Quantcast

Enduro forks - digging through fecal matter

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
This is the kind of crown that's needed to make a single-crown inverted work IMO...but then, you could have a cheaper lighter stronger stiffer non-inverted version too. And history repeats itself.
150mm crown for 80mm of travel.

Should go nicely on that new 75mm Specialiber.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That has been an extremely successful product for us. What is/was your setup? Also, did you work with or support team on getting tuned?

Darren
It's in a Zeb Ultimate. It's a drop-in product. I've been trying to get it to work better, but my Lyrik with Avy cart is just so much better at absorbing chunk and staying stable. The HC97 really pounded me in AZ. I haven't started back up on the summer bikes yet, but I was hoping to be impressed by the HC97 like I was with the Avy cart. I can probably dig up some stuff on this site with my trials.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That has been an extremely successful product for us. What is/was your setup? Also, did you work with or support team on getting tuned?

Darren
Here we go:

(quote removed for full posts) Jm_ said:
Push HC97, wtf? Seems you can dial in a ton of harshness, or maybe what others call “support”, but seems pretty miserable at bump absorption, which im not totally surprised by, given it appears to be a cartridge emulator design. Either that or its only designed for flow trails with 60 foot jumps and not chunky…

SkullCrack said:

This has been my experience with the HC97 as well. It just beats the shit out of my hands.

In addition to the compression/rebound adjustments, I've played with air pressure, had the bushings sized, and serviced the fork again. None of which made any improvement in how poorly the fork dealt with bumpy/chunky terrain.

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Here we go:

Push HC97, wtf? Seems you can dial in a ton of harshness, or maybe what others call “support”, but seems pretty miserable at bump absorption, which im not totally surprised by, given it appears to be a cartridge emulator design. Either that or its only designed for flow trails with 60 foot jumps and not chunky…

SkullCrack said:

This has been my experience with the HC97 as well. It just beats the shit out of my hands.

In addition to the compression/rebound adjustments, I've played with air pressure, had the bushings sized, and serviced the fork again. None of which made any improvement in how poorly the fork dealt with bumpy/chunky terrain.
Yeah, I understood you didn't get along with it. My question was what was your setup and did you work with our support team to make changes?

Darren

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I understood you didn't get along with it. My question was what was your setup and did you work with our support team to make changes?

Darren
What can you change on the poppet valve?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I'll start putting a crew together for a bank heist if that PUSH fork has a shim stack damper that is easily serviceable & tunable and a crown/tube interface that is not pressed together.

Lots of potential there, can't wait for the details.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Here we go:

SkullCrack said:

It's a poppet design, that is a characteristic of a poppet........

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Port volume, spring rate, bleed, lift.....

Anyway, I'm not sure why you don't want to share your setup. It's fine. I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

Darren
What do you mean share your setup...It's YOUR setup!?? This didn't come with a bunch of different parts and instructions or anything for different tune. And I bought it hoping it was install and be done, not re-build cartridge a bunch of times. I don't understand the "what is your setup" question. I've been through a lot of LSC, a little LSC, a lot of HSC, a little HSC.

Also, did you literally just describe a poppet valve damper?

Last edited:

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
What do you mean share your setup...It's YOUR setup!?? This didn't come with a bunch of different parts and instructions or anything for different tune. And I bought it hoping it was install and be done, not re-build cartridge a bunch of times. I don't understand the "what is your setup" question. I've been through a lot of LSC, a little LSC, a lot of HSC, a little HSC.

Also, did you literally just describe a poppet valve damper?
Your setup would be the following items....

Rider Weight:
Riding Style:
Fork Model:
Fork Travel:
Air Pressure(or coil rate):
Volume Spacers(if applicable):
Oil Viscosity in damper:
LSC:
HSC:
Reb:

Maybe the poppet valve is a terminology thing.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
This reminds me of a time I was riding with some dude that has flamed Push about the shock not being worth it (both in person and online). He said it was harsh, didn't have great support, bottomed easily, etc.

I said, that's odd, my experience is the opposite. I've ridden tons of options, tried all kinds of different setups, and the ElevenSix just works better than anything else I've ridden.

Most of the way up the climb, when we stopped to take a break, I asked to throw a leg over his bike. His ElevenSix setup was:
- Probably at least 10mm of spring preload
- Rebound damping almost closed
- LSC closed
- HSC fully open

The shock isn't the problem, dude. I set it back to something reasonable (1 turn preload, set the rebound to feel reasonable, both compression settings to the middle) and he was blown away at how much better it was.

That might be why Darren was asking about your setup, Jm.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This reminds me of a time I was riding with some dude that has flamed Push about the shock not being worth it (both in person and online). He said it was harsh, didn't have great support, bottomed easily, etc.

I said, that's odd, my experience is the opposite. I've ridden tons of options, tried all kinds of different setups, and the ElevenSix just works better than anything else I've ridden.

Most of the way up the climb, when we stopped to take a break, I asked to throw a leg over his bike. His ElevenSix setup was:
- Probably at least 10mm of spring preload
- Rebound damping almost closed
- LSC closed
- HSC fully open

The shock isn't the problem, dude. I set it back to something reasonable (1 turn preload, set the rebound to feel reasonable, both compression settings to the middle) and he was blown away at how much better it was.

That might be why Darren was asking about your setup, Jm.
But I've tried all the settings, so I don't understand the question. The setting it was on last? The first setting? Some of the in-betweens? It's supposed to be install and set up and ride, yes, a little going through settings to find what works best...but I rode it in AZ chunk and others for days and never found one that worked. In fact...I daresay it's worse than what it replaced. I'm 170lbs and the fork is 170mm. Oil is as recommended. There's either one or none spacers and a secus on the Zeb.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If anybody is interested, a 160mm, 29" Lyric with Avy cartridge and Smashpot ready to ride weighs 6.0lb / 2.72kg.
I have my avy acs3 lyric mounted up now, but I should weigh my secus hc97 zeb, as it is off.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
True story: I just went to my kid's singing thingy. Some may call it a choir concert. The 4th graders sang a song to honor Colorado. In it they sang about Zebulon Pike. I was like seriously?! So he's the guy that Rockshox/SRAM named a Pike and Zeb fork after. (And Pike's Peak, which does have decent mountain biking and that crazy uphill car race) And my kid's school sang a song about it. LOL!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
But I've tried all the settings, so I don't understand the question. The setting it was on last? The first setting? Some of the in-betweens? It's supposed to be install and set up and ride, yes, a little going through settings to find what works best...but I rode it in AZ chunk and others for days and never found one that worked. In fact...I daresay it's worse than what it replaced. I'm 170lbs and the fork is 170mm. Oil is as recommended. There's either one or none spacers and a secus on the Zeb.
Just spitballing here but a harsh repetitive hits being a problem. Are you sure your air spring is fine? I know newer air springs for RS are no longer supposed to have that problem but it's what ruined my old Boxxer Avy performance as their old springs had an issue where over a certain pressure there was a weird preload happening on them. Well that or maybe a you were unlucky and had an issue that should be warrantied? This also happens, even to the best companies. Not saying you didn't try it all but it's worth making sure why a fairly universally praised product is not performing for you.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just spitballing here but a harsh repetitive hits being a problem. Are you sure your air spring is fine? I know newer air springs for RS are no longer supposed to have that problem but it's what ruined my old Boxxer Avy performance as their old springs had an issue where over a certain pressure there was a weird preload happening on them. Well that or maybe a you were unlucky and had an issue that should be warrantied? This also happens, even to the best companies. Not saying you didn't try it all but it's worth making sure why a fairly universally praised product is not performing for you.
It's a Secus, noticeably improved the fork while I still had the full charger unit in it. Very linear till bottom-out area with a nice ramp there. It's about as close to coil on an air spring as I've gotten.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's a Secus, noticeably improved the fork while I still had the full charger unit in it. Very linear till bottom-out area with a nice ramp there. It's about as close to coil on an air spring as I've gotten.
So maybe a weird issue that needs to be warrantied on the damper?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
How good/bad is the old 26" Lyrik?

I saw this on the local Craigslist with very little info: 26" 170mm and 20mm axel.
The sticker says Mission Control DH but the dial doesn't look like it: the top silver knob is missing...
446499.jpg

Something else I should be worried about ?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How good/bad is the old 26" Lyrik?

I saw this on the local Craigslist with very little info: 26" 170mm and 20mm axel.
The sticker says Mission Control DH but the dial doesn't look like it: the top silver knob is missing...
View attachment 194202

Something else I should be worried about ?
if its functional and the price is right..... why not? its got a proper axle at least.