Quantcast

Endurance Help

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Yesterday was my first 5hr race this year - not bad results but I have a few things that I need to fix.

1. My hands hurt really bad after about 2 hours. I just picked up a pair of ERGON GX1 to help with that.

Anyone have glove recommendations?

2. My butt took a beating - I have a raw line on each cheek from the seat. So I was wondering what kind of shorts you guys wear - also what saddle you would recommend for endurance rides.

Thanks for the help

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I call that "cut butt". I have had success with Voler shorts but it's all personal preference so keep testing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
-Simply riding more can take care of those problems. Hands and ass will toughen up.
-Check your saddle height, if your hips are rotating when you pedal that will cause undue motion and friction on yer ass.
-Lower your tire pressure. Lot's of people think higher tire pressure will give them better rolling resistance, WRONG. On a rough surface less is better. You want to just have enough pressure that you will not pinch flat or roll a tire.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
-Simply riding more can take care of those problems. Hands and ass will toughen up.
-Check your saddle height, if your hips are rotating when you pedal that will cause undue motion and friction on yer ass.
-Lower your tire pressure. Lot's of people think higher tire pressure will give them better rolling resistance, WRONG. On a rough surface less is better. You want to just have enough pressure that you will not pinch flat or roll a tire.
I think more riding will help - I don't start having these problems until the 2 to 2.5 hour mark. I haven't logged alot of long rides this year.

Saddle height is good - I had this bike fitted for me at the my LBC and tire pressure is 25psi front 27psi rear (tubeless)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I think more riding will help - I don't start having these problems until the 2 to 2.5 hour mark. I haven't logged alot of long rides this year.

Saddle height is good - I had this bike fitted for me at the my LBC and tire pressure is 25psi front 27psi rear (tubeless)
Yah, I've had the cut butt problem before and I'd been riding long distances for quite awhile. I chocked it up to a crappy pair of Pearl Izumi shorts.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Definitely try a different pair of shorts. Also, are you going with baggies or lycra. I had some issues with baggies during 24 hour races...the extra seams added a chaffing factor so I just roll with lycra now (LUNA Sport shorts, Sugoi and Terry--all women's though).

What were the conditions like? If it's really muddy, changing your chamois and getting all the grit out of the nether regions is very important. Also, try a moisture barrier (chamois butt'r, or even desitin or bag balm) helps. I run women's specific saddles so I can't really help there, but there is a perfect chamois/saddle combo for everyone so keep trying.

Hands -- mine have been achy and numb depending on the weather conditions. Gel or padded gloves might help. What grips are you running? I switched to thinner grips with better gloves and that helped. I also had to change my bars slightly so I wasn't putting so much force on the same pressure spots in my hands.

Riding more will help with both but having the right chamois/saddle & bar/glove combos are key.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Definitely try a different pair of shorts. Also, are you going with baggies or lycra. I had some issues with baggies during 24 hour races...the extra seams added a chaffing factor so I just roll with lycra now (LUNA Sport shorts, Sugoi and Terry--all women's though).

What were the conditions like? If it's really muddy, changing your chamois and getting all the grit out of the nether regions is very important. Also, try a moisture barrier (chamois butt'r, or even desitin or bag balm) helps. I run women's specific saddles so I can't really help there, but there is a perfect chamois/saddle combo for everyone so keep trying.

Hands -- mine have been achy and numb depending on the weather conditions. Gel or padded gloves might help. What grips are you running? I switched to thinner grips with better gloves and that helped. I also had to change my bars slightly so I wasn't putting so much force on the same pressure spots in my hands.

Riding more will help with both but having the right chamois/saddle & bar/glove combos are key.

Great advice Treesaw - I was rocking lycra yesterday with some monkey butt powder. Conditions were dry dry dry -

I think I'll try some Voler shorts and assocream for the next long ride and see how that works. I want to try this out before swapping to a different saddle.

Right now I'm running the stock bontrager grips that came on my trek but I just ordered ERGON GX1 - I have those on my single speed and have never had a problem.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Yesterday was my first 5hr race this year - not bad results but I have a few things that I need to fix.

1. My hands hurt really bad after about 2 hours. I just picked up a pair of ERGON GX1 to help with that.

Anyone have glove recommendations?

2. My butt took a beating - I have a raw line on each cheek from the seat. So I was wondering what kind of shorts you guys wear - also what saddle you would recommend for endurance rides.

Thanks for the help

So I did another 5hr race this weekend - and my Voler shorts kept my ass in good shape. Still a little sore but not nearly as bad as before.

Hands did 100 times better this time with the new grips and gloves -

Back felt great with the new riser bars

New Problems:
Nipples were rubbed raw (band aids next time)

My sports drink infinit nutrition (awesome stuff) gave me horrible post ride cramps - need to have my blend adjusted.

All in all it was a much better race - I ended up taking 5th place this past weekend. My best endurance result ever!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
So I did another 5hr race this weekend - and my Voler shorts kept my ass in good shape. Still a little sore but not nearly as bad as before.

Hands did 100 times better this time with the new grips and gloves -

Back felt great with the new riser bars

New Problems:
Nipples were rubbed raw (band aids next time)

My sports drink infinit nutrition (awesome stuff) gave me horrible post ride cramps - need to have my blend adjusted.

All in all it was a much better race - I ended up taking 5th place this past weekend. My best endurance result ever!

Bandaids...LOL! How loose is your jersey? Bandaids will work though.

Sports drink -- too acidic? Try eating some basic foods (blueberries, almonds) to settle your stomach too.

Chamois butt'r?

Congrats on the 5th place finish!!!

mosovich

Chimp
Jan 1, 2010
Augusta, Ga
If you are using bibs, I always wear a light undershirt by defeet and cut it half way just to cover the nips.. Another cream that's a lot cheaper than assos is Eucerin that you can get anywhere.. Just because Assos is expensive doesn't mean it's better.. Also, make sure the shorts or bibs fit good.. Loose shorts can kill your ass..