Quantcast

Enduro forks - digging through fecal matter

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If we want to rip on RS though - it's hilarious that their original "upgrade" charger damper took the HSC adjuster away from everyone because it was better for them, and their "new upgrade" damper puts the HSC adjuster back because now that's better for them. What's even better is that it only has 5-clicks, so when they finally decide to give it proper range/granularity like Fox's HSC adjuster in the RC2 (the entire damper which they made an inferior copy of), it'll be their third opportunity to milk money from enduro plebs on the same product.

I think the Lyrik is a nice enough fork but I think it really needed to be pointed out that they could have done all this in the first place when they copied that damper.

If you ever really needed verification of how RS operates now, listen to these.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTBs-The-Inside-Line-Podcast-Episode-10-Elayna-Caldwell-Brand-Director-of-MTB-at-SRAM,1774

http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTBs-The-Inside-Line-Podcast-Episode-12-Chris-Hilton-Product-Manager-for-MTB-Drivetrain-at-SRA,1840

There's a Duncan riffle one in there too but I only made it about 20 minutes before having a seizure.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Then there's MST suspension, which has tuning kits for Charger cartridges aswell as a complete cartridge for the Yari and the Boxxer. The kits start at around 150€.
http://www.m-suspensiontech.com/

Teh germans seem to swear by their stuff.
I am tempted to try it out sooner or later.
Do @Sandro or @Flo33 experience with these tuning gadgets?
What @Sandro said. Mario Janeiro, the man behind MST, is a long time ibc forum member. He was contributing a lot and did small hacks, upgrades and stuff. Demand rose and he founded his company. The other forum guys usually raved about his stuff, rating it superior to anything on the market, even before his company founding. He has a strong following crowd there.

My last RS product was a Boxxer team that came with my 2006 Glory. Since than it has only been Fox, so no idea how his RS stuff works.
What I have first hand experience on is a PUSH piston in an RP2, done by Tftuned and the Corset from Vorsprung. Both worth the cents.
Another custom tuning I purchased was a PUSH upgrade for my 2006 36 TALAS RC2. But that has only been a weaker preset spring on the high speed compression damping. This fork had other flaws, mainly the TALAS spring.

At the moment I'm riding a 36 Vanilla RC2 26" with the inverted cartridge. But I have a recently purchased 2015/16 36 TALAS RC2 650b waiting for the shitty weather to get the fuck out of here. Somebody on this very forum is telling everyone how good that fork is, and I hope he is damn right.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
"I just tried Crank Brothers pedals for the first time, and now they're on all my bikes"

:nope:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I had to stop, I figured that punching a hole through my computer monitor at would would not be great for my hand, and possibly also my continued employment.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Gosh. Those Avalanche carts for the Yari are $$. $450 usd for the one I just looked up on their site.

I bought my whole fork for $400 usd. I will soldier on.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Gosh. Those Avalanche carts for the Yari are $$. $450 usd for the one I just looked up on their site.

They're pricey but if you don't plan on changing forks any time soon, it may be worth it!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

So $850 for something that will outperform a $1000 lyrik...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I was just at the LBS and saw a Fox 36 (not sure version but had orange lowers...if that means anything). It was listed at 1550 CDN or so! That's a lot of cash for a fork with a faulty air spring. That's roughly 1200 Trump dollars.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm struggling by with a *gasp* Marzocchi 350CR. I bought it in haste to build up my Nomad and it does the job nicely. It doesn't creak, either.

I was looking this thread over and like the idea of the Yari-valanche. I can't imagine I could justify the dough, though. My $400 fork was a screamin' deal.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Didn't see this mentioned on the monkey yet: DVO Onyx, which is pretty much a Diamond with 36mm stanchions and pressure release valves

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I talked to the guy I sold my DVO Diamond to a few weeks ago. He sent it in to get the travel changed and they called him back a little while later to tell him they broke it when they were trying to remove the loctited part you gave to get off. I lol-ed because there was this big mtbr thread where they claimed you didn’t need any special tools to service the fork and it’s a breeze. They made it right, but still humorous.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
4D8AD32D-AC24-4278-966A-4080709E340D.jpeg
A real man would use an angle grinder and make the holes in the fork fit a 20mm axle.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
a Pike w/Charger damper and Push coil kit and I'm as stoked on a fork as I've ever been.

now if it would stop raining ...

edit: "enduro fork"

Last edited:

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
a Pike w/Charger damper and Push coil kit and I'm as stoked on a fork as I've ever been.

That’s how I feel aboot my 36 RC2 now that I’ve Push coiled it.

I’m in the 200lb+ club and I could never get the air spring to work for me. Coil has solved my problems and now the RC2 actually works!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

I can say this is by far the best traction and best feeling fork I've had on a trail bike in a loooong time.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
I just got all the Vorsprung goodies for my 36 and rear shock last week . Installed the Corset already and have several rides on it . $$$ well spent IMO . I hope to get the fork done in the next week or two .

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just got all the Vorsprung goodies for my 36 and rear shock last week . Installed the Corset already and have several rides on it . $$$ well spent IMO . I hope to get the fork done in the next week or two .
Ricer fork?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
:stupid:
Even though it's only been one ride, I was astounded by the traction on the front wheel on Saturday (Pike w Luftkappe, Magic Mary). It was almost oversteering, to the point I was pitching over the front a few times when I angled the bike even a bit on flatter terrain. Maybe it's because I've been riding a fatty all winter, and have gotten used to pretty severe understeer from the front, but I think the fork and new air spring have a large role to play. I also think it is more consistently grippy when turning through rocks and roots.

There wasn't too much highspeed sections on what I rode this weekend, so I'll have to wait and see how it does there. But for now, I'm comforable saying the increased grip from the fork is pretty noticeable already.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It was almost oversteering, to the point I was pitching over the front a few times when I angled the bike even a bit on flatter terrain.
I ran into this when I put the Wild Rock'R2 on my old Reign - my first ride was at Buff Creek which is bullshit crushed granite pea-gravel conditions, mainly. I kept oversteering in corners because the traction was so much better than whatever old shitty tire I had on it (Hans Dampf, maybe?).

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
:stupid:
Even though it's only been one ride, I was astounded by the traction on the front wheel on Saturday (Pike w Luftkappe, Magic Mary). It was almost oversteering, to the point I was pitching over the front a few times when I angled the bike even a bit on flatter terrain. Maybe it's because I've been riding a fatty all winter, and have gotten used to pretty severe understeer from the front, but I think the fork and new air spring have a large role to play. I also think it is more consistently grippy when turning through rocks and roots.

There wasn't too much highspeed sections on what I rode this weekend, so I'll have to wait and see how it does there. But for now, I'm comforable saying the increased grip from the fork is pretty noticeable already.
I ran into this when I put the Wild Rock'R2 on my old Reign - my first ride was at Buff Creek which is bullshit crushed granite pea-gravel conditions, mainly. I kept oversteering in corners because the traction was so much better than whatever old shitty tire I had on it (Hans Dampf, maybe?).
I should probably clarify that the only new element on the front end was the Luftkappe. The fork and tire were the same. I suppose time off the bike (and on another) also played a role.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I'm hijacking this thread for my own purposes since I'm on the market for a new fork as well. Both the MRP Ribbon and Formula Thirty-Five became my top picks due to the reviews I have read, price and features available. I was ready to pull the trigger on the 35 but read some reviews about parts being hard to come by. This was validated after I talked to a couple of shops that carry them and was told that they have a hard time getting parts from Formula and they can only get what BTI carries. After looking at BTI and seeing I can't get either of the CTS cartridges I'd like I decided to take this out of the mix.

The Ribbon is boost only. My front wheels are non-boost. MRP's site hasn't been updated to reflect this yet but the Stage guts are identical to the Ribbon guts. The only difference between the two forks are: Stage has slightly lower A2C, traditional brake arch, and is non-boost. According to MRP they weigh the exact same and price is the same.

I like the idea of getting the Ribbon to future proof my bike but I am a little skeptical of running the adaptors. MRP doesn't make a set for Mavic yet and I haven't been able to find any from Mavic so I need either of these:

http://www.velofuze.com/boost-hub-adapters/velofuze-boost-hub-conversion-15mm-x-100mm-to-110mm-boost/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-aeUwaif2wIVT7nACh2XfAroEAQYAiABEgK8R_D_BwE

https://problemsolversbike.com/products/brakes/booster_-_k5143

If I go this route I'd get the Problem Solvers since I have had good luck w/them in the past. My concerns are the possibility of losing a small part while changing a flat out on the trail and then being totally fuct, or the tolerances not being just right and either having some slop or having some issues installing. All things being equal I'd take the Ribbon over the Stage. Anyone have any experience or issues I should be aware of? Is there a risk to running the adaptors?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
If I go this route I'd get the Problem Solvers since I have had good luck w/them in the past. My concerns are the possibility of losing a small part while changing a flat out on the trail and then being totally fuct, or the tolerances not being just right and either having some slop or having some issues installing. All things being equal I'd take the Ribbon over the Stage. Anyone have any experience or issues I should be aware of? Is there a risk to running the adaptors?
I ran a similar sort of adapter (non-hub specific) on the rear for awhile before the Boostinator adapters for Hope came out. Never lost a part, didn't have any slop issues. Obviously hub-specific is better, but the adapters can get you through until you rebuild the wheel on a boost hub.