Quantcast

Engagement party etiquette?

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
Are you supposto bring a gift to an engagement party? If so, what type of gift?? I know that I should know this, but all of my friends ride bikes and don't actually get engaged.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
People have engagement parties?

No. dont bring a gift. You'll get swindled out of one at the wedding if they're really serious.

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
Booze sounds like a good gift...... seriously, I'll need all the drinks I can get if I have to see my brother and future sister-in-law with hookers and strippers. She has some sort of expensive chocolate fondue fountain thing planned....welcome to the snooty OC baby :angry:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
It's the general rule of thumb that you should bring a gift to an engagement party. How much you like the couple and how good of friends you are with them should determine how much you spend on the gift. If they sent out invitations (yeah, for a freaking engagement party, whatever), they should have a listing of places they're registered. If in fact that they sent out invitations with no registration listing or if they just called you up and said, "show up," disregard everything I've said and screw up, just show up and drink. Werd.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Torque a fatty with the groom..... He'll need it. Toss him a bud for later too. Thats what I would do.....jdcamb

reflux said:
It's the general rule of thumb that you should bring a gift to an engagement party. How much you like the couple and how good of friends you are with them should determine how much you spend on the gift. If they sent out invitations (yeah, for a freaking engagement party, whatever), they should have a listing of places they're registered. If in fact that they sent out invitations with no registration listing or if they just called you up and said, "show up," disregard everything I've said and screw up, just show up and drink. Werd.
yeah, you should bring a gift.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
wait a minute, is this like a shower for the bride and the groom. will the bride have a wedding shower too. is she one of those wierd brides that has like 5 different showers? and then a wedding present too. seems like a lot of gifts to me. but then again, i don't live in the OC.

J

JRB

laura said:
wait a minute, is this like a shower for the bride and the groom. will the bride have a wedding shower too. is she one of those wierd brides that has like 5 different showers? and then a wedding present too. seems like a lot of gifts to me. but then again, i don't live in the OC.

You think it's like the tv show??? Let's ask Stosh what they would do.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Best thing you can bring is an arguing married couple - show them off as the example of what the newly enganged will eventually become.

If that doesn't snap them back to reality, they are a lost cause.

In all seriousness... I don't know what you are supposed to do, but I'd say you should bring food and/or drink. There will probably be a bridal shower and a batchelor - and you'll get swindled into spending money then. Plus, a weddding present. For the engagement party, bring a bottle of wine or something similar.

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
For the engagement party, bring a bottle of wine or something similar.

And frozen corn dogs. I am sure they are a big hit in Orange County.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
OCDH said:
................have to see my brother and future sister-in-law with........
If its your brother i say screw the gifts. Me and my brother NEVER buy eachother gifts. We figure "not killing/disfiguring eachother while we where kids" is more than enough.

J

JRB

W4S said:
That'd be funny as hell, considering OCDH is a chick!! I'd buy that for a dollar. :devil:

Is she hot??? Would she oblige??? Now that she knows it's a possibility, it may be easier.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
jdcamb said:
Torque a fatty with the groom..... He'll need it. Toss him a bud for later too. Thats what I would do.....jdcamb
That's for sure, and in that same vein, other possibilities include:

* A nice 750ml of alcohol, but not Chardonnay...I like to give German holiday dessert wines or quality 750ml Cordials
* A gift certificate to Adam&Eve
* A subscription to Playboy
* A cool coffee table book

:cool:

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
W4S said:
Get her drunk enough and she'll do anything.

Just kidding Hol, please don't kill me. :D

.....that's anything but sleep with you :evil:

Totally kidding Bri..... :cool:

Suggestions are good so far - all but the corn dog suggestion. I don't think the blond princess would let her party go all 909 trailer parkish! I don't see a lot of bike gifts to her in the future...

J

JRB

OCDH said:
Suggestions are good so far - all but the corn dog suggestion. I don't think the blond princess would let her party go all 909 trailer parkish!

Ahemmmmm :eviltongu

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Echo said:
And she freakin' RIPS on a bike.
AND she's an angel too. Coming to the rescue when you hurt your bones.

Box of wine, eh? That's what my future in-laws drink. :thumb: