Quantcast

Endurance racing and protein

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I've had a problem in the past with bonking towards the end of 12 and 24 hour races. I think i'm am getting to the cause of the problem, nutrition. More specifically protein.
What are y'all using to replace protein?
it was suggested to me by a several time 24 hour race winner and state champ that i should replace 40g's per 10miles/1hour. (that's roughly the distance of our 24 hour course)
but i forgot to ask what he's using.
suggestions?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by The Toninator
could be but his 24 hour team has won the 4 man sport vet 2 years in a row and has never lost a state championship race he didnt intend to.
That could be possible with a 4 man team where you could race for an hour rest/eat for 3. But for a solo effort there is no way I could digest that much protein and spend a decent amount of time on the bike.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Does not sound high to me - he is probably using an easy to digest brand. As part of a 4 man team he is replacing 40 grams for every hour or 240 grams. The average guy sitting on his ass at home needs about 65 to 75 grams a day...

I like this for sustained efforts while running = LINK but is does not have the amount of protien you are looking for... :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
2 cups of Hormel turkey chili. You could liquify it in a blender, mix it in your camelback and drink it as you ride.

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
During the 24 hour races that I have done I usually consume a recovery drink that contains portein along with the carbs such as Endurox or Smartfuel's BioFix. After that I chow down on high carb foods such as pasta, potatoes or muffins. You want a little protein during your recovery to help your muscles recover, but 40g per hour is way too much because your body doesn't digest protein nearly as fast as carbs. I would think 10 to 20 grams of protein between your laps would be plenty.