Votes: 1 7.1%
  • other

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

pau1

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
virginia beach
I am trying to stay within the price range of the bikes listed. The only reason I chose these bikes is because they are the only ones in my budget that the local shops carry and I was not really looking to get one off the internet. If you chose other, explain which bike and why. Thanks.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
not too familiar with those except maybe the jamis. is that the cromo one?

try and post up some pics and specs if you can.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
We have a dj 50 at the shop. The spec on it is just total junk. If you can save up a little bit more and step up to the khs dj 100 that would make you alot happier in the long run.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i think the DK Xenia is one of the best for the money. i'm biased cuz i had one and loved it.

if you have a bit more money, consider the EASTERN Thunderbird, Specialized P.1 or P.2, Blackmarket .357, or Giant STP.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
commencal absolute maxmax maybe? cro-mo, it's rigid and yeah, has v-brakes, but suspension forks at that level of bike are probably more of a headache and liability than rigid. $465

that or save up for an extra month and get something you can actually rally w/o having to upgrade...like a Specialized P1 ($940 for 2009 bike) or a Black Market Three57 ($1049 for 2009 bikes)

here's the commencal (2008 version)

pau1

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
virginia beach
©2001;3054169 said:
commencal absolute maxmax maybe? cro-mo, it's rigid and yeah, has v-brakes, but suspension forks at that level of bike are probably more of a headache and liability than rigid. $465
You're prob right but I was looking for a bike with gears and fs. I am just seeing what my options are.
i think the DK Xenia is one of the best for the money. i'm biased cuz i had one and loved it.

if you have a bit more money, consider the EASTERN Thunderbird, Specialized P.1 or P.2, Blackmarket .357, or Giant STP.
The Xenia is a nice bike but I was looking for something with gears. I may just save some money but I'm seeing if there was anything decent in my price range.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
you also might want to take a good hard look at the mongoose line-up. the shop i use to work at carries them and they same to be very well built for the money. i know the frame is good but i have not looked too much into the part spec. dollar for dollar i bet you will find those bike very well spec'ed

pau1

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
virginia beach
I've decided that I don't need to get the bike at the lbs. What are the best bikes out there complete with a front suspension for under $1000?

pau1

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
virginia beach
why do you want gears ?
SS is the way to go for dirt jumping, pump track etc.
I still want to be able to ride trails. Maybe I can get away with SS. I used to ride the 20 on the same trails when I was a kid but now I'm older and needed some help. hah