Quantcast

Engineers

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So I was talking to this engineer at work today. I'm gonna get one of those programmable thermostats, because sometimes I forget to turn down the heat before I leave for work.

So he proceeds to describe to me what he did, which cost less than $6 at Walmart.

He bought a 24 hour timer and a nite lite. He mounted the nite lite under the thermostat, and hooked it up to the 24 hour timer. He set the 24 hour timer so the nite lite comes on during the day and heats up the thermostat, so it thinks the house is already warm and doesn't turn on the furnace.

Personally I would rather spend a few extra bucks and not have that contraption mounted to the wall in my living room. I just think it's funny the things some of these engineer types do :D

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Must be one hella nite lite to heat up the air from where a normal receptical is up to where a normal thermostat is... that's roughly 4' (usually). Then you gotta figure the 'stat is in a hallway or some space with a lot of volume... I donno about that tale.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
Must be one hella nite lite to heat up the air from where a normal receptical is up to where a normal thermostat is... that's roughly 4' (usually). Then you gotta figure the 'stat is in a hallway or some space with a lot of volume... I donno about that tale.
Why are you assuming that it's plugged into a baseboard? You could easily use a small extension cord and mount the light right in front of the thermostat.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What is funnier than a guy going out of his way to make a timed thermostat out of a nitelight is people arguing about it on the internet.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
N8 said:
Obviously you are not an engineer if you can't figure out how to get electricity from an outlet to a device 4 feet away.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
Why are you assuming that it's plugged into a baseboard? You could easily use a small extension cord and mount the light right in front of the thermostat.

True dat... and yes it be an ugly mess... just the type of thing an engineer would come up with.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm figuring his wife will decide to be helpful and change the bulb, but she will buy one with higher wattage and his pipes will freeze.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
ah come on...

sometimes the way torward the goal is what counts...

that engineer just wanted to have some fun so he built something in his freetime...

splat

Nam I am
MMcG said:
I'm surprised Splat hasn't chimed in on this thread yet!
um.... um ....... um ........ sorry late to this thread But was Helping SloMoJo move.

johnbryanpeters said:
splat shines his headlight on it from 100 yards away - melts thermostat housing. :monkey:
And your point is ? :eviltongu

I guess I should tell you about my 2 latest Projercts.

1st working with a 3 watt Luxeon LED That Puppy is bright , But Not quite as much as a Halogen. but might work out .

and My other one is a Computerized Peak Battery Charger.

I am using a 386 running DOS 6.2 , And I installed a MetraByte DAS-4 8 channel , 8 Bit A/d Card and I am Also Going to put in a DIO card and Make a 5 Channel charger ( 3 Channels will be need to monitor the supply voltage. ) and I plan to monitor the voltage going into the BAtteries and when it Starts to Dip the compouter will turn off the power to that Cell.

now back to the Themostat , that is not really that Origianl the was an Old apple II Program used to auto mate a house and they use a Small heating coil under the themostat to lower the temperature during the day/night or when ever you programmed it.

Did I ever tell you about my Automatic lighting for my Lamp post / Walk Lights ? and that My lamppost runs on 12 Volts.

I don't understand , Engineers are Great Awesome Peps!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

splat said:
...and My other one is a Computerized Peak Battery Charger.

I am using a 386 running DOS 6.2 , And I installed a MetraByte DAS-4 8 channel , 8 Bit A/d Card and I am Also Going to put in a DIO card and Make a 5 Channel charger ( 3 Channels will be need to monitor the supply voltage. ) and I plan to monitor the voltage going into the BAtteries and when it Starts to Dip the compouter will turn off the power to that Cell.
For NiCds?

Aren't there a lot of cheap integrated circuits that'll do the job without having to depend on a PC?

J

splat

Nam I am
johnbryanpeters said:
For NiCds?

Aren't there a lot of cheap integrated circuits that'll do the job without having to depend on a PC?

J
and your Point is ? :D

2 Things about that:

1) The chips will charg the battery, but they Won't tell you howm Much of a charge they put in the battery, and they also won't keep a database history of each battery as to how it is doing .

2) I'm cheap. i have all these parts , I would haveto buy those chips to do that. ( actually I got a Couple of evaluation Chips from maxim , dam its good to be an enginner! )

splat said:

2 Things about that:

1) The chips will charg the battery, but they Won't tell you howm Much of a charge they put in the battery, and they also won't keep a database history of each battery as to how it is doing .

2) I'm cheap. i have all these parts , I would haveto buy those chips to do that. ( actually I got a Couple of evaluation Chips from maxim , dam its good to be an enginner! )
There are a few things I'd like to see in lighting systems:
1) 9 AH packs instead of 4.5. I'd like to be able to finish two night laps at a 24 hour event without either switching systems or stopping to fiddle with cables to change to a new battery.
2) Cutoff systems like NiteRider uses that turn off the light when you have drained the battery to the point where you're about to damage the battery. These should have an override for emergencies.
3) Standard connector systems - there are an approximately infinite number of combinations of barrel and pin sizes.

I like the idea of keeping battery histories. Now you need to do bar codes and scan 'em as you charge...

J

splat

Nam I am
johnbryanpeters said:
There are a few things I'd like to see in lighting systems:
1) 9 AH packs instead of 4.5. I'd like to be able to finish two night laps at a 24 hour event without either switching systems or stopping to fiddle with cables to change to a new battery.
2) Cutoff systems like NiteRider uses that turn off the light when you have drained the battery to the point where you're about to damage the battery. These should have an override for emergencies.
3) Standard connector systems - there are an approximately infinite number of combinations of barrel and pin sizes.

I like the idea of keeping battery histories. Now you need to do bar codes and scan 'em as you charge...

J

1) What size Bulb are you using /How long does a lap at 24 take you ?
My lateset Light is a 6 volt 12 watt Buld , and I am getting about 2 1/2 hours from 1 - 4 ah Ni-CD

2) A cut off system that would be nice. ( should work on that . )

3) I sue Power Pole connectotrs on all my Battery/Lighting systems.

splat said:
1) What size Bulb are you using /How long does a lap at 24 take you ?
My lateset Light is a 6 volt 12 watt Buld , and I am getting about 2 1/2 hours from 1 - 4 ah Ni-CD

2) A cut off system that would be nice. ( should work on that . )

3) I sue Power Pole connectotrs on all my Battery/Lighting systems.
15 W, about an hour a lap.

I know of reliable connectors, but rejiggering a purchased set voids the warranty.

I guess I need to start building my own - the deficits of the commercial systems seem to outweigh the benefits.

J

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
splat said:

2 Things about that:

so not only are enginer payed well but, they seem to be exteamly efficient with their moneies! ...database of battery charges??? :nope: GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!