Quantcast

Enduro thread

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
#enduro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Troy Lee should make an Enduro version of the A1 called the E1 and charge $20 more for it, just for a good laugh.

PS, when are those bad boys going to be available in Taiwan? I'm well past due for replacing my Giro space balls helmet.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
I am in the middle of building up my 2013 Enduro/Super D bike and will be running one.

Cecil
Specs? if you want share.

I wonder if anybody have check on typical competition bike specs like Vouloiz, Barell etc.

Some things to figure out for me as clothes, tires, rims, armor...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Can't we talk about riding and bikes and stop the discussion about how enduro got ruined because it's cool right now? Some days RM's dislike for hipsters is really ironic.

It's a new sport, people have hopes for it and like it so they are excited. Get over it. Thanks to the hype we get awesome new events and gear.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
anybody tried that type of suit? scott protection stuffs and clothes seem good and getting mostly positive reviews.

As foor clothes , I know only about Gore and Endura. Are they good? Gore would be safe bet for me regarding to go through crap weather.

Scott suit

Last edited:

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
I don't mind about names, just wanted to post the awesomest of that race... :D:D:D:D:D
Call me old fashioned, but if we are going to have names for things we should use them correctly. 'Enduro' is a racing format, going on an 'enduro' ride just sounds lame; like you're trying to make your standard xc/all mtn/whatever ride into something extra impressive. It's right up there with saying 'I'm going on a free ride.' Call it whatever you want I suppose, but it's all a bit trite to call a mountainbike ride by a whole new name because you added 15mm of travel and a dropper post to your bike.

Mega Avalanche is also not 'enduro.' It's a mass start really f'ing long DH race with a couple uphill spots. So I guess we could call our group shuttle rides that have some pedaling 'mega' rides now?

Enduro looks like an extremely promising race format, but lets not get carried away slapping the name on everything, eh?

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I know I'm late to the party, but can someone explain enduro racing to me? It seems as though depending on what state or country you're in, it is defined differently. Do you ride up to ride down, and the uphill is not timed,but mandatory? Or is it DH style runs with some climbing over a bunch of timed runs, combing the times? Or am I way off?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I know I'm late to the party, but can someone explain enduro racing to me? It seems as though depending on what state or country you're in, it is defined differently. Do you ride up to ride down, and the uphill is not timed,but mandatory? Or is it DH style runs with some climbing over a bunch of timed runs, combing the times? Or am I way off?
You ride the whole loop, but only the DH sections are supposed to be timed. But that has a lot to do with the terrain. The one I did in November had a good bit of pedaling in the stages because of the terrain. The whole loop we did was 21 miles, with 4 timed Dh sections. But every enduro can be different depending on layout and terrain.
As far as what you call it, you guys can call it whatever you want, I will just call it awesome.
Living here, I would train for DH by going on a trail ride, climbing 3 big mountains and racing down them.
Now there is an event for this, and I can race the same bike I ride all the time. Plus, you get more for your money on an entry fee as you are on your bike all day.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You ride the whole loop, but only the DH sections are supposed to be timed. But that has a lot to do with the terrain. The one I did in November had a good bit of pedaling in the stages because of the terrain. The whole loop we did was 21 miles, with 4 timed Dh sections. But every enduro can be different depending on layout and terrain.
As far as what you call it, you guys can call it whatever you want, I will just call it awesome.
Living here, I would train for DH by going on a trail ride, climbing 3 big mountains and racing down them.
Now there is an event for this, and I can race the same bike I ride all the time. Plus, you get more for your money on an entry fee as you are on your bike all day.
It depends on the race. Enduro is basicly everything between xc and dh in race format. There are long distance races with quite a lot of uphills. mass start dh with uphills, non timed uphills with timed downhills.

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
It is awesome that there is a racing format for the way most aggressive riders ride their bikes! You gotta call it something.

Enduro hype? Hype = a growing market = corporate interest and cool new products for the style of riding most here like to do. Sounds good to me.

I guess there is a downside if you like the status quo or want to go back in time. Curmudgeon's unite!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
so you mostly do multi staged races when you go for a ride?
Please, even the damn race promoters can't decide on a consistent format or exactly what "enduro" is. Most played out overused buzz word in the MTB industry for 2012 and probably 2013 as well.

Get back to me when all these so-called "enduro experts" even agree on a definition.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Please, even the damn race promoters can't decide on a consistent format or exactly what "enduro" is. Most played out overused buzz word in the MTB industry for 2012 and probably 2013 as well.

