Quantcast

Enduro forks - digging through fecal matter

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
behind you, don't wait up.
bump!

Ok so I've had a couple rides on an Ohlins TTX2 air shock on my trail bike and it's the goods. I have a TTX coil on my DH bike too. Anyway coming off of a 11.6 for the past few years I expected to be underwhelmed with this test shock, but it's so good I kept it. SO! now I'm thinking about trying an Ohlins RXF 36 fork. Anyone here have time on them, on the TTX damper, or any general hype for me to consider?
@buckoW you have Ohlins on all your bikes. Tell me everything.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
bump!

Ok so I've had a couple rides on an Ohlins TTX2 air shock on my trail bike and it's the goods. I have a TTX coil on my DH bike too. Anyway coming off of a 11.6 for the past few years I expected to be underwhelmed with this test shock, but it's so good I kept it. SO! now I'm thinking about trying an Ohlins RXF 36 fork. Anyone here have time on them, on the TTX damper, or any general hype for me to consider?
@buckoW you have Ohlins on all your bikes. Tell me everything.
IIRC @CrabJoe StretchPants rides with a full retardOhlins kit.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Fork is similar to the shock, they come with quite a bit of support from the damper. I have the dual crown on the big bike and dig it. Feels crappy in the parking lot (harsh/unresponsive), but works really well and is super plush when riding. I got a ton of time on it this summer and it did not disappoint.

Triple chamber air spring works as advertised, makes it very adjustable. Much like a DSD RUNT.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
He did tell me the air spring side of his fork is just filled with NFTs, so it doesn't really do anything, but it is fun to talk about what they could theoretically do. Saves a fair bit of weight that way.

But for reals, he loves it and from what little time I've spent on it, it seems quite similar to my Manitou Mezzer in that its pretty sensitive off the top and has great mid-stroke support - but maybe a little less fiddly to get dialed in compared the Mezzer. I think @HAB has some time on one as well.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Fork is similar to the shock, they come with quite a bit of support from the damper. I have the dual crown on the big bike and dig it. Feels crappy in the parking lot (harsh/unresponsive), but works really well and is super plush when riding. I got a ton of time on it this summer and it did not disappoint.

Triple chamber air spring works as advertised, makes it very adjustable. Much like a DSD RUNT.
This pretty much sums up how I feel about them. Firmer than the other brands on the compression side but feels real nice when riding.

I like the support for the trails I ride. It is a bit much if I am going slow or hungover. I haven’t ridden a 36 in a while but I like the 38 in sc and dc.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
@buckoW who to talk to in switzerland about a custom length (210x60) ttx? i know they exist in italy, lots of orbeas there with one.
If it doesn't have to be swiss you can write BFG susp if it's possible to either get one or change the length of the one you buy. I know the owner and he is super knowlegable and I know he helped some people with "length issues"

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
As @jackalope suggested, despite my many deficiencies as a rider and a human being, my RXF 36 (set at 170mm on a Gnarvana) has been fantastic. I've not ridden new fox or RS stuff but for me (200 pounds and willing to smash) its the best combination of light off the top, support and tunability I've found. I think the most distinguishing characteristic is that when ridden hard it really shines in terms of composure. Easy to work on as well. I got my fork before the 38 came out so would love to compare those two someday.

In general I'm a big Ohlins fan during the last 2-3 years. Got a TTX coil I love and a TTX air on another bike--both are my favorite coil/air shocks ever (including an 11-6 ).

I've got a Mezzer on order for another bike which seems like it offers substantially similar performance (similar air spring lay out too) for much less money. @jackalope's fork feels great which is why I got one.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Re. Ohlins forks. I only had a short time on my Ohlins before I decided to cosplay as a scared ostrich but generally I've been very happy. A non sticky air spring, tuneable (but not a fork that feels shit unless you absolutely nail it) and good amount of damping so you don't land on your face if you corner a steep berm too hard. Was testing quite a few bikes before this and the higher end RS and Fox stuff had better parking lot/easy trail feel but imho were less composed. Though rentals and friends bikes so not enough time to set them up properly. My only issue is I probably need to get mine a bit less progressive.

Last edited: