Quantcast

"enhanced interrogation techniques"

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Consider, for example, the CIA program that Bush created to detain and question senior leaders captured in the war on terror. Many of these terrorists, including Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed, refused to talk -- until Bush authorized the CIA to use enhanced interrogation techniques. Information gained using those techniques is responsible for stopping a number of planned attacks -- including plots to blow up the American consulate in Karachi, Pakistan; to fly airplanes into the towers of Canary Wharf in London; and to fly a hijacked airplane into the Library Tower in Los Angeles.
ad_icon

During the campaign, Obama described the techniques used to prevent these attacks as "torture." He promised that if elected, he would "have the Army Field Manual govern interrogation techniques for all United States Government personnel and contractors." If he follows through, he will effectively kill a program that stopped al-Qaeda from launching another Sept. 11-style attack. It was easy for Obama the candidate to criticize the CIA program. But as president, what will he do when the next senior al-Qaeda leader -- with actionable intelligence on plots to strike our homeland -- is captured and refuses to talk? Will the president allow the CIA to question this terrorist using enhanced interrogation techniques? If Obama refuses and our country is attacked, he will bear responsibility.
I suppose the reverse logic of using torture incited more support for Al-Qaeda, which is Bush's fault....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/21/AR2009012103215.html

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
wondering how long every thing's going to remain, "Bush's fault...."

some of ya'll are like a broken record.
Bush's fault....
Bush's fault....
Bush's fault....
Bush's fault....
Bush's fault....
Bush's fault....
Bush's fault....
Bush's fault....
Bush's fault....

but hey, i guess it beats trying to actually use your supposed higher education skills and self proclaimed expertise on how this country should be defended, to actually try to figure out a better way to protect the legal citizens of this country.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
This is really simple... if you torture someone, you don't talk about it and you kill them when you're done.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
This is really simple... if you torture someone, you don't talk about it and you kill them when you're done.
in other words: americans have become to weak-stomached to do what it takes to win at war. the same people who cry foul at torture techniques are the same people who scream brutality at every police use of force. these weak people will moan and cry when their protectors can't save them because they've tied the hands of those who could.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
in other words: americans have become to weak-stomached to do what it takes to win at war. the same people who cry foul at torture techniques are the same people who scream brutality at every police use of force. these weak people will moan and cry when their protectors can't save them because they've tied the hands of those who could.
the same people who are against torture are also against police brutality, it would seem that they are able to care about the welfare of other people!

Those same people are against the war in Iraq, they don't think it is a war that should be fought in the first place. That mindset is the same mindset of all the neoconservatives and the assholes that should be tried in war crimes court, that you are the only thing keeping society from falling apart, and if you don't beat the **** out of people for no reason then all hell will break loose. Except that you're wrong, because the police in other countries aren't as abusive as they are in the US.

We have to ask ourselves if the war is worth winning and if it can be even won. By accepting torture as a means to winning a war, you are no better than the people that say that dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were worth it.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Like the Nazis?

Or Vietnam?

I complain about torture and police brutality. I'm not talking about tuning up a perp, but incidents like Abner Louimer and Amalou Diallo.

Is necessary to beat down every suspect to get a confession?

And when our soldiers are captured, I guess it is ok for their captors to torture them because we do the same?

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
then you're not allowed to be outraged when Americans get tortured

the Hanoi Hilton and everything that went on inside was justified because North Vietnam thought it necessary to win the war.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'm not talking about tuning up a perp, but incidents like Abner Louimer and Amalou Diallo.
look at these names & tell me they aren't criminals. it's not about profiling. it's about common american sense.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So, basically, the only difference between you and a Gestapo (or KGB, or whatever odious police/military organization you wish) member is an accident of birth?

Not everyone admits that with such enthusiasm. Luckily, you worship a God that was tortured to death, so I guess it's ok.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
So, basically, the only difference between you and a Gestapo (or KGB, or whatever odious police/military organization you wish) member is an accident of birth?

Not everyone admits that with such enthusiasm. Luckily, you worship a God that was tortured to death, so I guess it's ok.
As some say, "Love it or leave it". If Manimal hates fundamental American principles he should leave the country. I'm sure there are still plenty of corrupt despots that would love the way he thinks...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Am I correct to interpret this as you saying that the ends justify the means?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for preventing more attacks, but at what cost?

Bull****. Strong needs not equate with cruel.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Especially when that cost icludes pissing off people to the point where they want to attack or support attacks on us.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003

while i'm not an advocate for torture, i believe it has its place in very extreme circumstances, like the child believed to be buried alive. "hypothetical" you say?

