Quantcast

energy drinks?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
So can someone give me the scope on energy drinks namely Cytomax and Accelerade are they worth their price and when do you use them? Tell me everything.
Thanks

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I use cytomax, but only cytomax not the full line up (before during (cytomax) and after.)
I does what it claims in my experience (big time in the acid reduction area) and if i did the full line it would probably be better, but oh well.
I have no experience with any other products.
cytosport is the company.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've used Accelerade and Endurox. The Endurox is a nice recovery drink and I noticed that it does reduce soreness a little. Proper rest and a good diet is probably a better solution though. The Accelerade helps for really long rides but at full strength it is too sweet for me. I mix it at about 1/2 to 2/3 suggested strength.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
used revenge, smart fuel, e-caps' sustained energy, gatorade, extran, and the list goes on. at of all of em i'd say that i'd buy the sustained energy and the extran and will probably use one of the two for most of this season. they are both extremely light on your stomach and have no over powering taste to them. e-caps' products take a bit getting used to the taste at first. it's supposedly a "no flavor" but it just tastes a bit odd to be frankly honest. it's definiatly worth a try b/c it works extremely well. oh and the gatorade (powder form) is good b/c it's cheap.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Flat Mountain Dew mixed 1/2 & 1/2 with water and some electrolyte tablets. Eat a banana and some pretzils as soon as your race is over.
I have tried a similar combo, 1part water 1part Mt.Dew 1part gatoraid or acceleraid. It seemed to be a great mixture but I was afraid that the caffeine would dehydrate in the long run.

Does caffeine help your performance or just make you feel more energetic, your legs and lungs can only do so much???

suga_stie

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Redlands, CA
cytomax! citrus cooler -- before & during race , in addition to just plan water. gatorate also seems to be a good option for me too...

after race: a can of COKE! good old coca-cola

then water water water.....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Westy
I have tried a similar combo, 1part water 1part Mt.Dew 1part gatoraid or acceleraid. It seemed to be a great mixture but I was afraid that the caffeine would dehydrate in the long run.

Does caffeine help your performance or just make you feel more energetic, your legs and lungs can only do so much???
My endurance experience comes from running 50K trail events - the energy output is similar to an XC race. Excessive amounts of caffiene can lead to dehydration but you are not likely to ingest enough to make a difference - your biggest problem will be salt loss and that can lead to dehydration and muscle cramps.

At mile 26 of a 31 mile trail run I like about 4 oz of flat coke and some salty pretzils... the burst of salt/carbs/caffeine cannot be denied. Simple sugars are simple sugars and, as long as I consume them at a slow but steady rate, I never get the crash or upset stomach other's sometimes complain about.

When I do use a gel I use plain GU or Hammer Gel, they both taste like crap but so what? It's ain't fine dining. :p Hammer Gel makes a coffee flavored gel with added caffiene - it is very popular at ultra aid stations.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I used to always use just plain water in races and gels. Can i just use Cytomax and no gels in races of about 1.5 hours? Also for long races like 180km 2 day races should i use gel, bars, cytomax and food?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by JMAC
I used to always use just plain water in races and gels. Can i just use Cytomax and no gels in races of about 1.5 hours? Also for long races like 180km 2 day races should i use gel, bars, cytomax and food?
I don't see why not, 90 minutes isn't really going to deplete your resources and should not lead to significant dehydration. I usually do not bother with any replacement type food or drinks for efforts lasting less than 2 hours - plain water or gatoraid works fine for me.

If you find you are going to be racing in very dry or humid conditions you might consider GU20, I like it for warm weather efforts as it has more salts than other replacement drinks.

MTBDOC

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Way down south
There is research to support using carbohydrate solutions to improve performance in events as short as a 10 mile time trial (20-25 minutes depending on one's speed). The fact that some folks seem to be able to race a 2hr XC race on just water boggles my mind. I have used all sorts of stuff...kind of partial to the Mango flavored Revenge, Grape Cytomax...and, like Indie says, cheap ol' powdered Gatorade. As for gels, I like Hammergel, primarily for taste and cost.

If you read the propaganda, each company will tell you THEIR product is best...but the reality is this is an individual thing. See what you LIKE, so you'll drink it. As for the simple vs complex carb issue (Hammergel beats this to death), see if you really have any difference. The addition of protein (ala Revenge, Accelerade, Sustained energy) may enhance exercise performance and uptake of carbs (there is some data, not actually all that much). The mythical/magical 4:1 ratio exists, because THAT is simply the combination that was tried in the research...no one has tried different ratios to actually see what is best...but that's typical marketing. Having said that, for AFTER racing, I have been using a "home brew" for a number of years, using a quick disolving maltodextran (originally sold under the Unipro label as "Carboplex") and a chocolate flavored whey protein isolate in roughly a 4-5:1 ratio.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok well i think i'm going to get some of the Cytomax see what happens i never use drinks or supplements for training like i do 6 hour rides in the some with nothing but water and I do 1.5 hour race simmulated efforts with only a bottle of water I've never really paid any attention to what i'd eat before races. Would it be benificial to use cytomax during training.?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I don't see why not, 90 minutes isn't really going to deplete your resources and should not lead to significant dehydration. I usually do not bother with any replacement type food or drinks for efforts lasting less than 2 hours - plain water or gatoraid works fine for me.

If you find you are going to be racing in very dry or humid conditions you might consider GU20, I like it for warm weather efforts as it has more salts than other replacement drinks.
I think everyone is a little different. Even after 30 minutes of really hard riding I can start to feel my blood sugar levels drop. For any sustained exercise I need to eat or drink some kind of energy every 30 minutes or so. On the other hand I ride with some people who can ride for over 6 hours needing little more than a few sips of water.

Get in tune with your body and what it is telling you, try different things until you find something that works for you.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
Ok well i think i'm going to get some of the Cytomax see what happens i never use drinks or supplements for training like i do 6 hour rides in the some with nothing but water and I do 1.5 hour race simmulated efforts with only a bottle of water I've never really paid any attention to what i'd eat before races. Would it be benificial to use cytomax during training.?
yeah use it for a few times during training to see how your body reacts to it. you don't want to try using a drink mix that you've never had before at a unknown amount (level of concentration) b/c it could really fu/ck w/ your stomach.

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
I use Cytomax and found it to be quite satisfactory. One word of caution though: it contains an artificial sweetener, Acesulfame-K. Both my boyfriend and I found that we experienced slight headaches and stomach discomfort when consuming the suggested serving. This happened on several occasions.
Now, we use slightly less, drink more water, and receive the benefits without the side efffects.

Mecannoman

Chimp
Mar 16, 2003
hovering
In addition to Cytomax, I use a homeopathic tablet to ease cramping, and accelerate recovery. It's called Sportenine, made by Boiron. It hasn't failed me yet! :monkey:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Mecannoman
In addition to Cytomax, I use a homeopathic tablet to ease cramping, and accelerate recovery. It's called Sportenine, made by Boiron. It hasn't failed me yet! :monkey:
Maybe i'll get some of that Sportenine stuff homeopathic stuff actually works really well.

tmargul

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
half way through a double century my life was saved by 500cc of V8. For shorter rides, Gatoraid seemed ok.

tom