Quantcast

Enduro Seals

Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id17.html

Anybody install a set of these on a Fox Vanilla 125 RLC? I had sometime over the weekend and finally got around to overhauling my fork after 4 years (i know, i'm bad). After following instructions and getting everything together I went for a ride and found that the buttery smooth initial and mid travel of the fork was gone. Instead I was left with what felt like a overpriced rockshox judy. All in all, I was pretty disappointed with the results.

Now I can attribute this to a couple of things, with you fellow monkeys having more experience than me with fork overhauls, I'd like your advice...

1) Maybe the enduro seals have a break in period?

2) Even though I drained the dampening leg completely, might be possible that there was some still left? So on top of adding in a fresh batch of oil in that leg could result in too much oil resulting in the stiction feeling?

3) Any other thoughts?

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
People have been telling about the 'break-in' period on my enduro seals for several months. They're still pretty sticky. They look like a quality product, and I'm hopeful that they will *actually* break-in soon. If they don't, though, I'll be installing a set of stock seals. I'm also curious what other input folks have here.

Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I just talked with Chris from Enduro and he said that the oil seals (next set of seals below the blue dust seals) is suppose to be packed with super slick grease. And he did confirm that there IS a break in period. Also, making sure ALL of the old oil being drained from the dampener being is very important.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Never used the Enduros on my Fox, but did install a set of them on my RS Recon. Followed the pictorial directions on their site and had no problems with stiction, and the fork felt buttery smooth from day one of the seal installation.

I also use the stanchion lube that they recommend on their site (on all of my forks), and its works great. Link: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id79.html

cowman

Monkey
Oct 17, 2004
Seattle, WA
I've known a couple people who have used them on a couple different forks and great results. One friend used them on his boxxer world cup (doubled the time between rebuilds) and they felt great. Another friend used them on his old marzocchi shiver and they didn't leak once in about a year and a half. Possibly try disassembling your fork again and try to lube the lower, non exposed seal and also make sure all the old oil was drained. A fork without proper oil heights etc. can end up feeling like crap as you mentioned.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Some of the issues could be related to lubrication. Forks like the fox talas and 40 don't use much lubrication oil, so the stanchions may not be seeing as much oil as with something like a vanilla. Other forks like my marzocchi 66, ZAM1, and Monster T responded pretty well to enduro seals. Another problem is the lack of a real oil seal (held in by a circlip) on the fox seals, so the enduro seals may be trying to make up for this and keep it "sealed". The enduro seals last about as long as the marzocchi seals for me, which is usually a few seasons. They are slightly cheaper.

Try some stanchion lube.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id17.html

Anybody install a set of these on a Fox Vanilla 125 RLC? I had sometime over the weekend and finally got around to overhauling my fork after 4 years (i know, i'm bad). After following instructions and getting everything together I went for a ride and found that the buttery smooth initial and mid travel of the fork was gone. Instead I was left with what felt like a overpriced rockshox judy. All in all, I was pretty disappointed with the results.

Now I can attribute this to a couple of things, with you fellow monkeys having more experience than me with fork overhauls, I'd like your advice...

1) Maybe the enduro seals have a break in period?

2) Even though I drained the dampening leg completely, might be possible that there was some still left? So on top of adding in a fresh batch of oil in that leg could result in too much oil resulting in the stiction feeling?

3) Any other thoughts?
Quick question, did you saturate the foam ring with fork oil before installing it? I noticed that it doesnt mention doing this in the Enduro directions, and I would highly recommend doing so.

Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I don't recall reading that either in the instructions, did you try it? I could see how this would cut down on some of the stiction, but ultimately I feel like its the oil seal itself thats causing alot of it.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I don't recall reading that either in the instructions, did you try it? I could see how this would cut down on some of the stiction, but ultimately I feel like its the oil seal itself thats causing alot of it.
Yes, I do this every time I rebuild/service my Fox 40. Fox actually recommends that you store the bike/fork upside-down to keep the dust wipers and foam rings lubricated. That is quoted directly from the Fox help site (http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm). Other than that, I would just check the oil volume as you already mentioned. I always completely clean the insides of the uppers and lowers before reassembling my fork, so Im always positive how much oil will be in there.