Quantcast

Entry Level Hardtail Comparison

billab0ng86

Chimp
Sep 14, 2008
Lancaster Pa
Sep 16, 2008
Blackstone, MA
Ive never heard of that brand but if that's what you can afford than pull the trigger. what kind of riding will you use it for cus it doesn't have a lot of fork travel?

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
My friends brother had a Response sport and the head tube wallowed out on him after a little over a year and the frame was done. I don't have a problem with Diamondback products but I felt that should be mentioned seeing as it is one of your options.

I just purchased an 09 Jamis Komodo 1 from JensonUSA for ~$450 shipped. Comes with an RST Launch fork (which it is generally recommended you upgrade) and Tektro disc brakes which are mechanical but still good for the price of the bike. It's a nice bike to get you out riding and be able to upgrade as you can afford it. My last bike was stolen and I'm having a rough time with finances right now but I missed riding so I got this bike even though I didn't really have the expendable cash. When I have the money I'll be getting a RockShox PIKE fork and hydro brakes, but she does the job very well for now (a lot better then my old Diamondback Sorrento and about the same price).

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
for a beginers bike, nothing beats lbs advice when it comes to sizing, specs and upgradeability. trek and specialized make great entry level hardtails.
plus, you usually get a free tune up, helpful tips and info on trails and group rides.

I wouldnt focus on upgrading a hardtail much, as (if you like the sport), you will step up to a full suspension eventually.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I wouldnt focus on upgrading a hardtail much, as (if you like the sport), you will step up to a full suspension eventually.
I agree with everything but this. It's circumstantial and dependent on where/what/how you ride. I personally don't need a full suspension and a hardtail is generally cheaper to own and maintain. I do agree that going to your local LBS and checking bikes out is your best bet on size/fit.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I agree with everything but this. It's circumstantial and dependent on where/what/how you ride. I personally don't need a full suspension and a hardtail is generally cheaper to own and maintain. I do agree that going to your local LBS and checking bikes out is your best bet on size/fit.
for a beginers bike, nothing beats lbs advice when it comes to sizing, specs and upgradeability. trek and specialized make great entry level hardtails.
plus, you usually get a free tune up, helpful tips and info on trails and group rides.

i haven't heard of the Nashbar bike either so I can't really comment on it's reliability. I personally would check out you local bike shop and see what they've got around. It's a good time to buy as they'll be getting ride of older models for the newest ones.

You may also want to check out used hardtails. Lots of people buy & sell their bikes regularly so you might luck into a good deal that way and end up with better components.

As for the advice on upgrading a hardtail...it's all personal preference. I ride very rocky/rooty technical trails and love my hardtail the most. I have a beautiful Yeti 575 that doesn't get ridden nearly as much as my Orbea hardtail (that I was fortunate enough to build with high end parts).

dogger484

Chimp
Nov 6, 2010
Curbjumper, Sweet Bike! I have an 05 Komodo thats still kicking ass like the day I bought it!