Quantcast

Epic ride in the Adirondacks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am thinking about visiting Lake Placid this summer. It might just be a hike to Marcy (which I have done), but I wouldn't mind doing some epic ride.

I was thinking about riding to the top of Whiteface (one of the High Peaks I have not been on the top). I was surfing the Whiteface site, and it mentioned a Memorial Highway. Is it is a fireroad most of the way, or is it all paved?

And is there a singletrack/fireroad way to the top? And what is a good trail to follow down for a XC guy? The guy I would go with is a Xterra-type rider, and I would not head down some monster huck trail.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
The road up whiteface is paved. As far as I know there is only the road and the hiking trail up it, but then again I never looked into riding it. Definately don't hike it...the trail crosses the road at least once and its a total drag hearing cars and getting to the top of a mountain there there is like a shop, stairs and hordes of overweight non outdoors people. If you are doing a hike do algonquin. Its not much less elevation then marcy and the trail is much shorter which translates to a much steeper grade climb. I haven't done marcy but I've heard from people who did both algonquin was harder. If you are patient enough for the clouds to clear up the view is great from atop it as well. Its right next to marcy, when you go from the adirondack lodge you just dont go toward marcy damn you head to the right instead. O yeah you probably already know this but make sure to bear bag it if you stay over, marcy damn area gets hit with bears quite a bit. 'Nother good hike is the bears den, dial, nipple top trail where you hit all three peaks in one trail. Think that was like 13 miles long or somethin not too terrible and kinda cool hitting three peaks in one shot (although I'm pretty sure only dial and nippletop are high peaks) Anyways digressions aside have a good time, gotta love the daks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I should clarify, that if I hike, it will probably the Marcy/Haystack duo.

On a mountain bike, I would like to go to the top of a High Peak like Whiteface, but any recommendation would be welcome.

Are there any other trails to the top of a High Peak?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
GumbaFish said:
The road up whiteface is paved. As far as I know there is only the road and the hiking trail up it, but then again I never looked into riding it. Definately don't hike it...the trail crosses the road at least once and its a total drag hearing cars and getting to the top of a mountain there there is like a shop, stairs and hordes of overweight non outdoors people. If you are doing a hike do algonquin. Its not much less elevation then marcy and the trail is much shorter which translates to a much steeper grade climb. I haven't done marcy but I've heard from people who did both algonquin was harder. If you are patient enough for the clouds to clear up the view is great from atop it as well. Its right next to marcy, when you go from the adirondack lodge you just dont go toward marcy damn you head to the right instead. O yeah you probably already know this but make sure to bear bag it if you stay over, marcy damn area gets hit with bears quite a bit. 'Nother good hike is the bears den, dial, nipple top trail where you hit all three peaks in one trail. Think that was like 13 miles long or somethin not too terrible and kinda cool hitting three peaks in one shot (although I'm pretty sure only dial and nippletop are high peaks) Anyways digressions aside have a good time, gotta love the daks
I have hiked Marcy, Haystack, and Algonquin (and a few other high peaks). Algonquin was rough, but it was just a day hike. I camped halfway to Marcy, and did Marcy and Haystack the next day. Although looking back, I should have death marched to Skylight as well...

pedaler845

Chimp
Mar 29, 2005
It would be great to find some epic rides in the ADK's. I'm hoping someone knows something about riding there. BTW, the place doesnt get "hit with bears," they live there! Geez!

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Well I obviously know that bears live there, I was just saying marcy damn gets more human bear interaction because of the amount of people that stay there and the bears frequent it more due to all of the food people have there and whatnot.