Quantcast

Enduro forks - digging through fecal matter

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Were these air assisted spring forks?
The ext is full air and the air spring could be used alone. The spring is just there to add sensitivity.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
It appears to have a std shim stack and a high speed loader using.... another shim stack which is interesting, I actually had an idea to try something like that

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I can't recall it, that why I was asking. I recall the air/coil elements in series. It was a prototype DH fork, but I can't find anything on it.
I don't think this is what you're referring to, but the last gen Zoch 66 RC2X had coil springs in both legs and air assist for both sides as well. Having ridden one recently for a gag, it was pretty startling, as it actually rode like a boss - too bad it weighs more than a Mosler safe.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Considering all new top offerings on the market and how much value their solutions nowadays bring to the table, I am seriously considering buying a low end fork (Yari) and buy some aftermarket goodness for both legs.
That way I have a solid chassis, custom tuned damping and can decide which spring (coil, because :monkey:) characteristics I want.
Has someone in here expirience with the YARI cartrdige from MST?

Otherwise going full dentist and buying an EXT or the new Öhlins offerings might do the trick aye?

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
FWIW the new Ohlins M.2 fork is really good. Liking it equivalently or even a little more than my Avy Lyrik.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Considering all new top offerings on the market and how much value their solutions nowadays bring to the table, I am seriously considering buying a low end fork (Yari) and buy some afterwork goodness for both legs.
That way I have a solid chassis, custom tuned damping and can decide which spring (coil, because :monkey:) characteristics I want.

Otherwise going full dentist and buying an EXT or the new Öhlins offerings might do the trick aye?
I have a yari with an Avy cartridge and Push coil kit, I love this fork. Today I'd get the hybrid coil/ air from Avalanche. A takeoff Yari is about 400.00 and the Avalanche damper/coil is 500.00. This can be done with a Bomber or fox 36 as well.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
No experience from MST.
My trail bike has a Yari with a Luftkappe and the red bearing assy that lowers the friction. On the damper side, there is a Splug from Novyparts, it replaces the Moco block straight away with a piston with real shims and a needle for the LSC. It keeps the original rebound.
I had a Yarilanche on my enduro bike with a Debonair B1 air spring. Compared to my trail bike you can feel that the Ava cartridge offers way less friction than the original rebound bearing assy.
I have no idea how much MST has worked on the friction but a close cartridge will always require tighter seals than an open one.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
That's why I still have mine, with the last gen RC2 damper in it.
That's interesting! I have a 2009 36 RC2 with the non inverted cartridge that tend to suck up oil in the bladder. I wonder if a newer cartridge would fit?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Considering all new top offerings on the market and how much value their solutions nowadays bring to the table, I am seriously considering buying a low end fork (Yari) and buy some afterwork goodness for both legs.

I would go custom. Best trailbike fork I have ever ridden bar none.
Trolled PB buy and sell for a new take-off special then started building.

No idea on the MST - sorry, but for what it is worth....

Yari with an Avy cartridge.
B1 Airspring with a RUNT.
(far better than stock but I'm still not an air guy so...)
Smashpot is on order.

However Vorsprung is cooking up something new.
Received an e-mail last week regarding the smashpot availability (they are working thorough backorders)

Quote...
"...Sorry if this has caused any inconvenience. The reason behind the delay is that we are manufacturing a new product which could be of interest to you. It is due for launch next week so best keep your eye out.

I would recommend you hold onto your order / place in the meantime, or exchange it for the new product if it is to your liking. Otherwise if you'd like a full refund, I am more than happy to put that through for you too.

Thanks again for your patience."
/quote

Speculation?

Hybid air / coil system is stuck rattling around as a thought...

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
That's interesting! I have a 2009 36 RC2 with the non inverted cartridge that tend to suck up oil in the bladder. I wonder if a newer cartridge would fit?
There was a kit that fit in the old rebound on top chassis. I got two of them.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
A reason I want to try an Ohlins fork is the spring can be swapped back a forth from coil to air without damage. The other reason is my ttx22m has been great!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Code should be 820-08-128-KIT for the 2011-2014 gen cart, didn't find the last 2015+ one...
Pics when I'm back home. I'm on vacation right now.
In the meantime I will consider the possibility of transforming my actual close cartridge to an open one

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@FarkinRyan
Do you have some inside pictures for the monkeys?

My guess after several beers is that there is an ifp inside that tube with a mean to equalise the pressure when the fork is not loaded. Then a needle or something similar close the extra volume once the pressure in the negative chamber drops to a certain level (corresponding to somewhere between 20 and 40 mm of travel) from that on the air spring runs on a smal negative chamber.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
@FarkinRyan
Do you have some inside pictures for the monkeys?

My guess after several beers is that there is an ifp inside that tube with a mean to equalise the pressure when the fork is not loaded. Then a needle or something similar close the extra volume once the pressure in the negative chamber drops to a certain level (corresponding to somewhere between 20 and 40 mm of travel) from that on the air spring runs on a smal negative chamber.
So you're talking about Trek's DRCV system, but the negative chamber, right? I thought the same.

drcv-cutaway-600x378.png

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I don't actually work there any longer, moved up to Pemberton and found a job here. If you pick through the installation manual there's a bit more you can figure out about what's going on inside and I'm sure Steve will be happy to discuss as much about exactly how it works as he can. It certainly isn't just a subtle improvement over a standard air spring or even over a Luftkappe though.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I've been riding a Smashpot for about a year now and installed the air spring out of curiosity a few days ago - perfect seal, no visible damage inside the stanchion.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So from the foot stud, it sure looks like one of the ports is connected to the negative chamber, and the other goes to the bottom of the lowers, outside of the air spring entirely. Sounds like the idea is to use the canister to increase the volume of both the negative chamber and free air in the lowers, with an IFP to potentially further increase the lower volume while slowing the drop in volume in the negative spring as the fork cycles?

I haven't thought about it hard enough to come up with a theory for the equalization button on the bottom of the unit though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So from the foot stud, it sure looks like one of the ports is connected to the negative chamber, and the other goes to the bottom of the lowers, outside of the air spring entirely. Sounds like the idea is to use the canister to increase the volume of both the negative chamber and free air in the lowers, with an IFP to potentially further increase the lower volume while slowing the drop in volume in the negative spring as the fork cycles?

I haven't thought about it hard enough to come up with a theory for the equalization button on the bottom of the unit though.
Normalize pressure in the lower volume?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Normalize pressure in the lower volume?
It's somehow tied to the negative chamber though, since the instructions say you need to hold the button down while letting air out of the fork for disassembly. And I can't imagine the idea is to pressurize the lowers on purpose.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The aftermarket fork add-on market is going crazy though. One thing is buying a take-off Yari and add whatever spring/damper you like to end up with a similar cost to a higher end fork, but putting this stuff in a brand new 38 or a top-end 36 is surely beyond dentist stupid.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I've been riding a Smashpot for about a year now and installed the air spring out of curiosity a few days ago - perfect seal, no visible damage inside the stanchion.
Shouldn't work but you're not the first person to report that either! Always cool to hear that people have been able to go back though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The aftermarket fork add-on market is going crazy though. One thing is buying a take-off Yari and add whatever spring/damper you like to end up with a similar cost to a higher end fork, but putting this stuff in a brand new 38 or a top-end 36 is surely beyond dentist stupid.
Yeah, but those 38s and 36s are probably still shitty

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Wag

If this thing is a giant negative chamber with a little valve that shuts it off as outer chamber pressure reaches a specified value indicating a certain travel.

So huge negative until 40mm travel then standard negative.