Get back to me when all these so-called "enduro experts" even agree on a definition.
So all races need to be standarised and the same? I think it's awesome that we get so many different race formats. People complain about lack of diversity in dh. Here they have it and it's bad.

Also why it's an overused buzz word of 2012? It's been in use for the last 5 years. 2 articles on pinkbike and suddenly everyone claims it's overused? I don't get what you are raging about.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
So all races need to be standarised and the same? I think it's awesome that we get so many different race formats. People complain about lack of diversity in dh. Here they have it and it's bad.

Also why it's an overused buzz word of 2012? It's been in use for the last 5 years. 2 articles on pinkbike and suddenly everyone claims it's overused? I don't get what you are raging about.
+1

Due spread damage, I blame on 29" ers debate hence injured brains for some people after all this typing on Web.

DH'ers can stick to a few lift driven mountains as lab rats stuck in rotating wheels.

Take easy, ppl :)

Last edited:

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
Troy Lee should make an Enduro version of the A1 called the E1 and charge $20 more for it, just for a good laugh.

PS, when are those bad boys going to be available in Taiwan? I'm well past due for replacing my Giro space balls helmet.
Its too late for that, he has already called it a helmet for enduro riders:thumb:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Enduro racing, where washed up pro XC and DH racers go to die
Ha Ha! Well I guess that will be me this year! I am slowing down due to age and family. No reason for me to be out there trying to keep up with the Young 18/25 year old Pros anymore. Problem is I don't know how to not go all out! I have decided to put focus into Super D and Enduro's in 2012 and stand on the side lines to help my JrX DH rider I support. I am building up a 2013 Norco Sight 650B now. I am excited for the change. It will also allow me to do more exploring on the bike like when I first got into MTB riding in the early 90s. Call me washed up, call me what you want. Good news is, I will be having a lot of fun on the bike and pushing myself to much higher levels of riding than I have ever done in my 15 years of racing DH.

Enduro racing is here to stay and I can tell you, you will end up seeing all of the Industry supporting it to grow for a long time.

Cecil

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

its only new for the americans, thanks to pinkbike they finally know whats going on in the rest of the world ;)

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

its only new for the americans, thanks to pinkbike they finally know whats going on in the rest of the world ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That may explain it. We have 2 race series with enduro in their name that are both 3 years old at least. I think one may be older. Also didn't specialized have a bike called enduro in 2005? ;)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

Already having a good laugh from throwing out a couple enduro buzzwords, for the intardnet experts!

You should be able to replace your old lid soon, we are shipping now, official sale date is in a week, Feb 4th, extremely limited supply for the first batch, especially based on the overwhelming flood of orders we received upon launch, even for GOLD! haha, Gold is already gone and we did a limited run on them, just to be a limited edition wild launch color, that the pinkbike commenters seemed to have loved [sarcasm].
We are doing a lot of color options, and recycling the colors fast.

Oh, and ENDURO!!!!!!!!

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
This mean super d was a failure? It appears to fill that spot looking at the schedules. My problem with it is giving up some runs on the dh course if it is a saturday event. Im all in favor of it though if it gets more people out there.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
This mean super d was a failure? It appears to fill that spot looking at the schedules. My problem with it is giving up some runs on the dh course if it is a saturday event. Im all in favor of it though if it gets more people out there.
The general idea with Enduro-style racing is that you don't have to race at places that have lifts.
It's essentially a whole day(or more) of riding with a bunch of 1990's style DH races thrown in throughout the event.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
The general idea with Enduro-style racing is that you don't have to race at places that have lifts.
It's essentially a whole day(or more) of riding with a bunch of 1990's style DH races thrown in throughout the event.
that post sums up Enduro at best way :thumbs up:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
when they start timing the uphills too, I'll pay attention. You can still do "stages" but now it matters who gets to the top first too.

Regardless, I see it being a decent thing for places that don't have lift access....but most places that don't have lift access around here don't have good trails either.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
when they start timing the uphills too, I'll pay attention. You can still do "stages" but now it matters who gets to the top first too.

Regardless, I see it being a decent thing for places that don't have lift access....but most places that don't have lift access around here don't have good trails either.
Why? That defeats the purpose of Enduro. If you time the uphills, you'll have just another XC race, this time with stages. The whole point of Enduro is to provide a fun race that is not entirely dependent on fitness (as XC is), but not quite as crazy as real DH has become nowadays.