Quantcast

Entry-level road bike feedback needed

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
As a lot of you already know, I'm trying to decide on a good entry-level road bike. I'm primarily a mountain biker, but I'd really like something to train on and to use to explore some beautiful back roads. Money's definitely an issue, so I was looking at both the Specialized Allez and the Trek 1000 (their women specific model). I'm having trouble finding anything used and I've got a great Trek dealer, so I'm hoping he'll cut me a good deal.

Any opinions? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
bluebug32 said:
As a lot of you already know, I'm trying to decide on a good entry-level road bike. I'm primarily a mountain biker, but I'd really like something to train on and to use to explore some beautiful back roads. Money's definitely an issue, so I was looking at both the Specialized Allez and the Trek 1000 (their women specific model). I'm having trouble finding anything used and I've got a great Trek dealer, so I'm hoping he'll cut me a good deal.

Thanks!
Go with the one that feels better to you and the shop that will fit you and back you up.

;)

J

JRB

I actually have the pics to send you tonight, bb. The top tube is about 53.5 cm.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
bluebug32 said:

Thanks!
Firstly, I read some of the wonderful answers on this thread. I will be making my responses in a separate post.

The first thing to consider with any bike is the frame. One thing about the Allez and the 1000WSD is they are using their lowest quality aluminum, meaning the frame will be a bit heavy and the ride quality will be a bit sluggish.

Moving to the $1100-$1200 price range (Allez Elite and 1500WSD) will get you better frames (and better parts as well). These bikes will ride nicer immediately, and worthy of future upgrades.

However, the $900 bikes (Allez Sport and the 1200) use the same frames as lower models.

Also the Dolce and the Dolce Elite (Specialized's womens models) are identical in frame and part spec to the Allez and the Allez Elite, as well as being the same exact price (despite what the website says). The fit will be better, like smaller brake levers and women's saddles. However, I hate the colors of the Dolce lines....

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
Fuji has an entry level road bike with Sora components for about 450.... If you just want to get on the road and train, and you're not worried much about gear yet.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
GravityFreakTJ said:
Just make sure it has a double or LordOpie will lay the smackdown on ya :thumb:
One ring to rule them all!

Serial Midget said:
Meh... anything off the rack is bound to be fine if its your first road bike. As L'ooopie will attest - its your second road bike you should be concerned about. ;)
haha, yup!

Truth is, I'm glad I bought the cheapest, non-crap bike on the market for my first bike. I've learned a lot and know for a fact that my ignorance before would've lead me to buy a more expensive bike that would've still be wrong for me.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
bluebug32 said:
Which, out of all the entry-level components they use, are the best to look for?
I would try to stay with 9 speed shifters. If you ride 2-3 times a week, anything less than Shimano 105 will fall apart. Sora I believe is 8 speed, but Tiagra is 9.

You can make an easy upgrade of the shifters or the cassette without having to change everything. Otherwise you would have to change both components (and possibly the front derailleur) if any of these parts failed..