Quantcast

Endurance workout Q

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
For the next month i'm doing my Base1 i did a long prep about 8 weeks long inwhich i got lots of riding and running done outside.
Base 2 seems to be more on a trainer but thats when i could XC ski for endurance workouts december won't be very good for skiing of any kind i don't think but it's to cold to do stuff outside like run so.
For tomorrow i'm supposed to do a 3 hour endurance workout it's going to be to cold to run outside and besides injured something on my knee so it hurts to much to run.
The most i can do at one time on a trainer is 2 hours so for a 3 hour workout can i do like 1.5 hours on the trainer than do something else for few hours than come back and do another 1.5 hours?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
For the next month i'm doing my Base1 i did a long prep about 8 weeks long inwhich i got lots of riding and running done outside.
Base 2 seems to be more on a trainer but thats when i could XC ski for endurance workouts december won't be very good for skiing of any kind i don't think but it's to cold to do stuff outside like run so.
For tomorrow i'm supposed to do a 3 hour endurance workout it's going to be to cold to run outside and besides injured something on my knee so it hurts to much to run.
The most i can do at one time on a trainer is 2 hours so for a 3 hour workout can i do like 1.5 hours on the trainer than do something else for few hours than come back and do another 1.5 hours?
first off before you do anything you need to get the knee problem worked out. first question i have to ask is where is the pain coming from? you may think all of this is minor, much like i did until i went to the doctor n she told me i had all sorts of muscle imbalances and was quite close to tearing both of my acl's. there are a lot of stretches i'd recommend that you should be doing to help out w/ balancing the muscles in your legs, as well as resistnace weight training. an imbalance is going to create a lot of unwanted pressure and will cause a lot of pain in your knees which might be waht the problem is right now. the other problem maybe you are not properly fitted to your bike. i would HIGHLY recommend finding a coach in area and spending the 100 bucks or however much it costs to get you fitted to your bike. you'd be surprised at how off your judgement of fit might be from what you actually need. if you can ride 2 hours on the trainer why not 3, its only an extra hour, just pop another cd in. just focus on putting time in the saddle for your endurance workouts and spinning circles. i know i thought i had a clean pedal stroke when i was your age n i found out otherwise when i got on a set of rollers......

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well my knee problem is on the back of my right knee on the outside were that big tendon attaches to the bone.
Thats were it hurts it happened when i was running i was bored i had run for about 1.5 hours and i disided to start running sideways for a while when i got home and sat down for about an hour. When i got up it killed. It was alright for awhile but i tryed running today and it hurt like i bitch so i haven't done anything today.
I'm not to worried about it i do strech al the time. I also hit my knee in that spot in gym class i forget how but that might be why to.
For MS weights i can already do all my body weight goals when it comes to leg stuff is this normal?

Today my dad took me to look at the 2 closest gyms. One of the
Physical Park is amasing. It's been open just 2 months and my LBS sponseres one of the spin classes they'll be on my racing jersey for next year.

Their spin room is amasing it has 20 bikes all shwinn and it's like a theater the bikes are placed around a 20x20 foot cinama screen and they are all at different hights.
When they don't have spin classes going i can go in and watch a DVD or listen to CD and the have a cool lighten system so you can have like disco lights.
I'm totally joining the spin classes.
All the weights are placed 10 feet apart from each other and the cealling is about 20 feet high.
Then there's the tred mills which i'll also do they put them in the middle of the building they each have there own 27" flat screen digital tv so you can watch what you want. This will be great when it's really cold cause i can do some spinning than do some running to complete my endurance workouts.
They also have taning rooms so i can get all taned so i'll lokk awsome when i get it my spandex in the spring:D
They also have a steam bath and sona.:rolleyes:
My parents are probly going to pay so i can do all of that. So i'll go on the bus there every day after school and spend a few hours their. God damn i'm going to be Junoir world champion wahoo.:p

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Well my knee problem is on the back of my right knee on the outside were that big tendon attaches to the bone.
Thats were it hurts it happened when i was running i was bored i had run for about 1.5 hours and i disided to start running sideways for a while when i got home and sat down for about an hour. When i got up it killed. It was alright for awhile but i tryed running today and it hurt like i bitch so i haven't done anything today.
I'm not to worried about it i do strech al the time. I also hit my knee in that spot in gym class i forget how but that might be why to.
For MS weights i can already do all my body weight goals when it comes to leg stuff is this normal?

