Quantcast

Energy surging dogs?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I have a 7 year old lhasa apso (no he doesnt have the stupid long hair). Ever since we've had him he will get these energy surges where he runs around in circles around the house non stop. He will do it for like 2 mins, stop drink water, then lay down. Does anyone know what the hell this is? I've always been curious and just wondering why dogs do this.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
My bulldog (see avatar) does it as well, though not as often these days. I've never really figured out what triggers it, I just make sure I'm not in the way when it happens.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
is he a hunting dog? my pops listens to some dog show on the radio and someone called in and asked that same question....and they said that hunting dogs for some reason just have these spirts of energy that the burn out by running laps....my lab does that alot he'll run all over the house then jump on the couch then run around the house again jump on the couch and jus keep doin that...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
my dog does that too (lab/sheppard mix) she runs figure 8's in the back yard. If i go out and run with her she can go for 10 minutes straight. I love it. Less work for me when it comes time for a walk.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
My dog does it as well. He'll run outside and do 4-5 hot laps around the yard. The yard is big, but crowded, so he has to jump and dodge lots of stuff.
Then he chills out and goes back to normal.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Hah yeah my dog is considered a hunting dog but i dont know what the hell he would catch. Still wonderin what the hell causes it.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
My dog ginger does that sometimes. (A golden retreiver) She normally does this when we all come home after being away part of the day, she gets super happy and runs around the house and trys to tera apart her bed.

Pretty funny!
:p

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Labs do that too. Our mutt doesn't, but our Lab puppy will tuck his tail back and run around like crazy for a minute or so. Apparently it's common enough to have a name (butt-tucking).

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
All breeds do it....just some dogs much more than others. It's pronounced frapping and mean "Frequent Random Acts of Play", or "Frantically Running and Playing"....it can be quite hilarious if your dog does it on leash while being walked (they'll essentially run ciurcles around you trying to rip your arm off).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My dog does it too. He'll sometimes plow right into me. I always figured he did it because the cat told him to take my knees out.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
My current dogs dont do it... Great Pyr and Shep. But I had a Beagle that would do that... We called it the "crazy dog run"... she'd do the crazy dog run at top speed around the living room, using the furniture and the back of the couch as a berm. She did it one day at a new house upstairs and came tearing down the stairs, which (unlike the old house) now had a right angle turn at the bottom... and she ran headlong into the wall... that wassome funny sh!t there.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
our Jack Russells do it too. Our hallways up stairs is a loop... they get running after each other and it's pretty nuts. We call it the racetrack.