Quantcast

Enchilada Recipes Wanted

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Lady friend has tasked me with cooking dinner one up coming night and it needs to be something new. Been craving enchiladas lately.

To note: I have not ever made enchiladas and she has, unfortunately, not ever eaten enchiladas.

I therefor am asking for your best enchilada recipes. I am open to all sauce types.

I once had enchiladas topped with this most excellent creamy poblano based sauce. I wish I had that recipe...

:drool:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I don't have the recipe, but we use toasted ground pumpkin seeds similar to the sauce in this recipe with different innards.

But we bake ours "wet" in the oven like lasagna...

And like lasagna they are really much better on day 2+ so you may as well make a big batch (or two) as the assembly process isn't too bad once you have the inside stuff and sauce ready.

https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/pumpkin-seed-sauce-enchiladas/

HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN SEED SAUCE ENCHILADAS
JUMP TO FULL INSTRUCTIONS

NOTES:

• I used “La Tortilla Factory” handmade-style tortillas (Yellow corn-wheat)
  • These enchiladas with its light green pumpkin seed sauce, are usually made by dipping the tortillas in the sauce, adding some queso fresco in the center, and folding them in half. They are then garnished with crumbled queso fresco and chopped (or sliced) white onion.
  • If you live in a country where queso fresco or other similar cheeses (like farmer’s cheese) are not available, use Feta cheese.
  • You can also enjoy this recipe as a raw pumpkin seed sauce over your grilled chicken or a dipping sauce, similar to a Mexican pumpkin seed dip from the south of Mexico.
DIRECTIONS:

• Roast the serrano pepper and garlic clove on a griddle over medium heat. Remove promptly and set aside. Remove the skin from the garlic. (Please check the ingredients list below)
  • At low heat on the same griddle, roast the pumpkin seeds, making sure to not overcrowd the griddle. If necessary, roast them in two batches to have an even roasting. Once the seeds start popping, stir them frequently with a wooden spatula until they puff up. They will acquire a medium-golden color. Once they’re done, place them in a bowl to let them cool.
  • Place the Serrano peppers, garlic clove, roasted pumpkin seeds, one cup of water (or chicken broth), and ½ teaspoon of salt in a blender. Process these ingredients until you have a fine sauce. If needed, you can stop the blender to stir the mixture manually in order to make sure everything gets processed evenly. Once the sauce is ready, set it aside.

• Place a paper napkin on a plate and set aside. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and lightly fry the tortillas. This is a very quick step since it takes about 15 seconds per each side of the tortilla. You will only warm the tortilla enough to make it pliable. Place the tortilla on the already-prepared dish covered with the paper napkin.
  • To assemble your pumpkin seed sauce enchiladas, add 2 tablespoons of crumbled queso fresco on each tortilla and fold them. Place two folded enchiladas on a plate to make one serving.

• Heat two tablespoons of lard or vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Once it is hot, pour in the pumpkin seed (“pipian”) sauce. Gently stir it and reduce the heat; do not let it come to a boil since this will cause the sauce to curdle. Gently simmer it for 5-6 minutes; this last step will make the sauce thicker. If it looks too thick, add a few tablespoons of water or chicken broth. Taste the sauce and add more salt if needed.
  • Pour some of the pumpkin seed/pipian sauce over the enchiladas, then top them with more queso fresco and some chopped onion.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Step 1: cook enchiladas
Step 2: toss that gross abomination
Step 3: order delivery from your fav Mexican joint
Step 4: profit?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Lady friend has tasked me with cooking dinner one up coming night and it needs to be something new. Been craving enchiladas lately.

To note: I have not ever made enchiladas and she has, unfortunately, not ever eaten enchiladas.

I therefor am asking for your best enchilada recipes. I am open to all sauce types.

I once had enchiladas topped with this most excellent creamy poblano based sauce. I wish I had that recipe...

:drool:
I'll have to remember to bring it to work, but I have a great Mexican cookbook for beginners. Has probably one of the easiest to follow recipes for authentic red enchilada sauce. It's time consuming to make proper enchilada sauce but a the batch will keep for week or more.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I make tacos, I eat enchiladas at resturants. I had a mexican girlfriend once that cooked great enchiladas, I dont miss her though just her enchilada. I suggests good ingredients instead of ground beef or plain shredded chicken. My favorites are the crab and fish ones.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I make tacos, I eat enchiladas at resturants. I had a mexican girlfriend once that cooked great enchiladas, I dont miss her though just her enchilada. I suggests good ingredients instead of ground beef or plain shredded chicken. My favorites are the crab and fish ones.
i was able to get my gets (ages 4 and 2) to eat enchildas by using shredded chicken. i cook the chicken breasts in an instant pot, which makes for a great consistency for shredding.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Enchiladas are easy.

How much cooking do you want to do? Are you trying to make "knock-your-chanklas-off" caliber enchiladas, or "pretty standard" quality.

The fact that your wife has never had them is disappointing and impressive.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
i was able to get my gets (ages 4 and 2) to eat enchildas by using shredded chicken. i cook the chicken breasts in an instant pot, which makes for a great consistency for shredding.
Im not saying they are bad but if you can do better.....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hmmm... you got me thinkin'. Next time Costco has big tubs of lump crab meat I'm gonna get some and make some muthafukin' crab tacos. Any pointers on additions? Just maybe some lime/cilantro cabbage, chipotle crema, and fresh lime?

Goddammit. Now I'm hungry for crab tacos. :mad:
Amada has crab stuffed peppers.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Hmmm... you got me thinkin'. Next time Costco has big tubs of lump crab meat I'm gonna get some and make some muthafukin' crab tacos. Any pointers on additions? Just maybe some lime/cilantro cabbage, chipotle crema, and fresh lime?

Goddammit. Now I'm hungry for crab tacos. :mad:
Fuck yes!!! maybe some tomatoes or maybe not.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Screw that laborious process of rolling everything up. Make all your sauce & filling. Roasted poblano tomato red sauce chicken beef whatever the fuck. Cheese. Good melty cheese. Take a bunch of your tortillas (corn or flour) and stick egg m in the oven about 10 minutes @ 200-250F. Just enough to get a touch browned.

Then make your enchiladas as you would lasagna. Layer of filling sauce cheese. Layer of tortilla. Layer of sauce cheese filling. Layer of tortilla. Repeat desired height is achieved.

Sprinkle more cheese fresh herbs blah blah blah on top at the last minute after baking to get a nice brown top.

You pre-cooked all your fillings, right? Then everything should come together very easily and it will only need to be in the oven 15 to 45 minutes depending on how much done you want it and how goopy you're goopy you're filling may or may not be.

This can be adapted to nearly any enchilada recipe you find. It can potentially save a lot of time. Again, all depending on what you decide to use for fillings.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I can't believe not one of you guys recommended enchiladas de mole. With turkey meat. And a chile relleno on the side as your veggie. i don't have recipes on hand, but Google should be able sort you out. Mole sauce should be available at the same place you get corn tortillas.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Yeah - that's a real shame.

Fucker.

:mad:

Since the tacos shown above are so dang delicious, I decided to search that lady's blog to see if she has an equally tasty-looking enchilada recipe.

The answer is "well fuck yeah" and there are several to choose from. Most of them were vegan/vegetarian in nature, all of those looked pretty dang good actually. Here's the one she makes from yard-bird:

Shit looks legit AF.

https://www.wellplated.com/green-chile-chicken-enchiladas/

She does a lot of slow-cooker and instant-pot stuff, which is pretty righteous.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Roast poblano and jalapeno frittata. With tomato, onion, garlic, cumin, cilantro, oregano. Several cheeses mixed in.

20190605_135658.jpg
20190605_174743.jpg
20190605_175608.jpg

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Roast cauliflower tacos with bacon or crispy chicken skin crumbles are pretty fantastic as well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Some friends from New Mexico invited me over for some authentic N.M. enchiladas a few years ago. I was pretty damn excited about it until I saw the results. Cream of mushroom soup, Chiles, chicken and tortillas.

Authentic Betty Crocker. Fucking white people.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
If Scrub posts a Enchilada Recipe. I am down with it.
Scrubbie's green Mexi lasagna (aka enchiladas)

family size (6-8 pcs) skinless/boneless chx thighs
4-8 poblano chilis, add jalapenos to taste
corn or flour tortillas
garlic, a big yellow onion or two, s&p, cumin, oregano, and cilantro. those last two preferably fresh, nicely chopped up. don't be shy with the garlic or cumin! it may have an odor slightly reminiscent of dirtly laundry, but that's fine.
melty cheese of a couple varieties (ours usually is a blend of whatever is kicking about the fridge) cotija and other legit mexi cheeses are nice, but a good mix of muenster, parmesan, cheddar, and swiss works pretty well!

preheat the oven to 400F, and get a mixing bowl full of icy water ready. and get those poblanos and jalapenos in some salt and olive oil in there on a roasting pan. let 'em go about 12 minutes. rotate them. repeat until getting charred a bit. pull them out, toss into the icy water. peel the skin off, de-stem and seed them. set aside.

stick your tortillas in that oven now. just right on the racks. they just need a few minutes - enough to get dry-ish, but not burnt or too dry. this prevents them from getting too soggy later on.

shred up your cheeses. i just toss it all into the food processor for a minute. waaaaaaay faster and easier.

get a pan hot to sweat the garlic and onions a bit. add the spices to taste. get it nice and hot, then brown the chx thighs. turn things down low and let it simmer. you want the chx to be juuuuuuuuuuuust done. maybe even a touch under. it's going to cook more once you toss the whole thing in the oven anyhow.

pull the chx apart, and chunk the poblano/jalapeno mixture up into whatever chunk size you prefer. mix it all back together in the pan with the onions, etc. you can add in a bit of crema or sour cream here if you like, but don't go nuts or things get too soupy. drain off if you feel there is too much liquid.

layer up that baking dish! I generally only do two, as I tend to keep the bits on the thick and chunky side, but smaller bits with a third layer ought to work fine.

chicken/pepper goop
cheese
tortilla
chicken/pepper goop
cheese
tortilla

into the oven for as long as you feel it needs to get melty and good. drop the temp if it'll be a bit before eating, and cover with foil. finish under the broiler just a touch. sprinkle with a bit more cheese, preferably a hard and salty variety.

red jalapenos or a little tomato can add a bit more color - just make sure to get rid of some of the tomato liquid. garnish with more fresh herbs, fresh raw corn kernals, salsa, whatever.

(have done the same thing without chicken, and turned it into a soup with the magic of the stick blender, and served over crispy roasted red potatoes with crema and cheese.)

Last edited: