Quantcast

Endomondo's National Bike Challenge? (warning, bike content!)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Anyone else here doing Endomondo's 2012 National Bike Challenge? Last year the Bike Fed of Wisconsin started a bike challenge and got ~4500 Wisconsin riders to sign up and track their rides, and then compiled the total numbers at the end of it (1.2m miles logged, 41m calories burned, $310,000 "saved", etc). They used it both for outreach as well as lobbying, and so decided to make it a national campaign this year. So far in the "warm up" phase (the actual challenge runs from May 1 to August 31st), 6322 riders nationally have clocked in half a million miles nationally and reduced the amount of CO2 released into the atmosphere by 476,000lbs.

Assuming that word gets out and more riders sign up (so far nationally it's only ~50% more riders than *just* Wisconsinites last year), there's the potential to rack up some eye-popping numbers. I honestly have no idea what the whole "teams" thing is for (I didn't actually participate last year), but if you're signing up, want to join my team (Stray Cat Bicycles)? I know that they're looking at making it a bit of a contest between the different states/urban areas/etc, but not sure how that's all going to play out.

Anyway, it seems like a fun exercise, and since most of us are already using Strava/Tracks/etc, it's a neat way to compile all of the data from cyclists across the country.