Quantcast

Enginerd help: bearings, fitting of and appropriate tools

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I've just got back from the bike shop with my Sunday, having been charged £30 for the changing of two bearings in the rear chainstay pivot. Let me just say that I have no complaints about the shop (for around an hours work it seems reasonable) but I'm beginning to think it's the kind of job I should be doing myself, saving a bit of time and money. I've changed a few bearings on my last frame using ghetto rigged socket sets and a vice but to be honest it was a bit nerve wracking and I like to have the right tools for the job, especially on a frame I've bought from new.

So I'd just like to know from engineer/mechanic types what is the best sort of tool(s) to buy for doing this job? I'd always assumed you use a bearing drift, which as far as I know isn't much more than a steel cylinder which is thin enough at one end to punch the old one out, and thick enough at one end to seat the new one from the opposite direction. Then my searches on Google directed me towards a blind bearing puller kit which I hadn't heard of before. These seem to range massively in price, and I don't know if they come in the sizes needed for the usual types of MTB bearings. I'm also unsure as to whether these kits can also be used to refit bearings, which I'm probably more interested in to be honest as I don't want to damage a new bearing or even worse, the frame.

I'm a bit confused as to what to look for here, so any advice greatly appreciated. :confused: Please, no 'just use a screwdriver and a hammer' suggestions.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Every bearing needs a properly sized tool. Ever see a ball joint press for car/trucks?

If you are doing it right, you make a proper tool for every bearing. Hence why sockets work so well. Sockets, some all thread, and nuts and washers will get you there without any damage.
I have no idea what bike shops use.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Sockets and a vice.

It's the method used by most shops (and quite a few companies as well). As long as you take your time setting everything up, it works great and is much less expensive than a full bearing press.

-KT

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
OK, so it looks like the socket and vice method is the method of choice for most then...

That might work fine for putting them in, but it can sometimes be a massive pain in the arse to get them out just by hammering away. For example, some frames use more than two bearings per pivot, with two bearings side by side in contact making it difficult to get any purchase with a punch (had that with an old Kona). I think in that situation a bearing puller would make the job a hell of a lot easier. Unfortunately the ones I have seen so far come in large and small sizes, and the Sunday uses a mix of sizes that would require two different sets, damn...

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
OK, so it looks like the socket and vice method is the method of choice for most then...

That might work fine for putting them in, but it can sometimes be a massive pain in the arse to get them out just by hammering away. For example, some frames use more than two bearings per pivot, with two bearings side by side in contact making it difficult to get any purchase with a punch (had that with an old Kona). I think in that situation a bearing puller would make the job a hell of a lot easier. Unfortunately the ones I have seen so far come in large and small sizes, and the Sunday uses a mix of sizes that would require two different sets, damn...
but not on your bike so no need to get your panties in a mess worrying about it!! :p

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Don't ever use a hammer with bearings, unless you have no other choice, and use that for removal only.

For pressing in new bearings, a properly sized socket and a sturdy vice does just fine. Threaded rod, nuts, washers do very well also. If your frame goes through bearings a lot, it's worth it to have this in your toolbox, with an array of fender washers for different sized bearings (this way you can get away with one threaded rod and adapt outwards).

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
If you want to spend alot of money and get the right tool for the job made by people who make bearings have a look here http://www.endurobearings.com/bicycle.html
Just click on the Tools menu an oogle away:thumb:
enduro doesnt actually make anything other than seals. they are just a dealer. A good socket set is the best option IMO unless you have the ability to make your own tools. Personally i use a threaded rod and then turn down some steel and make some cups on the ol lathe. but sockets are easy to find and come in every size

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009

youc an typically use whatever device you have for pressing them in to get them out. for the needle bearings on my dhr for example i use some steel that i turned down and a long bolt with a nut. another piece of metal i put on the other side of the link that has an inside diameter big enough for the bearing and the steel rod to slide into. ill post up a pic in a bit

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That might work fine for putting them in, but it can sometimes be a massive pain in the arse to get them out just by hammering away.
I think you missed a couple suggestions of threaded rod and nuts.

Combined with some washers and sockets you can make a press (both in and out) for all the bearings on the sunday. A vice can help too.

Having done sunday bearings countless times myself (with no hammer) I can tell you that you don't need to waste money on special tools if you can get creative with the aforementioned items.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
If you want to do it right, get this.

(Taken from the Austrailian site, but available from any Giant dealer.)

We got this kit for our shop and it breaks any suspension frame down in a matter of minutes and back again... It's pricy, but so worth it IMO.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
OK, so I changed the seatstay bearings last night (shop didn't change them, don't ask) using a socket set and a C-clamp... and it went fine, of course. These are probably the easiest bearings to change out of anything I've seen because of their accessability and the area around them is nice and flat. However, I'm still interested in a bearing puller of some sort; Gary, the Sunday frame might not have any doubled up bearings, but my rear hub has six bearings in it, four of them paired up. :p I just prefer to use the right tools for the job, nothing more frustrating to me than making an arse of a job (or worse, causing some damage) cos you were faffing around with the wrong tools.

Uncle Cliffy, that kit is fairly pricey but it looks the buisness, does it accomodate pretty much all bearing sizes or is it specifically ones that are used on the Giants?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA

I'm an engineer, and I like to use an arbor press for bearing installation and removal. My first choice is to use sockets if one is the right size, but if not I will machine a tool if I have to. I now have a box of random round metal pieces used for different bearings. Threaded rod or long bolts also work well. I don't like using a vice or c-clamp as I find both of them much more cumbersome to use. Luckily at work we have several different size arbor presses and any machine tools I need to make bearing press tools. But you can get small arbor presses for home use at a reasonable price. Here is one I found quickly.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah

I'm an engineer, and I like to use an arbor press for bearing installation and removal. My first choice is to use sockets if one is the right size, but if not I will machine a tool if I have to. I now have a box of random round metal pieces used for different bearings. Threaded rod or long bolts also work well. I don't like using a vice or c-clamp as I find both of them much more cumbersome to use. Luckily at work we have several different size arbor presses and any machine tools I need to make bearing press tools. But you can get small arbor presses for home use at a reasonable price. Here is one I found quickly.
I have one of those and it works great for installing SOME bearings, but unfortunately it doesn't work for all applications. I had a Sunday and had to use a mix of tools to get the bearings in and out. For the links you can use the arbor press, but on the frame I had to use a Drill-Press vice and a mini hand vice with the Enduro bearing adapters.