Today my dad took me to look at the 2 closest gyms. One of the
Physical Park is amasing. It's been open just 2 months and my LBS sponseres one of the spin classes they'll be on my racing jersey for next year.

Their spin room is amasing it has 20 bikes all shwinn and it's like a theater the bikes are placed around a 20x20 foot cinama screen and they are all at different hights.
When they don't have spin classes going i can go in and watch a DVD or listen to CD and the have a cool lighten system so you can have like disco lights.
I'm totally joining the spin classes.
All the weights are placed 10 feet apart from each other and the cealling is about 20 feet high.
Then there's the tred mills which i'll also do they put them in the middle of the building they each have there own 27" flat screen digital tv so you can watch what you want. This will be great when it's really cold cause i can do some spinning than do some running to complete my endurance workouts.
They also have taning rooms so i can get all taned so i'll lokk awsome when i get it my spandex in the spring:D
They also have a steam bath and sona.:rolleyes:
My parents are probly going to pay so i can do all of that. So i'll go on the bus there every day after school and spend a few hours their. God damn i'm going to be Junoir world champion wahoo.:p
well sounds to me like you are more worried about everything except for the weight room. spin class is nice n all but you don't need that type of intensity right now. all that is going to do is throw your base stuff off. and well to be honest i wouldn't be worried about running to help your endurance out. what's goin to help your endurance out is actually riding your bike, not running, and not spin class. weights will help you out w/ leg strength. that's the only thing i'd be worried about w/ a gym membership. and to your i'm going to be world champ next year......that's not going to happen. i mean it's nice to think all of that but try to keep your goals realistic man.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well Joe Friel says that when you're doing endurance stuff it doesn't matter what you're doing cause your heart an lungs can't tell the difference and i think and have heard from other people you have to do some sort of cross training and it will help you out biking.
So i geuus i don't need the spin classes now and that's ok. But i like the idea of being able to bike for an hour than run without having to go outside. :p
Another thing i like about it is that the atmasphere at this place makes you want to run and stuff.
When should i start spin classes? Base 2 or 3 or should i wait till Build starts i will most likely be doing some road races in Build 2.

Ow and i don't mean i'm going to the world champs next year that is crasy but maybe when i'm in my last year of Junoir and thats like 2 years from now.

Anyways i have a free day pass so i'll try everything out but the spin classes i won't do them yet cause i believe you that they will mess my base up.

I want to get some rollers maybe for christmas than i could use them on my rest day or something.

I don't think i should worry about long endurance stuff so much seeing that my races are only about 25km long and take about 1h 15min to finish the longest race i did last year took me 3h 22min to finish and i came in secong 2 min from first.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Well Joe Friel says that when you're doing endurance stuff it doesn't matter what you're doing cause your heart an lungs can't tell the difference and i think and have heard from other people you have to do some sort of cross training and it will help you out biking.
So i geuus i don't need the spin classes now and that's ok. But i like the idea of being able to bike for an hour than run without having to go outside. :p
Another thing i like about it is that the atmasphere at this place makes you want to run and stuff.
When should i start spin classes? Base 2 or 3 or should i wait till Build starts i will most likely be doing some road races in Build 2.

Ow and i don't mean i'm going to the world champs next year that is crasy but maybe when i'm in my last year of Junoir and thats like 2 years from now.

Anyways i have a free day pass so i'll try everything out but the spin classes i won't do them yet cause i believe you that they will mess my base up.

