Quantcast

Enduro forks - digging through fecal matter

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I still have a 26" 170mm Mission Control DH Coil. It holds its own against the new stuff.
I also have a 27.5 with the appropriate 20mm, but wearing an Assegai.
If anybody is interested I will see if it will fit.
I know the last gen 66 /888 will clear an Assegai.
Kinda have my doubts about the Lyrik.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Is the Charger 3 damper any good or worse than the 2.1?

Toying with just getting a new fork for the Mega since mine sounds horrific and is out of warranty. For $30 more than the cost of the CSU on its own I can get a new whole new fork. The Charger 3 is a bit more expensive than the Charger 2.1 option - is it worth it?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Toying with just getting a new fork for the Mega since mine sounds horrific and is out of warranty. For $30 more than the cost of the CSU on its own I can get a new whole new fork. The Charger 3 is a bit more expensive than the Charger 2.1 option - is it worth it?
Dougal from Shockcraft in NZ always maintains the 2.1 is betterer over on EmptyBeer.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope

Charger 3 has way MOAR compression damping than the 2.1. That could be good or bad depending on your situation. I think a few companies are already making a piston for it that is not dished so you aren't forced into a preloaded shim stack situation.

The other big change is the air spring has more negative volume, it is basically a copy of Vorsprung's Luftkappe setup.

The new damper does use a self filling/purging spring backed IFP setup like the Fox Grip instead of a bladder. This is a good thing.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

The Charger 3 models also come with the newer air spring which has a lot more midstroke support. Less dive-y than the 2.1.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The Charger 3 models also come with the newer air spring which has a lot more midstroke support. Less dive-y than the 2.1.
I've already tried the new air spring. It's an improvement over the OG A1 Zeb spring, but I like the Luftkappe one better than the new Debonaire thingy. The only real new things would be whatever they claim to have done with the bushings, the Charger 3 damper and the super important patent infringing pressure relief buttons.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I've already tried the new air spring. It's an improvement over the OG A1 Zeb spring, but I like the Luftkappe one better than the new Debonaire thingy. The only real new things would be whatever they claim to have done with the bushings, the Charger 3 damper and the super important patent infringing pressure relief buttons.
Have you asked @bullcrew? I hear he knows a guy...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The new damper does use a self filling/purging spring backed IFP setup like the Fox Grip instead of a bladder. This is a good thing.
This is a good thing, apparently assembly doesn't know to lube and hold the bladder stationary when tightening down ..they get a hard twist then have 3-4 equal cracks from twisting and untwisting..

Rockshox doesn't sell the $2 bladder they replace the whole damper...
Then if it's backordered you have to improvise...I used shoe goo on a guys he rode for 2 months whistler and down here till the cart finally came..

Shoe goo held on but became somewhat gooey from the additives in oil and wouldnt have lasted much longer...but my guy got his rides, didn't miss a beat and made it to the end with a replacement.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/