Quantcast

End of Summer XC Epic Ideas???

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My buddies and I are thinking of an XC epic weekend 23rd, 24th & 25th. We are hoping for warm and Eastern Washington. I have checked emptybeer but didn't come up with much. We will need a place to camp for tens and one trailer, a nice short trail for Friday & Sunday and a 25 to 30 miler for Saturday.

Any ideas? What's happened to GearGirl now that I need her?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Here you go:

29 Pines CG on the North Fork of the Teanaway:
Esmeralda Basin/DeRoux
Miller Peak
Stafford/Standup Creek
Beverly Turnpike/Iron Mountain

Cashmere/Levenworth:
Devil's Gulch/Mission Ridge figure 8
Red Hill/Red Devil
Freund Canyon

Taneum Creek(Icewater Creek CG):
North Fork/Fishhook Flats
Taneum Ridge/South Fork
Shoestring Lake/Hereford Meadows/Keenan Meadows

Winthrop;
Lightning Creek/Starvation/Blue Buck
Sun Mountain trails
Cuttthroat pass
Mazama River trail
Cooney Lake to the South

Entiat:
Pot Peak
Duncan Hill
Pyramid Mountain
Klone peak

Fish Lake/Chiwawa:
Mad lake trails
Basalt Ridge
Chikamin Tie

410:
Crow Creek
Sand Creek
Bunch of other stuff.

Hope that helps!
(Make my own morning coffee out camping...Sorry.)

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
hehehehe. I won't tell you that it's usually on a electric Braun coffemaker and the generator is running....

If you want details on any of those weekends. Just let me know and I can elaborate.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Borneo said:
Here you go:

29 Pines CG on the North Fork of the Teanaway:
Esmeralda Basin/DeRoux
Miller Peak
Stafford/Standup Creek
Beverly Turnpike/Iron Mountain

Cashmere/Levenworth:
Devil's Gulch/Mission Ridge figure 8
Red Hill/Red Devil
Freund Canyon

Taneum Creek(Icewater Creek CG):
North Fork/Fishhook Flats
Taneum Ridge/South Fork
Shoestring Lake/Hereford Meadows/Keenan Meadows

Winthrop;
Lightning Creek/Starvation/Blue Buck
Sun Mountain trails
Cuttthroat pass
Mazama River trail
Cooney Lake to the South

Entiat:
Pot Peak
Duncan Hill
Pyramid Mountain
Klone peak

Fish Lake/Chiwawa:
Mad lake trails
Basalt Ridge
Chikamin Tie

410:
Crow Creek
Sand Creek
Bunch of other stuff.

Hope that helps!
(Make my own morning coffee out camping...Sorry.)

wow, thats alot of trail. More than this fat and lazy beer swilling DH'er would ever want to ride. Although, maybe i could shuttle some, and skid my rear tire all the way down.

Camp coffee is only good if it has grounds and ashes in it.....

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I will eventually take you up on all of those probably. I have yet to explore Eastern Washington.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
You do that. We'll be here. I'll be back to Bend too and hoping that you're not a cripple then... :thumb:
Also, looking for good 3 day trip stuff to the Blue Mountains. I hear Benders go that way in the spring?

BTW: There's a Pyramid/Duncan weekend posted on the BBTC calendar and you can see killer pics of earlier trips on the WA passion page of MTBR.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
My buddies and I are thinking of an XC epic weekend 23rd, 24th & 25th. We are hoping for warm and Eastern Washington. I have checked emptybeer but didn't come up with much. We will need a place to camp for tens and one trailer, a nice short trail for Friday & Sunday and a 25 to 30 miler for Saturday.
Any ideas? What's happened to GearGirl now that I need her?

um, right here boss.

What's funny is I usually go somewhere elses for my epics ( McCall, Oregon)
I think Skookum's write up of the Kettle Crest trail sounded awesome.

But if you wanted to head up to the Idaho Panhandle...

If you want to explore the North Fork of the Couer d'Alene River area, lots of high quality singletrack up in there, plus primitive camping. Our club site has some detailed information on some of the rides there,
http://www.fttrc.org/rides/cdariver.cfm is some pretty detailed writeups of some of the trails. I think the one that's called CDA River trail to 309 might qualify as an epic of some degree.

The lost Creek loop is a blast, you can shuttle it ( 9 or so mile of singletrack depending on where you start to ride, we start at the saddle) or about 23 miles if you go up the logging road.

Bernard Peak overlooking the south end of Lake Pend'Orelle is a great ride, about 6 miles of climbing up forest singletrack,come out overlooking the lake, The guys at Mtn View cyclery in Hayden Lake would be the best to consult for the trailhead, there has been logging up there so the road configuration is always changing. Farrragut State Park has lots of fun singletrack.

And then there's Gold Hill just s of Sandpoint, something like 50 climbing grade switchbacks on the way up to the top, again, great views overlooking the lake...

You could also hit Silver Mt for a day of lift serve if you were so inclined, or if you want EASY with scenery you can hit the Hiawatha rail trail, 13 miles of 2% grade with lots of trestles and tunnels... the Taft tunnel is 2 miles long and lights are required.

gg

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
coffee, my life will never be the same since I spent a few days mountaing biking and camping in Ketchum with a coffee nerd. He roasts his own beans, has tons of specail brewing eqipment, omg, it was great.

gg

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I wouldn't say so, that's still the Cascades which we drysiders consider to be on the West side.

A lot of folks draw the E/W line at Ellensburg or so, but everything e. of Ellensburg is a lot of territory.

gg(spokane)

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Serial Midget said:
Oh... I thought you lived in Eastern WA. Idaho is too far for a weekend. I think I have decided on the Leavenworth area. Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)
all that work for nothing.

I do live in E WA, way east. Almost to Idaho, but not quite.
;-)

geargrrl

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Well, as a "Coastie", I consider Leavenworth East as it's East of the crest. But, perhaps "Central" is more appropriate.
So, Leavenworth huh? Boy, depends on whether we get rain by then..

There's camping on Icicle Creek outside Leavenworth but they may be full. Lot's of unimproved stuff off the Devil's Gulch Climb though. Google "camping/Leavenworth" or Cashmere and see what you get.

Easy Friday? Hmmm, Try Red Hill, Red Devil from the DG trailhead.
Saturday: Devil's Gulch/Mission Ridge figure 8.
Sunday: Freund Canyon (10 miles or so.)

Check with the guys at Das Rad Haus in Leavenworth for shuttle options, etc.

Gustav's for beer, brats, and sauerkraut.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Borneo said:
Well, as a "Coastie", I consider Leavenworth East as it's East of the crest. But, perhaps "Central" is more appropriate.
So, Leavenworth huh? Boy, depends on whether we get rain by then..

There's camping on Icicle Creek outside Leavenworth but they may be full. Lot's of unimproved stuff off the Devil's Gulch Climb though. Google "camping/Leavenworth" or Cashmere and see what you get.

Easy Friday? Hmmm, Try Red Hill, Red Devil from the DG trailhead.
Saturday: Devil's Gulch/Mission Ridge figure 8.
Sunday: Freund Canyon (10 miles or so.)

Check with the guys at Das Rad Haus in Leavenworth for shuttle options, etc.

Gustav's for beer, brats, and sauerkraut.
We just may do that - I noted their advertising as I was searching the Internet. Skookum may have other ideas though... :eek:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Taneum Junction Campground is pretty cool because of all the trails that dump right into the campground. Also five of the trails can be shuttle from the Campground and three or four are rather quick shuttles. It has something for everyone. Its not as popular with mountain bikers as it is with motos. There are two xc trails that can be run Fishhook Flats-13 miles and South Fork-North Fork Taneum-18 miles.

If you are coming with a big group and not everyone is XC some of the guys could easily run Taneum Ridge, Gooseberry Flat, and Gnat Flat while the rest of the crew did Fishook or Taneum. When everyone is finished they are at the campground. Also for shuttlling Gooseberry and Taneum are pretty direct shuttles from the campground. Gooseberry Flat is a nice little screamer dropping 700 feet in a little over a mile, nothing real technical just a nice long drop-perfect for the big bike novice.

The downside on Taneum is that motos use the place, although there are so many trails you might not see any, also the trails can get a bit dusty and loose. None of this would be considered epic although if you did a couple of trails you could get in some decent climbing and mileage. If you are looking for fun rather than an epic you might take a look at this.