"anecdotal" i say

and in the linked article, you'll find torture wasn't used, but the threat of torture. on some it works, on some it doesn't. on all it should be an absolute last resort, and only to save innocent human life. i think we can agree an 11 y.o. boy can be presumed to be innocent, especially given the case he was used for ransom

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Especially when that cost icludes pissing off people to the point where they want to attack or support attacks on us.
absolutely this must be considered. that's why you don't do anything stupid like let the suspect retain alan dershowitz's services after the interrogation.

but i do find it odd there are people who would manufacture outrage to the point of taking up jihad when they're from the very parts of the world where it knowingly goes on within their own borders.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
absolutely this must be considered. that's why you don't do anything stupid like let the suspect retain alan dershowitz's services after the interrogation.

but i do find it odd there are people who would manufacture outrage to the point of taking up jihad when they're from the very parts of the world where it knowingly goes on within their own borders.
There is always more outrage when someone outside of your group wrongs someone in your group. An abusive father is probably the one most likely to go ape**** at little league game when his kid gets hit with a bean ball.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Then by that line of reasoning the acts of terrorists is justified as they are doing what they have to do to win their war. Same could be said about the criminals you deal with daily

If a line is not drawn, all hell breaks loose and he who has the biggest guns wins.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Then by that line of reasoning the acts of terrorists is justified as they are doing what they have to do to win their war. Same could be said about the criminals you deal with daily

If a line is not drawn, all hell breaks loose and he who has the biggest guns wins.
if someone buries my daughter alive, i'd gladly hold the jumper cables, cordless drill & get to tuning up.

i'd even stop by wal-mart with a printout of the 5-things thread

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
then you're not allowed to be outraged when Americans get tortured

the Hanoi Hilton and everything that went on inside was justified because North Vietnam thought it necessary to win the war.
the very reason i spent a week in the hell of SERE school was so that i'd understand what would happen to me if i was ever caught as a POW. i also understand that we are the only country that actually attempts to play by the rules but, in war, bad things happen. i'm not advocating "torture" as a standard procedure but there are times when it is warranted. hmmm..lets see. Let's say that samirol has some adorable little kids and some prick extremist decides to set up some bombs inside several schools including the one where said adorable kids attend classes. so the powers that be at (insert national security agency of the week ) learn of the attack just moments before it is set to occur and apprehend aforementioned extremist prick but no one knows which schools will have been targeted....except the detained extremist prick.
so now..as the parent of said adorable kids; should we "do the right thing" and offer this prick the same legal due process afforded to our citizens or should we do whatever we can to get information out of this murderer before he can kill our kids?
don't worry, you don't have to answer that question because you'll never be in the position to make a decision like that. you'll just blame people like us for not doing enough when it does happen. that's ok, i can live with that.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
and what if he didn't?
Without due process it is impossible to know.

i'm not advocating "torture" as a standard procedure but there are times when it is warranted. hmmm..lets see. Let's say that samirol has some adorable little kids and some prick extremist decides to set up some bombs inside several schools including the one where said adorable kids attend classes. so the powers that be at (insert national security agency of the week ) learn of the attack just moments before it is set to occur and apprehend aforementioned extremist prick but no one knows which schools will have been targeted....except the detained extremist prick.
so now..as the parent of said adorable kids; should we "do the right thing" and offer this prick the same legal due process afforded to our citizens or should we do whatever we can to get information out of this murderer before he can kill our kids?
Yes. Unequivocally. That is the law, and I have a major problem with law enforcement that feels that they know better how to handle things than the law states.

Besides, what guarantee would you have that they would be truthful with you even if they were being tortured? Didn't you see the Dark Knight?

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Besides, what guarantee would you have that they would be truthful with you even if they were being tortured.
Exactly. The consensus of studies on torture have show the efficacy to be of limited value so why would someone continue to support its use if you are just going to get a whole lot of erroneous information and negative attention to your cause/department/nation/etc.

Many in US Department of the Defense knew this and staff protested from the beginning but had to go along with the Administration misguided policies. It was the people with zero military experience, not the other way around, who pushed for torture.

In extensive interviews with MSNBC.com, former leaders of the Defense Department’s Criminal Investigation Task Force said they repeatedly warned senior Pentagon officials beginning in early 2002 that the harsh interrogation techniques used by a separate intelligence team would not produce reliable information, could constitute war crimes, and would embarrass the nation when they became public knowledge.

