Quantcast

Entry level DSLR recommendations

huckqueen

Chimp
Jun 8, 2006
CT
Hi all. I don't post much but I thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone has some suggestions. I'm looking for an entry level DSLR camera for my husband. He's only just ever used point & shoot cameras. He's interested in nature, outdoors type of shooting. Animals, scenery etc. Also any suggestions on photograhy classes (in CT). Or good entry level books. Thanks!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I definitely agree that he should go to the store and touch the cameras. That's so important, especially when the features of the camera are actually going to take a backseat to learning here.

Feature-wise, both Canon and Nikon have great offerings. They feel completely different, though, and he may have a strong preference for one or the other.

I second picking up a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Good, easy-to-read book.

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
I have rather large hands and find that nikons fit me better than canons. However, like everyone has said, he won't know which he likes until he holds both.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I definitely agree that he should go to the store and touch the cameras. That's so important, especially when the features of the camera are actually going to take a backseat to learning here.

Feature-wise, both Canon and Nikon have great offerings. They feel completely different, though, and he may have a strong preference for one or the other.

I second picking up a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Good, easy-to-read book.
All of this. :thumb:

One thing to note is that in order to get the most out of your (husband's) DSLR you'll need to get not just the body, but a decent lens and possibly a flash as well. This is especially true if you're going to be doing action sports photography (like hucking off the jumps at Trumbull).

To keep in mind for lenses for sports:
Fast AF motor - Sigma's is HSM, Canon's is USM, Nikon's is AF-S, etc.
Fast Aperture - Often referred to as 2.8 and above (smaller number), certain bodies will actually focus faster with these lenses. Know this is true for Canon, not sure about Nikons.

Hope this helps!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Often referred to as 2.8 and above (smaller number), certain bodies will actually focus faster with these lenses. Know this is true for Canon, not sure about Nikons.
Universally true, as the more light hits the sensor, the easier it is for the camera to focus.

auzzy

Chimp
May 1, 2008
Victoria, BC
I've always been a fan of the Pentax K series, pretty affordable. If you husband has some huge paws, then a battery pack will definitely bulk a camera up.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Universally true, as the more light hits the sensor, the easier it is for the camera to focus.
What he means is that some 2.8 canon lenses will activate additional AF sensors on certain canon bodies, this is true.

Something like the 300 2.8 actually activates additional cross type sensors which pick up contrast horizontally and vertically vs the standard vertical only sensors.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Uhm... Only on certain camera bodies, but anyway, that's true on Nikon bodies as well.

But, in fact, ALL cameras respond better with wide aperture lenses.

In any event: I'd probably recommend staying away from nit-picking on autofocus motors and apertures on your husband's first camera. Get an entry-level kit with a lens, maybe pick up something like the Nikon kit that has the combination of the 18-55mm lens and the 55-200mm lens, that will let him have flexibility and figure out what suits him.

abbike18

Chimp
Aug 23, 2009
in my opinion, quality lenses are more important than the camera body. I shoot an old rebel XTi with canon L series lenses. you can get good quality from a nice lens/bad body combo, but not the best body in the world can save a picture taken through a crappy lens. kit lenses (ie canon's 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens) don't really take advantage of the abilities of a DSLR camera. There is an excellent used market over at http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

Agreed on all counts. Nikon and Canon cameras have the same controls, but laid out in very different manners. You need to be comfortable with them, so you really do have to handle them.

Also agreed on that book.