I want to get some rollers maybe for christmas than i could use them on my rest day or something.

I don't think i should worry about long endurance stuff so much seeing that my races are only about 25km long and take about 1h 15min to finish the longest race i did last year took me 3h 22min to finish and i came in secong 2 min from first.
well you do what you want to it's your training and only you can do it. ppl like me can only make recomendations on what all you should be doin b/c i was once in that place. and yes you do need those long endurance races, even if you races are that short, having that endurance will make those short races that much easier and will benefit you later on down the road. and i wasn't tryin to be mean by that but dude it's reallllllly hard to make it to worlds, to even qualify for worlds is tough. cuz trust me my goals 2-3 years ago was to qualify for worlds and i came NO where close. i would focus more on jsut being a solid junior racer and being able to make the transition from junior's to senior as easy as possible. and cross training helps out, but i'm talking mroe about weights, but here's my theory....if you want to become a faster n stronger bike riding why run, when you can spend time on your bike improving what you want to improve. it would be like me saying, oh i want to be a better musician but i think i'll play video games to help make my fingers more nibble, when i could be playing my instruments to improve. kinda see what i'm sayin?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya but you live in Georgia and you can ride outside more than me i won't be able to ride outside for about 5 months now and it sucks i can't do 3 hour endurance rides on a trainer so i figure it's either very little endurance riding or alot of endurance from running spinning and other cross training things.
Right now i'm really pissed cause i went to Physical park got my 3 hours done my knee hurts like a biatch and when i was going to join they said oh well you have to be 16 and thats not for another 5 months but the lady at the desk is a friend of myne sister and she'll talk to the manager along with my LBS owner since he's friend with the manager. She said she'd get back to me on wedensday so i'm not going to do anything till than and i'll let my knee heal.:angry:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Ya but you live in Georgia and you can ride outside more than me i won't be able to ride outside for about 5 months now and it sucks i can't do 3 hour endurance rides on a trainer so i figure it's either very little endurance riding or alot of endurance from running spinning and other cross training things.
Right now i'm really pissed cause i went to Physical park got my 3 hours done my knee hurts like a biatch and when i was going to join they said oh well you have to be 16 and thats not for another 5 months but the lady at the desk is a friend of myne sister and she'll talk to the manager along with my LBS owner since he's friend with the manager. She said she'd get back to me on wedensday so i'm not going to do anything till than and i'll let my knee heal.:angry:
you lost your mind if you think it doesn't get cold down here!!! now in south ga, it stays decent most of the year. there are times when it gets cold down there. but florida is really the only place in the south that stays warm year round. but i'm not kidding when i say you need to chill out untill you figure out what's up w/ your knee!!! or else your season may end before it even starts......

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I'm going to let my knee rest for awhile if it doesn't get better i'll go see a doc.
And dude what do you consider cold? Even if it does get cold atleast you don't have snow for 6months each year.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I'm going to let my knee rest for awhile if it doesn't get better i'll go see a doc.
And dude what do you consider cold? Even if it does get cold atleast you don't have snow for 6months each year.
anything below 40 to me is cold :D :devil: but seriously it's just a different feel down here....

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya we use Celcius in canada metric it's better but 40F is like 5C i think and to day it was = to 0F thats way to cold to go outside.
I like it when it's about 17C or around 90F thats just about right for me:D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Ya we use Celcius in canada metric it's better but 40F is like 5C i think and to day it was = to 0F thats way to cold to go outside.
I like it when it's about 17C or around 90F thats just about right for me:D
i like it when it's about 100* F w/ 100% humidity. that's when it's just about right for me .

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
WTF 100% humidity is frigin water so you like sitting in boiling water?:confused: You americans really are weird:rolleyes: :monkey:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
WTF 100% humidity is frigin water so you like sitting in boiling water?:confused: You americans really are weird:rolleyes: :monkey:
doesn't have to rain, just makes it really hot.....like a thick moggy feeling that makes it difficult to breath. :devil: