Quantcast

Enduro thread

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
are some of Ridemonkeys here who ride Enduro? I guess aggressive AM discipline applies here too. You get the idea. Downhiller's trail bike or whatever.

Im discovering excitings trails as Megaavalanche, Mountain of Hell, Trans Provence.. on web.

Im still waiting for a frame and I got to know the delivery time which is close. Im quite excited for a new build :) also new tracks.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Banshee Rune L raw and full BOS suspension (also transfering some dh parts at the moment)

Cool with some racing! Scottland seems have some decent tracks, isnt? what is your enduro bike?

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
ooohhh should be nice when you get it!

Yeah we're pretty spoilt here, there's not that many Enduro race locations yet(due to lack of facilities, parking, etc) but our access laws mean you can ride absolutely anywhere. So you can just pick a mountain and go have fun :)

I've got an Orange Five (with 36s), which is pretty spot on for the riding I usually do

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
An Enduro ride? I thought Enduro was a multi-leg stage race format.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You had to know this would quickly devolve into curmudgeonly griping about semantics.

Yeah yeah, it's true a lot of us "ride" enduro every time we get on a trail bike (which is another gripe-worthy niche term). But enduro racing is actually a specific thing.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
yeah I understand. Enduro sounded cool :) Better than "Aggressive AM riding for Downhillers thread". Maybe it is only Europe thing.

Im not looking forward for slouch xcey riding somewhere up 100 meters hills anyway ;)

I think it appeals me for two reasons: competition and low weight of hardware parts just for competition's sake :p

I already decided share the wheelset/-s between dh and enduro bikes, for example.

Im still wondering what is good way to get light drivetrain. XX1 looks expensive, it 'd be nice to run only bashguard and no guard with specific chainring (similar to XX1) if it ever gets produced ?

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Im still wondering what is good way to get light drivetrain. XX1 looks expensive, it 'd be nice to run only bashguard and no guard with specific chainring (similar to XX1) if it ever gets produced ?
From what I've seen most enduro guys do the opposite - run a single ring with a very light guide and no bashguard.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Like Lg+1 or only upper as XCR?

Nice to have Taco, I think but I need some experience on trails and see if it is needed.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
From what I've seen most enduro guys do the opposite - run a single ring with a very light guide and no bashguard.
Yep, I am not running anything but a xcx with a shimano clutch der. No need.
And I was not being a smart ass earlier. Living around awesome trails and mountains, but not having much lift access, means I have been climbing hills and racing down them forever. Now there is a race format to support my normal rides. Grins.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
1x10 with the xcx and a sram clutch der. also. By far the best set up I've ridden. It forces you to be a little more aggressive so I often find myself making it up hills that people with 2x drivetrains don't make.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
not sure it's PB as much as the enduro pushermen outta europa
Honestly, that long day of the 4 kings was the most fun(suffering) i've had on a bike for a long while, mostly because slackers like me could spin some miles with whippets like you without you being held back in the results. I push Enduro as being the future based solely on this more sociable aspect to it.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I push Enduro as being the future based solely on this more sociable aspect to it.
totally. i've raced xc & dh extensively in the past, and have no interest in revisiting those disciplines (too much pain / not enough fun w/ xc, not enough riding / too much pissing around / too much body damage w/ dh), but enduro is good times all around. lots of fun riding, and great atmosphere. looking forward to doing more.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Honestly, that long day of the 4 kings was the most fun(suffering) i've had on a bike for a long while, mostly because slackers like me could spin some miles with whippets like you without you being held back in the results. I push Enduro as being the future based solely on this more sociable aspect to it.
I don't disagree with you at all, I'm just sick of the enduro hypers trying too hard to 'promote' it...it doesn't need hyping, let alone over-hyping, because you're right, it is what most of us do on most rides.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Enduro riding is what we all do (for the record I have never gone on an Enduro 'ride'). Enduro racing is not.

Longer stages than DH tracks (plus possible flat or uphill sections) with set transition times makes for a testing day out! Also the only reason I've stayed 2x9 is so that I can get spinning back up the hill whilst catching my breath and letting the lactic drain. Was lucky not to get out by the transitions at a UK round last year.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I have been running a Sram 2x10 with a type 2 rear der and no guide with no issues. I am playing with the idea of going 1x10. I am thinking about not even using a top guide has anybody tried this? I have yet to drop a chain on my 2x10 but if i did i could just pedal it back on because of the front der.

also this will be my first time going with a single ring. I am not super powerful and i climb a lot. would a 34t be the right move? my cassette is a 11-36

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
why are you guys even considering riding without a bashguard/taco? i'm on a 1x10 with a 32 in the front. the lg1 taco protecting it is full of scratches and is missing a few chunks of material. i could never ride with out any chainring protection. at least not in the alpes...

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Im going into my 2nd year of "enduro" racing. I love the format and the amount of riding you get in per weekend. Some mountains are better than others but each mountain suits different riders (at least in Oregon) I had a fairly descent 1st season of "enduro" racing on brand new terrain, bike and lifestyle (#vanlife) I wouldnt trade it for a thing. Made some really awesome friends and have progressed immensely! Can not wait to travel back up to the PNW this spring to get in some epic mountain biking in. See you guys out there! Ill post up my secret weapon when its done :happydance:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
^^ this "I love the format and the amount of riding you get in per weekend"

I got hooked on mor FR and definatley DH in the past few years and during a 1 year work trip last year I could only do mainly dessert pedal rides. I really got back into "riding" my bike again. I also noticed I was getting tired of arriving in the carpark only to pull my DH bike of the rack, load up my armour and do the 40 minutue walk to the top of the mountain. Just seemed like I was missing bags of saddle time. I noticed the "Enduro" videos and threads and realised that I could put the DH/FR skills I had been working on and apply them to a more versatile riding style. With all the new bikes offerings it has become so much easier to rip up and down the mountain. I guess I have always riden as hard as I could on every ride, I just got side tracked by focusing on more of the downs. I lightened up my FR bike and have to say it was such a blast to ride the same trails and in fact I prefer the more responsive feel of the bike now. I have just about everything I need to build up my new bike when I get home in Feb, I only need to figure out which tires to run and I am done. I am so Phsyched. Not sure about the Enduro thing being shoved down my throat but it helped me to realised what dirrection I want to move in now.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
enduro race per excellence; mega avalanche....View attachment 113059
Call me old fashioned, but if we are going to have names for things we should use them correctly. 'Enduro' is a racing format, going on an 'enduro' ride just sounds lame; like you're trying to make your standard xc/all mtn/whatever ride into something extra impressive. It's right up there with saying 'I'm going on a free ride.' Call it whatever you want I suppose, but it's all a bit trite to call a mountainbike ride by a whole new name because you added 15mm of travel and a dropper post to your bike.

Mega Avalanche is also not 'enduro.' It's a mass start really f'ing long DH race with a couple uphill spots. So I guess we could call our group shuttle rides that have some pedaling 'mega' rides now?

Enduro looks like an extremely promising race format, but lets not get carried away slapping the name on everything, eh?

Last edited: