Quantcast

Epic Rides' Carson City Capitol 50.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Did this promoter's 24OP back in 2006, and always wanted to do another event with him. Had to wait 10 years, and when I heard about it, I was first in the resident sign-up line a few months ago. Figured since the cost was the same for the 35 as the 50, why not get my money's worth and do the longer? Boy, was I in for an eye opener.

Carson City embraced the event by having the section of the main street in front of the capitol closed for the expo and starting area. The start Saturday was led out by the Sheriff's Department, and the first 12-ish miles were all uphill. At the top, the view of Lake Tahoe was gorgeous. Though windy and the clouds looked threatening, only the wind played any factor. Over to Marlette Lake, north on the Rim Trail, through a few snow banks, lots of downhill single track, then the final climb out to the finish. Now it hits...... severe cramps in my left leg made riding, or even hiking, a royal bitch. What started out as a plan to finish in about 7 hours, ended up taking me a bit over 9. But I finished, and received my finishers' railroad spike.

Afterwards, I was able to meet up with the promoter, Todd Sadow, as I had something to say to him I had waited 10 years to do. You see, back at the 24OP, I had misplaced my cam-corder and tapes, and the tapes were of Alaina. I contacted him, he said it was turned in, and after a bit of joking (It'll cost $1mil to have it shipped), he sent it back to me. When I saw him Saturday, I told that even though his events were excellent, and that I had thanked him via email for the return, I had been wanting to thank him in person, as there is truly no value that can be put on the tapes. Let's say he understood and was very appreciative of my words.

Maybe next year, I'll do the 35 and not beat myself so much as I did this year.........