Quantcast

Enough with the sucky Galbraith map!

silversurfer

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
wet hole
Does anyone have a link to a topo with the trails on Galbraith? I know, I know, hook up with a local, go ride and explore, it ain't that big a place, go figger it out.

Everytime, i try following this damn map, I have to check it nine times per trail to try and figure out the crayon on napkin markings, and how they relate to where I'm standing. I know the fireroads are numbered, so why are they not numbered on the map? Real simple way to help people orient themselves. Or is it a way to prove that if you ain't a local and in the know you're just not cool.

Let me put it this way. Halfway through the ride, i realized how useless the map was, and since I was stuffed up, I blew my nose in it. I realized that my dried snot was a better illustration of the mountain, so I started following that and my ride improved. In other words, If I put the map in the middle of the road, and my dog took a crap on it, no wait, if my dog got hit by a car while taking a crap on it, the resulting stains on the paper would be a better rendering of the trails on Galbraith.

So now that's out of my system, do you guys know the trails featured in the Preston FR video on the Transition website? I need to find the more down, down, down, and less traverse, traverse, traverse. I've ridden alot of the north trails, but I haven't been to the towers yet. I was told the south side is more freeridey, and I played around in the rain there yesterday, but didn't find much good stuff. Any info will be good.

Thanks,

b

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Dude, I am 100% with you on that. Two trips up there I have tried to follow that piece of crap. The last time I gave it away to a pair of lost hikers I found mid-ride, and did better orienteering by the view off the mountain and the hiking compass I brought. Total waste of money.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Maps are confusing on galbraith, and that map from galbraithmt.com isprobably not as good as the local knowledge map. The WHIMPs are working on getting the local knowlege map online to download (possibly for free). Some updates need to be made and I will be sure to let everyone know when it is available.

In the transition video the trails are Evolution (which is getting better by the week it seems), Shawn's, 911, possibly the Luge, and a few others.