similar to ones imported by Iraq during the late 1980s, the spokesman said."

What it doesn't say is that they were imported FROM THE US.
Since you seem so sure of yourself (using caps and all), please tell us the US designation of these particular warheads. Remember they are 122mm rockets. Also remember that they would have to be appropriate for chemical weapons delivery.

And I'll I'm asking is that identify the weapon has it appears or would have appeared in the US arsenal. Or failing that at least the firing vehicle used to launch it.

By doing so you will be able to at least partially support your claim that these weapons would have been imported from the US.

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
The US does not use 122mm rockets. This rocket is used in any of 50 off shoots
of the old Soviet BM21 sytem, that is now manufactured in about a dozen countries. There are numerous launching platforms. The most common being a truck mounted multiple launch system. UNSCOM Chenical Warfare inspectors have inspected hundreds of
Iraqi 122mm rockets loaded w/ varied nerve agents since 1991. In fact, in Oct of 1991 an inspector was contaminated by nerve agent during an inspection.
Rockets produced in Russia after 1995 have an improved propellant/motor produced by our friends the French (company name is Celerg).

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by DRB
Since BikeCrasher did your work for you, Ohio, you get to explain what the basis for your statement saying these rockets were imported from the US is.
Slow down there cheetah. Haven't been by all day...

You're right, I'm wrong. These specific rockets were not from the US. My point (which maybe could have been made in a more accurate way), was that we sold a lot of arms to Saddam back when we thought he was on our side. While most are now outdated by 15-20 years, that doesn't mean they won't be used against us.

The only reason we suddenly decided we didn't like Saddam was because he attacked another one of our oil suppliers, Kuwait.

Next time I'll be more careful.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by ohio
The only reason we suddenly decided we didn't like Saddam was because he attacked another one of our oil suppliers, Kuwait
nonono, it was because he was threatening to win the war against Iran outright. we wanted them to fight forever and stay weak. kuwait was later. :D

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by Toshi
nonono, it was because he was threatening to win the war against Iran outright. we wanted them to fight forever and stay weak. kuwait was later. :D

Agreed, we wanted them to keep fighting. After the Iran/Iraq war, Iraq was in a huge debt, and was trying to recover through oil sales. Kuwait broke an OPEC agreement, and exceeded their oil export quota, driving the price down on the world market. This seriously hampered Iraq's recovery process, and felt like a "stab in the back" from a country that was part of Iraq's territory a few decades previous. We make it clear to Saddam that we wouldn't be concerned if he annexes Kuwait, and begin to conduct "Operation: Internal Look". Iraq invades Kuwait, and Kuwait hires some public relation firms to convince the US public and Congress that we need to fend off big-bad Iraq from Kuwait, although the military had already practiced for the event. The public relations firms use a member of the Kuwaiti royalty, a little girl, to tell congress that the Iraqis were killing Kuwaiti babies in their incubators--although the girl was not in Kuwait during the events she described. The pentagon then announces that Iraqi troops are stationed at the Saudi border, and the Saudi oil fields are in jeopardy. They refuse to release the satellite photos that prove their claim, and commercial satelites provide conflicting evidence. We begin moving into Saudi Arabia, before congress says anything. Enter, the gulf war.

This is what I've gathered so far from seeing different documentaries, talking to military dudes, and reading anti-war propaganda.....

Dave

Chimp
Dec 13, 2001
Marin County CA
Originally posted by patconnole
This is what I've gathered so far from seeing different documentaries, talking to military dudes, and reading anti-war propaganda.....
maybe you should lay off the anti-war propaganda.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
DIPLOMACY WITH IRAQ IS FINISHED, STILL POSSIBLE IN NORTH KOREA: RUMSFELD
Tuesday, January 21, 2003 3:42:49 AM

Washington, Jan 21 (ANTARA/AFP) - Diplomacy could still resolve a standoff with North Korea but has already failed in Iraq, US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said Monday, calling Iraq the more
dangerous of the two.

`Iraq and North Korea are both repressive dictatorships to be sure, and both pose threats. But Iraq is unique,` Rumsfeld said in a speech to veterans.

`In both word and deed, Iraq has demonstrated that it is seeking the means to strike the United States and our friends and allies with `weapons of mass destruction for a reason`, so that it can

acquire the territory and assert influence over its neighbors,` he said.

Oh jeez, "aquire territory and assert influence"...... Why do you think WE'RE there, Rumsfield???