The investigators say their warnings began almost from the moment their agents got involved at the Guantanamo prison camp, in January 2002. When they could not prevent the harsh interrogations and humiliation of detainees at Guantanamo, they say, they tried in 2003 to stop the spread of those tactics to Iraq, where abuses at Abu Ghraib prison triggered worldwide outrage with the publishing of graphic photos in April 2004.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
the very reason i spent a week in the hell of SERE school was so that i'd understand what would happen to me if i was ever caught as a POW. i also understand that we are the only country that actually attempts to play by the rules but, in war, bad things happen. i'm not advocating "torture" as a standard procedure but there are times when it is warranted. hmmm..lets see. Let's say that samirol has some adorable little kids and some prick extremist decides to set up some bombs inside several schools including the one where said adorable kids attend classes. so the powers that be at (insert national security agency of the week ) learn of the attack just moments before it is set to occur and apprehend aforementioned extremist prick but no one knows which schools will have been targeted....except the detained extremist prick.
don't worry, you don't have to answer that question because you'll never be in the position to make a decision like that. you'll just blame people like us for not doing enough when it does happen. that's ok, i can live with that.
Hmm.

I work with a Naval Academy graduate, and to be frank, I am getting sick and tired of how my opinion has less validity because "you'll never be in the position to make a decision like that."

Bush and Cheney have seen about as much combat as I have. Obama, too for that matter.

But I think that with due process of the law, then all of us suffer greatly. First it is the Arab terrorists, including those who were innocent. Then it is the rabble rousers who incite protests, then reporters, then who knows next.

What if we beat the crap out of Johannes Meserle until he confesses to 1st degree murder?

Honestly, I understand that there will be torture, whether it is in the back of a squad car or on the battlefield. But I don't my government sanctioning it, because who knows whats next.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
while i'm not an advocate for torture, i believe it has its place in very extreme circumstances, like the child believed to be buried alive. "hypothetical" you say?

"anecdotal" i say

and in the linked article, you'll find torture wasn't used, but the threat of torture. on some it works, on some it doesn't. on all it should be an absolute last resort, and only to save innocent human life. i think we can agree an 11 y.o. boy can be presumed to be innocent, especially given the case he was used for ransom

If it perpetuates violence, then no, I don't feel its worth the cost. If it can prevent violence, I would say it is worth the cost. But what happens then the benefits don't substantially outweigh the drawbacks?

Manimal, as much as I agree with you the preventative measures need to be taken, and sometimes the rules need to be ignored to effectively get things done, I feel this is only applicable to a point. Eventually people start to question whether or not some people are just trigger (happy so to speak), and will read far to into something just to futher their cause. Try to avoid turning this into an "us vs them" situation (you're either for us or against, as #43 put it). That's one of the reasons we got into this whole boondoggle in the first place.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Manimal, as much as I agree with you the preventative measures need to be taken, and sometimes the rules need to be ignored to effectively get things done, I feel this is only applicable to a point. Eventually people start to question whether or not some people are just trigger (happy so to speak), and will read far to into something just to futher their cause. Try to avoid turning this into an "us vs them" situation (you're either for us or against, as #43 put it). That's one of the reasons we got into this whole boondoggle in the first place.
you are correct and i thank you for calling me on that. i would also like to clear up the assumption that i would ever step out of the bounds of due process in my profession. i will never deal with a mass casuality situation where the means would justify the end...and i'm not going to ruin my reputation in court or on the street by crossing the line just to make a bigger bust. i am simply arguing for the sake of keeping torture as an option in specific situations. and yes, there must be some serious check/balance measures to ensure that, if and when a situation calls for it, it is done properly and not arbitrarily.
again, this is not a topic for the weak of stomach but it is something that must be considered as an option when the need arises. the problem has been the lack of oversight of the current program.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Let's leave you out of it.

i am simply arguing for the sake of keeping torture as an option in specific situations. and yes, there must be some serious check/balance measures to ensure that, if and when a situation calls for it, it is done properly and not arbitrarily.
So how exactly would one torture someone properly?
Say someone won't talk. Do you torture their families instead? Just where is the line?

...but it is something that must be considered as an option when the need arises.
Again, I say what is that need, and how could you trust the information you might get?

...the problem has been the lack of oversight of the current program.
For there to be oversight it would have to be legitimized. If we are willing to torture to meet our objectives, how would this make America™ any better than those poor souls who hate us for our freedoms?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you are correct and i thank you for calling me on that. i would also like to clear up the assumption that i would ever step out of the bounds of due process in my profession. i will never deal with a mass casuality situation where the means would justify the end...and i'm not going to ruin my reputation in court or on the street by crossing the line just to make a bigger bust. i am simply arguing for the sake of keeping torture as an option in specific situations. and yes, there must be some serious check/balance measures to ensure that, if and when a situation calls for it, it is done properly and not arbitrarily.
again, this is not a topic for the weak of stomach but it is something that must be considered as an option when the need arises. the problem has been the lack of oversight of the current program.
Glad we're on the same page :cheers:

R-Rick, there are some monsters out there I wouldn't think twice about torturing. Hitler, Pol Pot, Mussolini, Mugabe... you get the idea.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
this is where you and I differ, my political beliefs aren't based in fear. A constitutional government which practices torture is "fvck you" to the moral obligation that exists when you claim world power status.