Quantcast

Enderpo Helmet Choice

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is there a helmet of choice for enderpos? Do most people rock half dome, XC lids, or full faces? Has somebody been sitting on a cache of switchblades waiting for this moment?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i normally go for full face DOT helmets, unless am riding around town. thats the only scenario where i rock a xc helmet.

in a few of my "all mountain rides", i have come across enduro moto-riders... and in some tech descents... my friends and i even pass a few of them.
on the flat out downhill-ish parts, i hit 40+mph on a 160mm bike.

going teeth first into a rock is no fun.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
enduro?

new mavic helmet look sweet. it depends what price i want to pay. Troy Lee A1 looks good! But there are plenty of helmets of half price, 100 euros price class.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Is there a helmet of choice for enderpos? Do most people rock half dome, XC lids, or full faces? Has somebody been sitting on a cache of switchblades waiting for this moment?
looool

I still have a switchblade sitting around somewhere!

At the time it seemed like a good idea.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
On a more serious note than before, I'd wait until the rules all settle down before buying anything specifically for Enduros.
Over here the current rules tend to be that a helmet must be worn at all times, including transition stages. Which is a (understandable) pain in the @rse as I'd often like to have the fullfacer for stages, but screw climbing 4,500ft wearing it! And Euro style with fullfacers required on stages is a pain too as you'll really want to carry an XC lid for the transitions.
Quite how this'll change now that the UCI have their hands on the rule book, nobody knows

Foxbat

Chimp
Aug 14, 2008
Portland OR
There was a thread on mtbr where a guy broke off the chin guard of an Urge full face helmet and rearranged his face. They may be hot a f*ck but a full face DH helmet is better than plastic surgery.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well that's the question. I don't know if I'll ever even race enderpo, but if I do, it's a bit of a dilemma. I like my teefs, so I'd want a full face, and I can imagine few things more painful than an extended climb up a mountain wearing a hot full face (maybe hitting my chin on a rock). I agree that you need to wear a helmet any time you're on the bike....so that leaves to wonder what people will gravitate towards.

I actually think something like the switchblade would be perfect...especially if it had thumb screws to remove the chin plate at the bottom.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What enduro has you climbing 4500 feet at once?

Anyway, if you think you need a full face, get a real one, not one of those fake things that won't do squat.

And oh yeah: ENDURO!!!

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
I didn't say at once. Last years Innerleithen UK Enduro had 4,500ft of climbing over the 5 stage course, despite being early March the temperature was 80 degrees (27C) so it wouldn't have been much fun in a fullfacer!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
There is no way you would want to run a full face in Enduros around here. Climbing 3500ft in this humidity and being on your bike all day, you might as well wear sandpaper underwear and do lunges between stages.
I got the TLD A1 the day that it came out. It basically replaced two helmets for me. My old worn out xc lid and my old skate lid. It fits great and is really adjustable, offers a lot of protection, and vents well as well.
It cost a little more than some other options, but it is a high quality helmet and I am hoping it will last a while.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
What about this. Wear a back pack,just a little one with some water and a snack perhaps (mmmm snacks) and carry your welter weight helmet (I have a 4 year old giro hex) for the uphill stages or climbs between stages when manditory to have a helmet then chuck it on your back pack nice and snug, you won't even know its there and use a real helmet like a tld d3 for your racingness. And if there is a climb during the stage hurt a bit till the end of the climb and have a drink of water and a snack (once again mmmmm snacks)

Those plastic full face things went out with the end of the 90s when 7' free ride bikes had tiny tiny chain rings for teeter totters and climbing up frome mountain.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
^ Enduroing is the new All-Mountaining.
all-mountaineering is the old trail riding.

it was just a curious question. I thought enderping was just "broing" out with your homies, but then also racing, so it's not like racing, it's more bro-ey, but it's also racing. Just more bro-like.

It just puzzled me how you would keep your crepe crushers clean when you're out not really racing but also racing.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
The more serious races give you set start times for each stage, which will be based on your seeding. So unless you and yo bros are the same category and speed there might not be any bro-ing at all (well, until finish line fist bumps anyway)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The more serious races give you set start times for each stage, which will be based on your seeding. So unless you and yo bros are the same category and speed there might not be any bro-ing at all (well, until finish line fist bumps anyway)
this isn't bro-back mountain (biking)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
all-mountaineering is the old trail riding.

it was just a curious question. I thought enderping was just "broing" out with your homies, but then also racing, so it's not like racing, it's more bro-ey, but it's also racing. Just more bro-like.

It just puzzled me how you would keep your crepe crushers clean when you're out not really racing but also racing.

after your announcement yesterday, this kind of non-sense has me shaking my head

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What about this. Wear a back pack,just a little one with some water and a snack perhaps (mmmm snacks) and carry your welter weight helmet (I have a 4 year old giro hex) for the uphill stages or climbs between stages when manditory to have a helmet then chuck it on your back pack nice and snug, you won't even know its there and use a real helmet like a tld d3 for your racingness. And if there is a climb during the stage hurt a bit till the end of the climb and have a drink of water and a snack (once again mmmmm snacks)
FYI, I know of someone who is now a paraplegic from having done exactly this. Climbed up wearing xc lid. Changed to the full face at the top and strapped the xc lid to his back pack. During the descent, he crashed onto his back, where the xc lid acted as a fulcrum and did a number on his spinal chord. Granted, the chances are one in a million, but it's a downright scary thought...

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Use your XC lid, just be sure to have grown a natty looking moustache to go with.